Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Daemons - BBC Four 21st/22nd October

As part of some themed excavation/burial week (?), BBC Four are also showing a Silbury Hill documentary.

We can hope it'll be a better picture than the UK Gold repeats, and perhaps the VHS?

Steve Roberts had this to say on the RT forum.....

It's BBC4, not exactly a budget-rich channel!

When they told me about this a few weeks ago, I suggested that if they could find the money it might be worth giving it a quick DVNR and grade. I believe they might be doing something, but I'm not sure what scale.

We have supplied new front titles and end credits for their two-part version though.

Steve
    First three episodes on the 21st, other two the following night, iirc.

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Wayne Guest

ooh! A better picture quality would certainly be most welcome to tide over until the dvd release.

Yes the picture quality on the VHS is pretty poor so this sounds like a bonus - is you recorder ready and able Wayne?

Wayne's recorder never sleeps!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Yes the picture quality on the VHS is pretty poor so this sounds like a bonus - is you recorder ready and able Wayne?
    I think it's about time you bought one.

Mine has been playing up as you know. I recorded stuff on Friday night, & it behaved itself, but i can't guarantee anything, & i can't afford to buy a new one at this point. I'm hoping it'll hold out until after xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I think it's about time you bought one.
    I should look into it - I just wasn't sure what to buy before plus I had hassle getting digital on my main set as it's on the portable I think I already had too many connections. I guess if I can transfer the last few VHS videos I have onto shiny disc I can get shot of the VHS recorder which is pretty much redundant now.

Wayne Guest

If you rig your digibox through your dvd recorder, (if you get one) You can record a lovely digital picture staight to disc.
    In the meantime, i'll obviously do my best to record 'The Daemons', & hopefully, i won't be the only one here to do so. Just in case.

Captain Tancredi Guest

It's the wrong time of year. They should be showing it at Beltane, not ten days before Halloween!

Apparently, BBC Four will be showing it in two edited omnibuses. A three part edit (for 1-3) & then eps 4 & 5 edited together.

Boo.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

Doesn't bother me, it's not as if it'll never get a episodic DVD release...

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Apparently, BBC Four will be showing it in two edited omnibuses. A three part edit (for 1-3) & then eps 4 & 5 edited together.
    Not the first time it's been repeated in omnibus format, I think- and doing it that way means there'll only be one drop in picture quality from Part 4 to Part 5.

Might be worth having a look at this.

Oh Yes, I cannot Wait.

Pip Madeley Guest

The Radio Times website says episodes one, two and three will be broadcast on Sunday 21st October at 7.00-7.25pm, 7.25pm-7.50pm and 7.50pm-8.15pm. The concluding episodes are to be broadcast the day after, on Monday 22nd October at 7.40-8.05pm and 8.05-8.30pm.

I thought they were omnibus editions?

Captain Tancredi Guest

Not editing them into two compilations probably saves time and money- easier to just order the five episodes up as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    The Radio Times website says episodes one, two and three will be broadcast on Sunday 21st October at 7.00-7.25pm, 7.25pm-7.50pm and 7.50pm-8.15pm. The concluding episodes are to be broadcast the day after, on Monday 22nd October at 7.40-8.05pm and 8.05-8.30pm.

I thought they were omnibus editions?
    I thought this, but apparently the Radio Times listed BBC Four's 'The Green Death' the same way, but showed that in omnibus format.

I'll deffo be recording this as it's a story I don't even have on VHS!

This should just about fit a 2hr recordable DVD at a tight squeeze?

Pip Madeley Guest

Yep, the episodic version comes to 2 hours 2mins 21secs, so with the relevant titles/credits removed it will come in under 2 hours.

Pip Madeley Guest

Part one:

Doctor Who and the Daemons
    Part of Archeology Night. First 3 episodes of the series aired in 1971. The Doctor and Jo sense something is wrong with an archaeolgical dig at Devil's End. With Jon Pertwee and Katy Manning. [S]

Sun 21 Oct, 19:00-20:10 70mins Stereo

I'm making arrangements for a digital recording

Wayne Guest

Hurrah! Always best to have a back up plan in case my dvd recorder goes tits up again.

Pip Madeley Guest

I take it PS will be dead at 7pm tonight?

I know I'm a bit, sniff, dumb but, how can it be in stereo? Presumably it was only recorded in mono, back in 1971?

If I liked the story I'd bother DVDing it!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.