Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Maybe. Maybe he's the stroppy one who makes demands that she isn't really bothered about. He acts as her "Doctor Who" agent and therefore makes all the convention and signing deals and conditions of appearance.

That said, maybe she has a new agent now, what with the resurgance of her career.

Make way for a naval officer!

Is Beech her bitch?

He's rather butch, Beech the bitch.

Si.

He just looks like a vile human being doesn't he? You can see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice.

I'm sure he has his good qualities though and loves his mum.

So, can we assume there's a lot of adult PSers pushing ten year olds out of the way and elbowing their way to the front in a Borders shop somewhere about now ?
    Bazinga !

Well, there will be a lot of Simon's there.

Pip Madeley Guest

I hope they ask about Sladen's botox.

Yay! Sladen was fantastic, she was so lovely! It's unbelievable but true!

Here's two Simons and a Sarah... hidden away in their somewhere! There's also our 'photographer' and general facilitator who kept things moving in the denim skirt and boots. The signing was very good, much better than a certain Barking store named after Hartnell's last story. We were allowed to get extra items signed and Sarah was really chatty and nice.

Sadly, my camera has a habit of making people shut their eyes. The girl taking the photo could have taken another... really! Ah well, poor Si.

For some reason, the people in the queue were laughing when I did this! Sladen never saw it though.

We had a fab time. My interest in signings has been renewed! I may even try to get in to the Freema/Tennant signing in a couple of weeks.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Did she say anything?

Was it busy? The pictures make it look like there were just you few there - are the queues of 1000s of kids hidden just out of camera range?

Glad to know you all had a good time though!

Great photos (even if Si was asleep). But were you the oldest in the queue ?
    Bazinga !

My fists are really clenched there - it's like I'm refusing to leave Lis and challenging the organiser for a fight. My old landlady used to say that clenched fists are a sign you are possessed by Satan.

The queue was about 45 minutes I suppose - just right; any less and it would have looked bad for Lis, any more and we'd have died. You don't mind queuing that long for someone who's worth it, and, as we pointed out, we're all hardened Doctor Who queuers and survived the Great Talons Signing so it was never going to be a problem. In fact, we enjoyed it so much that when we'd finished we determined to find another queue somewhere and do it again. There were a fair few kids about, but at least the same number of adults. There seemed to be a strong contingent of older Who fans; oddest was the woman trawling the queue giving away free "Eldrad Must Live!" badges. She offered them round and no-one moved; then she said the magic word "free" and everyone lunged for one.

But you really want to know about Lis. As we got nearer the front of the queue, it didn't bode well - a Borders Bod informed us that she "won't sign anything not BBC. She usually won't touch anything you've made yourself" (sob! There goes the chance to have my home-made "Compus Mentis and a first class journalist" sloganed mug done). But she was... a treat! She really was! She took an active interest in everyone that approached her, and (I noticed) looked everyone in the eye to acknowledge them. It was less a signing than a chat - we sat down for a photo and I unleashed a carefully rehearsed baiting comment - "We love your show!". "Well," she began. "That's certainly been the feedback so far...". Before I knew what was happening, she was chatting away to Simon about his job! And, bless her, she asked if we were students! From that moment on she had eased her way into my affections forever.

We chatted briefly about the appeal of SJA, and I said it was because it was more like Who than Who, another carefully rehearsed gambit. Simon asked her if SJA had got a second series and she smiled and raised her eyes, as if to say "yes, but you didn't hear it from me!". We eventually wandered away, not because some irate security guard had moved us along but because we'd finished our chat with Lis, who was now moving on to Steve and his Pescatons record. I could hear Steve telling her the same anecdote about SJA being like Who that I had!

Lovely Lis! I've now decided that all her old baggyness was down to Andrew Beech trying to wangle deals on her behalf, and she was innocent all along. She looked quite fragile and petite, and she was utterly charming and polite, taking a real interest in us and happily signing anything. It wasn't like a normal Doctor Who signing - I felt like saying "no, no, this is the bit where you refuse to sign my tat and don't look at me because I happen along at the exact moment you're having a conversation with Nick Courtney" (stand up guiltily, Anneke Wills).

It was a great day, topped off afterwards by delicious tea and scones in an upmarket teashop with Si and Steve. Topping!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Lovely stuff! I think I have to go to another signing next year, my last one was Fury From The Deep, where I had the pleasure of meeting the great (and now sadly, late) Roy Spencer (Harris). Yes, I'd like to do one.

Great pics, looks like you had a fab time!

Wayne Guest

I'm really pleased for you guys, i really am! And i'm so pleased that she was nice. Sounds exactly like the one time i met her - Very warm & friendly.
    It warms the cockles yer heart, Jim lad!
    Oh, lovely pics too! She looks fantastic! Are there any more pics?

There may be... one day!

I have to say, this has really renewed my enthusiasm for signing. I hadn't been to one for years because when we went to 10th Planet, we'd get harrassed, pecked, beaten up by people in wheelchairs... it was a nightmare. But this was so nice and so well organised!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

P-Bal took some photos, so there may be more in the vaults to come shortly!

Si.

Hurrah - excellent photos and especially the write up from Si. I'm glad you all enjoyed yourselves after some of the signing debacles of the past, and it's nice that you've "made up" with Lis - I always thought she came across well in interviews and never understood the malice towards her!

have to say, this has really renewed my enthusiasm for signing. I hadn't been to one for years because when we went to 10th Planet, we'd get harrassed, pecked, beaten up by people in wheelchairs... it was a nightmare. But this was so nice and so well organised!
    I agree with these words. It was a very well organized event. We didn't queue for that long. The signing table was far enough away from the queue so as you didn't feel everyone was listening to you and the staff were friendly and made you feel welcome rather than like cattle.

Dame Elisabeth was lovely. Very small in real life. We only spoke to her for about two minutes but she seemed very genuine and lovely. I'm glad I asked her about series 2 and her looking up to the sky and pulling a "well I can't really comment on that" face was delightful.

Here it comes again...

I know not who the people in the above picture are, but you can clearly see Madamoiselle LaSladen's jaunty white boots.

I was clearly excited about the combination of Sladen audio, Sladen signing and Sladen in general. Oh yes, I surely was.

Et voila. Myself and Mr Dexter meeting Madamoiselle LaSladen. I told her that I liked her ring. As sure as eggs is eggs, that is what I said. And she did like my smell, we were all square. But she had more delights to savour but moments later...

The HaRpi Adventures coming to BBC3 in the New Year. Maybe.

And we all join in on the zig-a-zig-ah!

WhiteCrow Guest

Cameron is all whiney at the moment that he missed meeting Sarah Jane - and not pleased at seeing Steve and Si managed to meet her.

I think we have a future fan on our hands.

Pip Madeley Guest

That's a lovely pic of Sladen & HaRpi!

And I like P-Bal's red-hot pin-stripe jacket & tie action.

And I love the boots on that woman in the demin skirt. Grr.

There is some top boot action all round in that first pic.

And those other photos are surely some of the most glam ever consigned to film. Or whatever it is you consign photos to these days.

Saw Liz (and Yasmin - who is only 15!) at the weekend and I have to say that she does work very hard. Attentive to the fans, always polite, and well who cares really if she is a bit high maintenance and demanding back stage, she doesn't let it slip in public.

And yes, Andrew Beech is still around, and although he is a git he can charm for england. Just the way he is I suppose - let bygones be bygones.

And maybe there has been a note from the BBC about letting things slip (don't want them to pre-empt the press release!) but now there is no news about a second season.

Make way for a naval officer!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    and Yasmin - who is only 15!
    IMDB says she's 16?