• Englightenment

4 21.05%
  • Curse of Peladon Version 2

5 26.32%
  • Crusade Version 1

6 31.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Target Cover Competition - Group 4

The fourth group begins with another five covers, and this time round there's something a little different in there. A few unused covers have been added to this tournament and this group offers up our first one.

So that the cover underneath's image can be seen properly

This was a very hard group to choose from.

I love the Web of Fear's Yeti, but Troughton's face looks wrong from below the nose and around the cheek. Overall, I do like it though.

The Visitation cover looks quite good, and it's a shame that this wasn't the cover we got. The side on view of the Terileptil coming out of the fire looks good, but again, the Doctor's face is the weak point of the cover with Davison looking somewhat like a maniacal hardnut in it.

I like the Enlightenment cover. It's quite a good representation, and I remember thinking it was another photographic cover when I first saw it. I don't like the Davison image through the logo though.

Curse of Peladon is your typical Alister Pearson mixture. There's a lot in the picture, and the representation of Pertwee looks very good. The Ice Warrior looks too much like a Dapol toy though, and unfortunately, Pearson captures rather too good a likeness of Aggedor who looks completely unscary and more like a cuddly toy.

The Crusade has a great likeness of Hartnell on it, and the Julian Glover likeness isn't bad either but it is a little on the dull side.

Enlightenment gets my vote from this group.

Other than knowing that I won't be voting for the dull Enlightenment (and I never liked that Davo-in-da-logo) I'm not sure which to choose from this lot. I'll be back...

My Web of Fear has a blue logo, rather than purple though. Mm, fascinating Andrew, yes...

My Web of Fear has a blue logo, rather than purple though. Mm, fascinating Andrew, yes...
    The purple one was the original. The blue one came out in 1978 as a reprint.

This would be a tricky round if Web of Fear wasn't one of my absolute favourite covers ever! It's a nostalgia vote this round, as that cover is one that sticks in my memory from my first visit to Bath Library to borrow Doctor Who books... lovely hardback edition it was. awww!

Technically that Curse of Peladon cover is actaully the third cover, as there was a hardback only cover done in 1980 for the book too. I like it- nice and moody Alister cover that one.

The Visitation is a good composition let down in the execution. I'm not surprised Davison turned down the chance to have that going out in book form. An interesting curio, but not much cop.

Enlightenment is great. I even like the sneaky Davison in the logo.

The Crusaders ois probably iconic too.

Strong round, but it's Web all the way for me.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Some of these covers are alright, some are just a bit bland, but 'The Web Of Fear' is simply iconic - it gets my vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    the Doctor's face is the weak point of the cover with Davison looking somewhat like a maniacal hardnut in it.
    It doesn't help that they appear to have given him a Hitler 'tache!

gone for The Crusaders.

Pip Madeley Guest

I find it rather interesting that The Web Of Fear is considered iconic, because I think it's a bit disappointing. For a start, the likeness to Troughton isn't particularly strong, and then there's the "web" of the title, a boringly cliched spider's web rather than the pulsating thick web referred to in the story. The reprint corrected this later, but that's another story. As for the Yeti, not a bad drawing but seeing it in full contrast takes away something for me, I think a dark brooding cover akin to the 'Abominable' Target would've been the way to go.

Anyway, as for the others, Visitation is (Davison aside) good artwork, but a little bland/empty all the same, and the surrounding bright blue border just works against it. Enlightenment also has good artwork, but Davison in the logo? God no. So it's between Curse and Crusade, and for creativity, Crusade wins. Hartnell's recognisable, Julian Glover is very recognisable, and despite it being an historical setting, it's been given an exciting spacey background with a lovely colour scheme.

Wayne Guest

Web & Crusaders get the nostalgia vote, but i like Peladon best. I'm not sure if i've ever seen that particular cover before, & apart from the cuddly Aggedor, i find it quite striking.
    The others are a bit dull.

Rightly or wrongly, I dearly love the Web cover - it's true that it's not a spot-on likeness of Troughton, but it's an interesting change from Achilleos' normal black & white sketches of the title characters. And although Pip's right that the web in the story is not just a web as per the cover, I think the web design on the cover is the right choice, and looks good.

The Visitation suffers, as everybody says, from the very poor drawing of Davison's face, although the rest of it is good. It's a shame nobody had the idea to have a photo of Davison on the cover (but NOT in the logo) combined with the artwork. Ah well.

Enlightenment - yawn.

The Curse of Peladon - yes, it's nicely painted but there's no excitement or inspiration there. You could do that now on paintshop and it would look just as good I expect. So although it demonstrates what an excellent artist AP is/was, it doesn't say much for his powers of composition. It's just like a dump of images - and ALSO loses points for the shocking lack of Alpha Centauri!!!

So it's The Crusaders which is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous, with Web a very close second for me.

Well as much as I like Web it's boring, as is Enlightenment. The Crusaders suffers from Hartnell, A, not looking like Hartnell, B, Hartnell appearing to have a lopsided face & C, appearing to be pondering his bum. Visitation suffers from Davison looking awful, almost as if he's a look-a-like. So that leaves the atmospheric Peladon despite the cuddly monster.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 21st Oct 2007 at 8:14 PM.

Not a bad round, but i went for Enlightenment; simple but effective.

Had to be Peladon for me, there's just so much going on! ;-)
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

The Crusaders is a little bit of a classic in my book. Pity about the 'Enlightenment' it seems such a great concept, but the image of ancient sailing ships racing through space could've been so much better.

The Crusaders is a complete bloody mess in my book! Let's plonk another Arab down over here.... and Hartnell's face looks like a cheap rubber mask!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I remember that Crusaders cover - I think it was about the third target. For me though the best cover is easily Peladon

No! Come on we can't lose my favourite Target cover yet! Vote for Web of Fear people!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    .... and Hartnell's face looks like a cheap rubber mask!
    He often wore them - he didn't want people finding out he was really Maureen Tattersall of Putney.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    and Hartnell's face looks like a cheap rubber mask!
    Maybe he went to Mike Saville's Tension.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I remember that Crusaders cover - I think it was about the third target. For me though the best cover is easily Peladon
    Same here. I didn't like it though. I thought the historicals were dull even back then, & technically this was my first one!
    I vaguely remember swapping it at school. Can't remember what i exchanged it for though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I vaguely remember swapping it at school. Can't remember what i exchanged it for though.
    You swapped it for a guitar and you've never looked back since.

Pip Madeley Guest

Must've been one of those home-made ones with elastic bands.

Wayne Guest

I probably swapped it for a Fiesta or Knave from my mate who's Dad had a newsagent.
    Last edited by Wayne; 25th Oct 2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: typo

Pip Madeley Guest

What's a Kave, Grandad?

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    What's a Kave, Grandad?
    It's the reason i edited my post, my boy.