WhiteCrow Guest

Default Warriors of Kudlak (parts 1 & 2)

Well managed to see part 1 of this on CBBC tonight.

I have to say I really enjoyed this, 10/10, quite an original idea for a story, it feels like the series is clicking together now.

The story feels a bit like a retread of The War Games ... for Kids, but is no bad thing for it. There's even a bit of depth to this, do places like Laserquest and our love of First Person Shooters actually groom a next generation of cannon fodder to sign up and ship off to Iraq? Feels a bit Star Trek there.

And the alien makeup was pretty damn yuckie. Well done all around.

Yup, just been watching this courtesy of Virgin Media On Demand, which thankfully has been recording every CBBC episode so far. Hadn't thought of War Games, but the comparison seems a valid one.

I really enjoyed this, and it's keeping the poignant stuff coming - first Sarah's reaction towards the Slitheen child's pleading, then the Alzheimers stuff and the crying statue, and now Luke's distress at his bad-taste joke. Indeed, the Iraq references mark this out as a grown-up kids series of some depth.

I have to confess that last week's trailer for this episode didn't grab me, but I found this very watchable indeed. I also like the way the two lads have gone off in one direction, and the two girls in another.

This really is a weekly treat that deserves a wider audience - scary that we're now halfway through the series too!

Wayne Guest

I missed it this week. Will have to try for the double, next Monday.

Haven't watched this yet, but saw the trailer after (the excellent) EotG Pt.2 last night. It's got Chook Sibtain in it, an old friend of mine I haven't seen in years! He's run out of soaps to appear in.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Like Jonno, last week's trailer for this one didn't excite me, but the episode itself turned out to be really excellent. The Mr Kudlak mask looked too like a mask in the trailer, but in the episode itself just really convinced, with all the detail in it such as the eyes and the chin-horns. Some nice dialogue (particularly Clyde) and some rather daft-but-fun moments with SJS and her weather-machine (and blow-torch!) made a really enjoyable first episode. Part two looks like it has a lot to fit in - bring it on, I say!!

I watched the first part earlier, and, while not quite as good as 'Eye Of The Gorgon', it was still very good, and worked well on several levels. This really is a childrens' series of some considerable merit, and just like the very best of 'Who', has something for all the family (Sarah's line "It's the nuts!" was surely way too risque for a kids' show, when you think about it! ).

As ever, Lis Sladen and Yasmin Paige make a great partnership, a sort of all-girl 'Doctor/companion' team, and their scenes together as Sarah and Maria are a joy, especially the scene with the weather machine (even if I didn't fully understand what that was about!).

This has to be one of the television highlights of the week.

WhiteCrow Guest

I think the Warriors of Kudlak was a superb story however you rated it - certainly felt like a story which could stand proud against some of the best of Who.

Only thing letting it down was the somewhat cut price "I have an army of motorcycle couriers".

The theme about using children as soldiers was very daring, and I think to be honest more adult and daring than anything Torchwood has managed so far, as it has echoes to what is happening in some areas of the world. Although I don't want to go all John Cravens Newsround on you ...

Wayne Guest

I watched both eps back to back, & i thought it was reasonably good, but perhaps because i watched two eps in one go, it didn't hold my attention so well. I'm finding it hard to put into perspective, because i genuinely think still think it's fab stuff for it's target audience, But i obviously don't feel the magic as much as some of you who are virtually raving about it do!
    Having said that, I did genuinely think that 'Eye of the Gorgon' was really good stuff. I got really into that one, but this one didn't the same effect on me, although i still thought it was way better than 'Revenge of the Slitheen'.

Only thing letting it down was the somewhat cut price "I have an army of motorcycle couriers".
    That's just what I thought. It was an excellent story (although part 1 was more engaging than part 2) but did just have a tinge of cheapness about it...

Blasted Virgin Media haven't recorded part 2 (not in my area anyway, don't know if On Demand is regional or national) so it's going to be at least a 2 week gap between episodes to see the conclusion.

I still think it's bad scheduling not to be repeating these on BBC2 on the following weekend.

Pip Madeley Guest

Did anyone spot the Jaggaroth spaceship?

In that picture of the Original Cyberman to the right, is he pleased to be drawn or just well endowed?

We finally saw Part 1 on the repeat this evening and enhjoyed it a great deal. Was it just us or was there deliberate reference to Kate Bush's Cloudbusting video in the weather machine Sarah made?

This looks like being a good story overall, and the standard of this series has been quite incredible so far- more so than the variable adventures of the Torchwood team. Great fun!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

A good conclusion to the story, with some great effects, a nice twist, a sympathetically-portrayed alien in Kudlak, and a very traditional 'Who' feel to it. It also reminded me of some of those kids' sci-fi series from the eighties, which is no bad thing!

And Luke got a kiss - awwww!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    It also reminded me of some of those kids' sci-fi series from the eighties, which is no bad thing!
    Are you refering to Dark Season? Does this mean we're watching the next Kate Winslet?

That was the 90s!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I don't know, it didn't remind me of any particular 80's/90's childrens' series, but just the scenes of those kids running round the spaceship put me in mind of some of those shows I used to watch.

And Mike, if you're thinking about Yasmin Paige as the next Kate Winslet, then put those thoughts from your mind, you filthy boy!

SJS is like a cross between "Dark Season" and old "Doctor Who", this episode even more so with kids trapped on a spacecraft in Orbit. The Kudlak were great, and I enjoyed the twist in the story at the end. Another great adventure for SJ.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    And Mike, if you're thinking about Yasmin Paige as the next Kate Winslet, then put those thoughts from your mind, you filthy boy!
    I checked on Wiki - she's 16 ... phew ...

I'm already looking forward to her "taking on more adult roles, so she doesn't get typecast in childrens TV".

Where have I heard that before?

Finally got round to watching ep.2 last night, and agree it was another great two-parter. And my friend Chook (Mr.Grantham) got to live to fight another day.....

This is shaping up to be a very consistent series.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild