Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moments of Yeah, Moments of Bleeagh

Come on then, tell us the moments of Doctor Who that made you punch the air in delight, and then some of those moments that made you want to hang your head in shame.

For the punching the air in delight, one that springs straight to mind is in Revenge of the Cybermen when the Doctor does the 'Your pathetic' speech.

Despite me actually enjoying the story, Ace's 'Boom' in Battlefield makes my toes curl up everytime I see/hear it.

well moments of "BLEEAGH" now wher do you start - season 24 just embarrassing, Dobin the Panto horse in Warriors of the Deep, but even that was not as cringingly embarrassing as Ingrid Pitt's Karate kick on the Myrka in the same story..

Punch the air in delight has to be the reveal of the Cybermen at the end of Earthshock and the big booming Cyberleader "DESTROY THEM DESTROY THEM AT ONCE"...

Here's two of each off the top of my head:

Moments of Bleeagh:

* any bit from Planet of the Daleks, but particularly the bit where they go up the chimney.
    * The Rani, whenever on screen. I've still not mustered up the willpower to stick the DVD in and watch part 2 of Mark OTR.

Moments of yeah:

* - "Nothing in the world can stop me now!!!"
    * - the "It means no" speech from the end of Bad Wolf.

The only punch the air for me is the end of Bad Wolf - never happened before or since for me.

Many bad points - Susan saying "i dig it", Sarah Jane's little shrieky scream every time she falls over, Ace's "wicked", any scene with Billie Piper, mickey clinging onto a girl who goes off with another man, Nyssa and what Clive James would call "slow fighting".
    A revolution without dancing, isn't one worth having

oh and lets not forget Dodo, Adric and Mel, has ripping hair out moments..

Pip Madeley Guest

Nice thread, Paul. I think Ace's Battlefield "Boom!" has got to be a major contender for most cringeworthy moment in the show. Not forgetting the performances of Jenny Laird (Neska) in Planet Of The Spiders, and Rick James (Cotton) in The Mutants - who I think was the basis for 'Dean Learner' in Darkplace. Then there's Ingrid Pitt's insane kung-fu, the tank in Robot, the Ergon, "No, not the MIND probe", the comedy wheelie bin, the whole "Gold kills Cybermen" thing, the Nucelus of the Swarm, episodes 2-4 of The Space Museum and Underworld... the list goes on.

Greatest moments? Well, some that come to mind are the end of Bad Wolf as Larry said, the emotional ending to The Girl In The Fireplace (a high point, even if it was sad), the Ninth Doctor being faced with the Dalek, Fury From The Deep, the first regeneration, Leela slapping that lady in Fang Rock...

I'll think of more, I'm sure.

Punching the air - the end of "Bad Wolf" with that marvellous cliffhanger; and also the first appearance of the Doctor in "Rose", are the most obvious recent ones. Original series wise, memorable moments would be the return of Davros in part 2 of "Destiny of the Daleks" and likewise the return of the Cybermen in part 1 of "Earthshock" and the Master at the end of "The Keeper of Traken". My favourite, though, would probably be "Well, whoever I feel like - it's absolutely splendid!" from the very end of "Castrovalva" which really did have the feel of something tremendous beginning.

Embarassments, I have to admit I cringe every time I see the clip of Hartnell from "The Time Meddler" where he says "that's very, very, very, very, very, interesting". And McCoy's "Arthur will arrrrrise" from "Battlefield" part 4 is pretty poor too. And then of course there's the dreadful slip-up with the Timelords early in "The Five Doctors" with the "when the members of the high council are in agreement" spiel.
    Last edited by Andrew Curnow; 26th Nov 2006 at 10:57 PM.

Default Yay and Nay!

Yeah moments:

End of Bad Wolf (popular moment all round it seems)
    End of Army of Ghosts (I really hadn't seen the Daleks coming)
    Sylv's 'Unlimited Rice Pudding' speech (not especially well delivered, but really stirring)
    Tom's speech in 'Ark in Space'
    Nyssa in her underwear in Terminus

Bleurgghhh moments:

Ace's flirting in Fenric
    Adric
    Pertwee and the sandwich during the swordfight in Sea Devils
    Chloe Ashcroft in Resurrection
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Like Mr. Curnow, I love the end of Part Two of Destiny of the Daleks when Davros returns, not so much because I was cheering his return(though I was!). Just in the way it's done, with the creepy music, the twitching hand, and then the light coming on. And I've always loved the moment where the Dalek Supreme loses it in Remembrance of the Daleks and shouts 'Crush all resistannnnnnceeee!' after he sees the Doctors calling card.

Lots of Bleeagh moments, but Cotton from The Mutants stands out, worst performance in the history of Who. Funnily enough I shared Mr. Pips thoughts about the Dean Learner comparison when I was watching it last night

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    Funnily enough I shared Mr. Pips thoughts about the Dean Learner comparison when I was watching it last night
    Ah, Dean Learner, TV legend!

