Default Barry Letts: Who and Me

Dose any one know if this book is on sale yet and where you can buy it from I had a look in Waterstones yesterday and at Amazon today and could not find it any where.

You have to download it online I'm afraid. It doesn't seem to have had a book release as such yet.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

hmm, bitsupprised at that the way it was being advertised on O.G I assumed it was a book for general sale.

Just in case anyone has missed it, the audiobook version is out next month:

This is the first volume of memoirs from Barry Letts, producer of DOCTOR WHO from 1970 to 1974, executive producer in 1980, and later producer of the BBC's Classic Serials strand.

Barry's career started as an actor, and he switched to directing in the 1960s. WHO AND ME recounts the journey he took from struggling actor to successful producer, and the ups and downs of working on DOCTOR WHO during the Jon Pertwee years. Along the way he describes the personalities he worked with during that time, from his script editor Terrance Dicks and the stars of the series to the senior management, of the BBC with whom he had encounters.

The story is of primary interest to fans of 'classic' DOCTOR WHO, who know Barry as a key figure in the development of the series and are keen to get the inside track on his time with it.
    Si xx

I bought a copy of this earlier in the week, and we listened to it on our Nottingham trip this weekend, and I can quite honestly say it was brilliant!

What a very interesting man Barry Letts is. The CD is full of lovely little snapshots of his life before Who when he was an actor and his early days as a director, as well as flash forwards to his time on the BBC classic serials of the late 70s/ 80s which were all new to me and really interesting.

Of course, most of us will want the Who stuff, and despite him being one of the more interviewed Producers of the show there's plenty of new material here. He says he has a good memory and it really shows. There's lots of stuff about the day to day running of the series in the late 60s/ early 70s which was all new to me, and plenty of behind the scenes anecdotes and incidents. The third CD finished and we'd only got as far as the start of season 9, and we really wanted to hear more from him.

He comes across as a down to earth man, not afraid to say when he made mistakes and this makes his story all the more interesting to hear. Along the way he makes lots of good points about putting together a team of people, about how to deal with people (and bosses, and fragile actors!) making a varied listen that never gets boring.

Oh and he's honest about Jon Pertwee in a very amusing and affectionate way.

Highly recommended!

Si xx

Wayne Guest

This sounds really good.

I hope it's better that JNT's 1001 '30 second' anecdote marathon! ;-)
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

I was lucky enough to have been bought this CD for my birthday (thanks guys)
    It's taken a few weeks but I've finally finished listening to it (it's been playing in the car for a month or so).
    I can only really echo what Si has said; it's really very interesting. I really want to hear about the rest of Barry's time on the show (and beyond). The stories about his life before being producer on Who are great and really give you an insight on what it was like working in television in those days.

I think Wayne and Ralph would like this, although beware, as Si says, he's very honest about Jon Pertwee

He has some good things to say about Patrick Troughton too.

And I had to laugh towards the end of the third CD when he talks about the music on Doctor Who - he stated that Dudley Simpson used to answer his telephone by saying "Diddly Sumpson" or something along those lines!!!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    I think Wayne and Ralph would like this, although beware, as Si says, he's very honest about Jon Pertwee
    A couple of kind souls gave it to me for a present as well. I haven't started it yet, but have no fear, it's worjing it's way up the list, & i shall comment on it when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I haven't started it yet, but have no fear, it's worjing it's way up the list
    ditto

Captain Tancredi Guest

Just finished listening this evening but will have it on again soon as I've been doing things around it. Letts reads it very well and his style strikes a good balance between hard facts and anecdotes, many of which were new to me. The relationship with Jon Pertwee is an ongoing strand, and I think Letts probably nails it when he contrasts him with Patrick Troughton- Troughton being the pragmatic experienced character actor and Pertwee switching between a charismatic leading man who wasn't afraid to use his star status to lean on people for favours, and being the ugly duckling of a theatrical family suddenly thrust from being a funny voice expert on the radio to being the star of one of the nation's favourite series.

Wayne Guest

Just starting this...... It's interesting from the outset.

"Shouting in the Evening!"

I'm doing a few minutes before bed with Barry every night. It's a brilliant little set and well worth an investment - especially at the current price on Play.com.

Wayne Guest

Well as is my way, i ended up listening to the whole thing last night, & it was a really good listen.
    Barry's always struck me as a nice fellow with no big ego, & that's certainly reinforced here. I expected him to say a bit more about Roger Delgado, but maybe there'll be more in the next volume.
    I think the story about Jon Pertwee's huge disappointment in his father's lack of interest speaks volumes about some aspects of Jon's personality. It was very odd, but listening to some of his thoughts about Jon in general made me think: "God, he could be talking about me!"

@Wayne's pic.

I succumbed & ordered this from play after P-Bal said it was such a good price & everyone seems to think it's a good listen.

Waynes pic is brill!

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

Wayne's pic scares me.

I enjoying hearing Letts' reminse... reminiscen... memories, but the repetitive "comical" music at the end of each anecdote did grate a little. Minor quibble really. I look forward to the second volume!

It's in the post & will probably turn up on Monday, unless it arrives in this afternoon.

I'm listening to it too - it's great, isn't it?

Certainly is! Yes, parts of it are familiar to long-time fans, but as has been said, there's enough new stuff to be found. He reads well, too.

I found the linking music a little tiresome, but other than that, top notch!