Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

One of us is worried about K9. Will he be all right out there? Space is very big and he's only a little K9.

Si.

Wayne Guest

I watched it out of curisosity.
    There was nothing wrong with it whatsover. Perfect stuff for it's intended audience. In fact, it was probably better than i expected in many ways, but at the end of the day it didn't really excite me. It's just not my thing. I probably won't make a big effort to watch the series when it comes on. But i'll be interested to find out later if our bass player's kids liked it.

For once we seem to be in almost unanimous agreement! I thought this was tremendous fun - not too childish, although as others have said Kelsey did grate somewhat, but the other two kids were fine.

As with School Reunion, Sarah Jane was characterised beautifully - I loved the way she was initially depicted as the lonely crazy old woman who doesn't want to get to know anyone, but ended up having lemonade with her new young friend and her new son - awwww! I agree with Ian that it reminded me a bit of Tomorrow People, and other decent kid's shows like Chocky. Made for children perhaps, but of appeal to discerning adults too!

I also agree with Si that I was very much thinking 2nd cover Terror of the Autons (the one in my collection). I thought the Bane looked on a par with what we'd expect in the parent show.

Bit confused by the alien that Sarah sent home early on - looking the same as the one in the recent Torchwood episode (the Tosh centred one), weren't those aliens unfriendly?

Loved the sonic lipstick!

WhiteCrow Guest

I thought it was alright, definitely aimed for kids with the slight feeling of pantomime acting from some characters.

Of course for RTD this is returning to his Dark Season roots. Light but fun in that CBBC way.

For a kids show, I enjoyed it. It was good even though it was Doctor Who dumbed down. Sarah even has a sonic device in the form of a Sonic Lipstick.

Where did she get all that stuff from? Now as a hardened Doctor Who fan, I needed that answering as she didn't have all those gadgets when she met the 10th Doctor in School reunion. But, as a pilot for a new CBBC show, it wasnt important to explain all of that.

All in all, it was a good start.
    Last edited by duncan; 1st Jan 2007 at 7:05 PM.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    For a kids show, I enjoyed it. It was good even though it was Doctor Who dumbed down. Sarah even has a sonic device in the form of a Sonic Lipstick.

Where did she get all that stuff from? Now as a hardened Doctor Who fan, I needed that answering as she didn't have all those gadgets when she met the 10th Doctor in School reunion. But, as a pilot for a new CBBC show, it wasnt important to explain all of that.

All in all, it was a good start.
    On the website it's explained the Doctor left Sarah Jane the lippy and the watch inside K9 Mark IV.

I went over to my mum and dad's today and forgot to set a tape for this. :'(

I did, however, see a couple of minutes of it, and it looked quite enjoyable - in fact, it looked just like the children's dramas which I used to watch religiously and loved when I was on the dole.

I don't watch half as much CBBC as I'd like to now I'm working.

I'll borrow the tape off my brother and watch it at the weekend.

Trudi G Guest

Christian seemed to enjoy this - he found the idea of K9 plugging up a black hole with his bum quite funny. He did want to know if the Doctor was going to make an appearance tho...

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Vendetta View Post
    On the website it's explained the Doctor left Sarah Jane the lippy and the watch inside K9 Mark IV.
    Oh Lord, it's the RTD big gay agenda again. I mean name me one straight man who knows how to accessorise!!!

As for sticking your bum into a black hole...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Captain Tancredi Guest

It's not very nice for the people at the other end of the black hole.

I hope that all the S24 lovers appreciated the name of Sarah's road!

I did, although I was hoping they'd gone one step further, and had Sarah's house called Paradise Towers.

Perhaps she has robotic cleaners to keep it tidy - it's certainly big enough!

Forgot to mention earlier that I loved the scene when Sarah first meets Ms Wormwood in her office - it all reminded me a teeny bit of her scenes with Miss Winters in Robot.

And there was a real nod to the Pertwee era at the end with the building blown up!

Perhaps she has robotic cleaners to keep it tidy
    I can't top that - you're clearly the biggest S24 fan of us all, Jonno!

WhiteCrow Guest

And well done to the team, they've managed to create a new mother character even more terrifying than Jackie Tyler!

I watched about 10 minutes or so - I'm sure it does appeal to it's target audience but I wasn't keen

Always nice to see Liz Sladen of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Bit confused by the alien that Sarah sent home early on - looking the same as the one in the recent Torchwood episode (the Tosh centred one), weren't those aliens unfriendly?
    Oh Jonno, how disappointingly species-ist of you!

We only saw one of those aliens in Torchwood, and she was a convicted criminal and, more to the point, incarcerated with a guard. That suggests that not all her race are like her to start with. It would be a bit like judging all humans to be unfriendly killers after reading about Myra Hindley.

As to the episode, yes, perfectly targeted to its intended audience. The sonic lipstick was gloriously silly. The only thing I really didn't like was that cobblers explanation for K9's absence. Did it really need explaining at all? Couldn't they have come up with something a little better than a black hole in a safe?

Good fun, but I'll miss the rest since they will be on while I'm at work and I doubt I'll bother setting the video.

I'm its target audience. I watch CBBC every day.

8.5/10

Is this getting a repeat? I missed it.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

There's the potential to make this even more gloriously camp isn't there? Can Sarah have a teleport system in her living room for travelling about? And Mr Smith should be the car, which also should disguise itself differently every week. And every episode should end with a to-camera monologue from Sarah sitting in a bubble bath at home, always ending with her saying "Life on Earth can be an adventure too!" before giving a cheeky wink and blowing bubbles at the viewer.

Si.

And every episode should end with a to-camera monologue from Sarah sitting in a bubble bath at home, always ending with her saying "Life on Earth can be an adventure too!" before giving a cheeky wink and blowing bubbles at the viewer.
    After seeing her being interviewed in her dressing gown for Blue Peter, this seems entirely feasible!
    Couldn't they have come up with something a little better than a black hole in a safe?
    Possibly, but it did make us laugh What about a white hole in a shoebox? I love that K-9 gets the chance to make an heroic sacrifice. He's the best.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    There's the potential to make this even more gloriously camp isn't there? Can Sarah have a teleport system in her living room for travelling about? And Mr Smith should be the car, which also should disguise itself differently every week. And every episode should end with a to-camera monologue from Sarah sitting in a bubble bath at home, always ending with her saying "Life on Earth can be an adventure too!" before giving a cheeky wink and blowing bubbles at the viewer.

Si.
    If they do that I might well watch it...

Is this getting a repeat? I missed it.
    So did I. I've searched the listings and can't find it repeated anywhere.

We taped it, and could arrange a repeat showing when we see you later this month Paul! I'm sure it would go down well with all concerned!

Si.