Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Simply Red-dy to call it a day...

Simply Red are to split up in 2009, a quarter of a century after they formed, lead singer Mick Hucknall has revealed. The 47-year-old said Stay, released last March, would be the group's final studio album, and they would disband after their tour in two years' time.

"I've kind of decided that the 25 years is going to be enough," Hucknall told the Gold radio network. The star said he wanted to concentrate more on his solo career, having just completed an album of his own.

"I've just recorded an album that is a tribute to Bobby Bland, a blues and R&B artist," he explained. "It's a solo project and I've really enjoyed it - so much that I feel the time has come now to just put a book-end to the [Simply Red] story."

He said he wanted to "invent a new form of music", influenced by R&B tracks from the 1960s. "It's a big challenge but I can't do it under the name of Simply Red," Hucknall added.

Stay was the third album to be released under the group's own label, simplyred.com, and reached number four in the UK charts. One of the tracks on it, The World and You Tonight, was released as a single last month and will be Simply Red's final single, he added. The band's name was inspired by Hucknall's love of Manchester United, his left-leaning political affiliations and the colour of his hair.

They topped the album charts with releases including A New Flame, Stars and Life, selling more than 50 million copies worldwide. These spawned singles such as It's Only Love, Something Got Me Started and Fairground.
    Any fans?

They've never been the same since Fritz left.

Ludicrous! He's the only constant member anyway! So in what sense is him solo any different to him calling himself "Simply Red"?

I can only assume it's a vanity move, and someone for some reason wants to be known by his own name, rather than by a perceived group name.

It's also incredibly stupid, as groups are notoriously more popular than the solo projects they spawn, simply by virtue of the fact that they appear less 'have a go' and desperate. That's why a new Suede album would sell more than the Tears one did, why the new Verve tour will gross more than Richard Ashcrofts solo jaunts and why Paul Heaton's solo career bombed. Despite the fact that you could have sold the music involved with each under either name and no-one would have been able to tell the difference.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

It's also incredibly stupid, as groups are notoriously more popular than the solo projects they spawn, simply by virtue of the fact that they appear less 'have a go' and desperate. That's why a new Suede album would sell more than the Tears one did, why the new Verve tour will gross more than Richard Ashcrofts solo jaunts and why Paul Heaton's solo career bombed. Despite the fact that you could have sold the music involved with each under either name and no-one would have been able to tell the difference.
    But then again on the other side of the coin it's not always a recipe for disaster to leave a band for solo success - look at Genesis (Phil Collins), Destiny's Child (Beyonce Knowles), The Commodores (Lionel Richie), Cream (Eric Clapton), The Jacksons (Michael Jackson)...

I agree with your examples though.

Well we'll see if Hucknall is a Beyonce or a Richard Ashcroft... the point remains that unlike the examples you name, Hucknall is essentially Simply Red already... so why not just continue to use the name?

Si.

People will still hate his music no matter what name he records it under.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Simply Red are to split up in 2009, a quarter of a century after they formed, lead singer Mick Hucknall has revealed. The 47-year-old said Stay, released last March, would be the group's final studio album, and they would disband after their tour in two years' time.
    Hooray!

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

the point remains that unlike the examples you name, Hucknall is essentially Simply Red already... so why not just continue to use the name?
    Well he said that he wants to go into a new musical direction, and doesn't feel that he can use the Simply Red name as it's something new. And there's nothing wrong with that, a lot of musicians have left their band/changed their name to go into a different genre/direction, and it's a very good idea - if his new stuff is a disaster it won't reflect badly on the Simply Red name (which despite whether you like them or not has been successful).

WhiteCrow Guest

I wonder if money's still too tight to mention?

Pip Madeley Guest

I like "Stars" and "Holding Back The Years" (which was used to great effect on Only Fools And Horses).

I remember when they came back with the 'Fairground' single after Huckers had put on a whole bunch of weight and they were re-named 'Amply Fed'.

Sorry.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

I didn't like "Fairground" because it kept "Common People" from the number one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I didn't like "Fairground" because it kept "Common People" from the number one spot.
    Yeah, I remember it well. They were shit too, which didn't help. Odd that pre- about 1988 they were quite good in my opinion. I even had "Men and women" on tape, which I was quite happy to buy and listen to in 1987.

Wayne Guest

I thought they'd packed up years ago.

I always thought they were perfect music (sorry muzak) for the Test Card.

Pip Madeley Guest

Is that Carol Baynes and James Lindsay?

Wayne Guest

Was Robson & Jerome that kept Common People from number one. Fairground held off Mis-Shapes / Sorted For E's & Wizz!

I always thought Simply Red was just him anyway :s

Pip Madeley Guest

Was Robson & Jerome that kept Common People from number one. Fairground held off Mis-Shapes / Sorted For E's & Wizz!
    Even worse! Mis-Shapes is a forgotten classic! Pulp should've had two number ones that summer. Hucknall, you bastard!

I always remember Mick's PVC trousers from the "Fairground" period on TOTP. I do not recall them fondly.

I love the story about Martine McCutcheon throwing up in his hair.

I've just spat weak lemon drink all over my keyboard!

Pip Madeley Guest

Helena Christensen, Martine McCutcheon, Tracy Shaw, Kim Wilde, Naomi Campbell, Catherine Zeta-Jones & Kathy Lloyd have all been "Hucknalled" in the past.

He must have a silver tongue. LEAVE IT, MILKY

Kim Wilde must like 'em ginger as I'm fairly sure she's been porked by Chris Evans in the past too.

Haven't we all.

Pip Madeley Guest

I think you're right - I hope he didn't forget his toothbrush.

....I hope I'm not meant to be the clown. That'd just be scary and wrong!