5 33.33%
  • Arc of Infinity Version 2

2 13.33%
  • Android Invasion

6 40.00%
  • Visitation Version 1

0 0%

Default Target Cover Competition - Group 2

Power of the Daleks looks a little bit dull, and the way Troughton's face merges with the Daleks is quite poorly done.
    Armageddon Factor loses out because Bill Donohoe creates a likeness of Tom Baker that almost, but not quite, looks nothing like him. The Mary Tamm likeness is a bit better though.
    Arc of Infinity looks quite dull, although it's still preferable to the original cover. Omega looks quite good on it, but that's about it.
    Android Invasion is a great cover, showing one of the most iconic scenes of the story.
    Visitation suffers from the same syndrome that most of the photographic covers have. Not the fact that they are photos in the first place, more that the pictures used are real non-events for the most part.

Android Invasion is a clear vote winner for me in this company.

I agree with a lot of that, Paul, although I'd also add that I think the Tom likeness on The Android Invasion is pretty poor too. I'm going for Arc because it's my favourite of this lot by some margin - as ever, it's not a perfect Davison, and I think it would have been more satisfying if his lapels had continued down to a point rather than just being arbitrarily cut off, but that is probably being really picky. One thing's for sure, it's a vast improvement on its photocover predecessor!!

although I'd also add that I think the Tom likeness on The Android Invasion is pretty poor too.
    It's a bit harder to tell being a smaller scale, and doesn't stand out so badly. Styggron looks good though.

Wayne Guest

This is a pretty duff bunch if you ask me, But the best one IMO is 'The Armageddon Factor.

I really don't like the later covers that were done when they started using photographs instead of the drawings so my choice is Android Invasion.t

I really rather like Arc of Infinity and it's 8 point star thingy.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Dull set indeed! Never mind poor likenesses, there's not even any effort on the Visitation

Android Invasion is marginally ahead of the rest with a cover that links properly in with the story.

Power and Arc are very orange, Android is very grey, Visitation is very blue. Grief, I'm picky today! Armageddon is a very detailed cover so i'll go with that.

Gawd these are dull. I've gone for The Armageddon Factor on the personal basis that it's not quite as bad as the rest. Although The Android Invasion is a close second. Although the Tom on Android & Tamm on Armageddon are quite poor.

Pip Madeley Guest

The Power Of The Daleks - I'm going for this because I rather like it. A lovely Dalek, a TARDIS, and the Doctor, all against a gorgeous, warm orange. Works for me!

The Armageddon Factor - shame they didn't use an image of The Shadow... concept's passable, but in the event, badly realised.

Arc Of Infinity - quality artwork, it would win in any other round.

The Android Invasion - like Armageddon, it's a good design but looks terribly bland and boring in the event... only Styggron's skin stands out, and even that's the wrong colour.

The Visitation - oh come on...

As others have said, not the finest selection, but 'The Android Invasion' at least features a memorable image, so that's getting my vote.

I really, really want to vote for The Visitation. It may be derided for being unimaginative now, but walking upstairs into Smiths to be greeted with that cover was quite a shocking, and very happy experience. I still love it.

But you had to stick it in a group with Android Invasion which has such an iconic cover, so I have to vote for that really.

The other three are crap though.

Make way for a naval officer!

Actually you're right, and I feel bad about moaning over the Visitation cover. At the time it was very exciting to have a photo cover on a new book, and certainly looked just as exciting as The Leisure Hive which came out about the same time.

But it's only that initial excitement that could be offered in its defence, as the photos chosen were probably without exception the dullest pic's imaginable!!

On the whole I agree, but I like this one. He's welcoming us to a new golden age

Can't think of any other photo cover of that period that worked as well though.

Make way for a naval officer!

Can't think of any other photo cover of that period that worked as well though.
    Earthshock. It was at least a dramatic pose.

Of the Doctor with a gun - controversial!

Plus no Cybermen!!