Another bleurgghh moment has to be any time Sylvester McCoy gets angry!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Pip Madeley Guest

Lots of Bleeagh moments, but Cotton from The Mutants stands out, worst performance in the history of Who. Funnily enough I shared Mr. Pips thoughts about the Dean Learner comparison when I was watching it last night

Probably something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post

Probably something like this.

'Flying objects! It beggers belief!'

Pip Madeley Guest

'Flying objects! It beggers belief!'
    Good Gravy!

A couple of other great moments include:

The Doctor's waiting behind and dealing with Koquillion/Bennett in Rescue
    The Doctor's "Keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut." comment to Klieg in Tomb of thr Cybermen.

I don't know about 'punching the air in delight', bt a few of my favourite little moments are:

Watkins finally being pushed too far and actually trying to kill Vaughan in The Invasion.

The exchange between Leela and Rodan in The Invasion Of Time:
    'Reason dictates the Doctor is a traitor.'
    'Never!'
    'Reason dictates!'
    'Then reason is a liar!'

As for the cringe-worthy moments, well, let's be honest there are a few. The Myrka; the first appearance of the Gel Guards, or more specifically the moment they start moving and grunting; and loads more. BUt, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the one that always, always, no matter what mood I am in, makes me want to hurl things at the TV.....

'That's it, Doc, now we're getting at the dirt!'

NNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!
    "The power's gonna kill you and it's my fault!"

"BUT YOU HAVE NO WEAPONS! NO RESOURCES! NO PLAN!"
    "Yeah- and doesn't that scare you to death?"
    Plus the sheer volume of Daleks in the closing scene. (I believe I shouted a naughty word at that point)

"Ttttt-Tractators!"

"The Nemesis heard your orders, understood them... and disobeyed them!"

"They've been following our signal," in The Seeds of Death, followed by the Doctor's resignation to death, and his reaction of Jamie's arrival and rescue.

"Fuscham's a traitor!"
    "He saved my life."

"I killed him... and he forgave me. Why did he have to be so nice about it?"

"Goodbye Tegan... I'll see you soon." One of his better deliveries. He knows.

Everything about Warriors' Gate (see below however).

Bleagh!

Jenny Laird.

"You all look the same without your sashes..."
    "I had never thought of that!"

"The backblast backlash will bounce back and destroy everything!"

another bleeagh moment has to be the ending of episode 3 of Death to the Daleks - I mean a chequred floor as a cliff hanger what was all that about.

and those ridiculous guns those blokes on the space station had in Reserection of the Daleks - all they did was make a funny sound when a little light bulb lit up..o

That Death To The Daleks cliffhanger is a little unfairly maligned, I think. Yes, OK, it's a pattern on the floor. But look at it from the point of view of watching this for the first time. The Doctor and Bellal are walking cautiously along when the Doctor suddenly cries 'wait, stop!'. The sting comes in immediately after the words are spoken, and the closing image is the weird pattern. I would think that would leave the original viewer, who had to wait a full week to find out what was going on, rather perplexed and wanting to tune in to find out what that was all about and what had worried the Doctor so much.

The purpose of the cliffhanger is not necessarily to be dramatic but to leave you wanting to know what is going to happen next. I think that one works just as well as any other. Had the Doctor just wandered in, looked at the floor and calmly said 'oh, I wonder what that's all about...' it would have been poor, or had he not noticed it before we got the close-up and the closing sting, but I think as it is it works quite well.

Favourite:

"Doc.... torrrrrrrr"
    "Impossible....."
    "THE Doctor!!!"

Bleeagh:

Ace. Wherever she is, whatever she is doing. Irritating woman. Sorry.
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaT View Post
    Bleeagh:

Ace. Wherever she is, whatever she is doing. Irritating woman. Sorry.
    just imagin it Ace, Adric, and Mel all companions at the same time now that would of been a 9.8 on the richter scale BLEEGH..

I feel a Bleughhh moment everytime Prentis Hancock shouts at someone or accuses the Doctor of doing all the murders in Planet of Evil.

I feel a Yeah moment every time Tom grins!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

My Bleurgh moment would be Sarah's moment of emancipation in "Spiders".
    "Goodbye Savor, Toa..."
    The Doctor is reduced to a blundering ninny.
    "I've lost the TARDIS key!"
    But Super Sarah has everything under control.
    "I've got it!"
    "Oh Sarah!"

For Yeaaahh moments, I'd say the Pertwee Doctor's moment of realisation in "Inferno" - "The future can be changed! So free will is not an illusion after all..." (sends chills up my spine).

Also the various obelisk captures in "The Five Doctors". Woo!

Si.

Also the various obelisk captures in "The Five Doctors". Woo!
    They're not bad, but Five Doctors does have a lot of Bleugh moments too. Sarah falling down the slight incline, like she's falling down a mountain. The tripping/ankle damage Susan scene. The Chancellery Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    They're not bad, but Five Doctors does have a lot of Bleugh moments too. Sarah falling down the slight incline, like she's falling down a mountain. The tripping/ankle damage Susan scene. The Chancellery Guard.
    "NO NOT THE MIND PROBE"....

I purposefully ignored that one. It's better that way.