Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I've heard Nathan's theory about Mel before. It's not impossible there may even have been a gigantic thread about it on the BBC boards... But I don't think I've ever actually read his story about it until now. Very clever, and in fact very neatly done. I have to be honest, I was picturing it as the 10th Doctor when reading it, but it works either way. Very nice indeed.

That's another little twist on what we accpet as the contiunity of the series, and as things stand, if you don't count the books then this could well be the true way things happened... It was nicely characterised and a glimpse at an alternative reality.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Thanks guys. I must admit to reading this thread between my fingers, as I did feel a bit of a cheat since I have trotted it out in the past.

Often wondered if the "mental illness" line was easily understood as the regeneration.

And yes, I can read it now as the Tenth Doctor too, now you mention it!

Make way for a naval officer!

Pip Madeley Guest

For those interested, the next Brief Encounter will debut tomorrow morning. It's another gem from Jon Masters, featuring the Eighth Doctor and a rather familiar old-new setting... we love it, we hope you will too!

Wow

I think this is my fourth favourite Brief Encounters ever. Quite why this author hasn't been snapped up by a major publisher and whisked from his current life of daily drudgery to the 'A list' fantasy world of Terrance Dicks is a question we'll probably never know the answer to.

An Anonymous fan.

except you can all see my name at the side there . I'll regret this post if I end up being the only one to follow the link ......
    Bazinga !

I liked this one (but then I liked all of Jon's pieces so I'm biased). There are just so many different aspects to it for such a short story it's great.

Pip Madeley Guest

I had to read it a couple of times to take it all in - and that's a good thing. It's a great idea for a short story and Jon evoked the atmosphere of the Inferno Club well.

Thanks for the kind word guys

I guess I'm still just a bit nervous of others reading my fevered scribblings - like what if everyone reads it but hates it, and doesn't want to say ?

I've had a few ideas from the meet for a few more - and I enjoy making time to make myself write them too.
    Bazinga !

I seem to have been away from PS most of the week so have only got to reading Jon's latest BE tonight. As a big EDA fan, I really enjoyed it, and I have to say, Jon, you've really caught that 'version' of the 8th Doctor - the fairly laid-back figure but with sudden unexpected flashes of violence and anger. And the twists at the end (the arrival of Jack, and then the last line) were very neatly dropped in. A v-e-r-y enjoyable little snapshot, really good.

This weeks one will be slightly delayed I'm afraid. Blame the Environmnet Agency!

Wow - it must be a bad story if they're getting involved. It's not mine is it?
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Did you ever submit one Lissa? If you did then I think I've lost it!

Pip Madeley Guest

It'll be online at 3pm

Just read Jon's story and I was quite impressed. The opening confused me a little, I thought the Inferno was some kind of gateway to a demon world or something, (but it turns out that was sort of right). It also makes sense that two near-immortal people living through the 20th Century would nearly bump into each other at some point. Good stuff.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It'll be online at 3pm
    Excellent. Thanks Pip.

for the Doctor , Rob & Nick - its a testement to both Si's writing and the audio performances that I can sort of hear Paul, Dave and Steve saying the lines. I particulalry liked the bitch fight which I think should be re-enacted for us at the next meet

There was only one problem - it is clear that in the future all copies of SOFD will have been snapped up for the gargantuan HarPi museum (where the Tate is now) or android Ian Levine's private collection, so the idea that one would turn up in any kind of charity shop is, frankly, insane.
    Bazinga !

Thanks Jon! Had no idea my story would be going up today until I saw my name on the front page!

Si.

I'm loving these Brief Encounters because, to coin a phrase, you never quite know what you're going to get. Si's was a delight, and lovingly written - and I just love those throwaway details of his. Just as the bit about the nostalgia-powered cooker in MHT had me laughing out loud, so with The Fun Doctor I absolutely roared at the Drahvin karaoke business. And, as Jon says, I could hear the PS regulars saying their respective lines, particularly Rob!!

Thanks Andrew! I'm glad you enjoyed it! When I read the first couple of Brief Encounters, I feared mine would be rather showed up by the weight of other peoples writing talent. There were these great intelligent short stories and I was thinking "God, perhaps I shouldn't have dashed mine out in my tea break!"

Si.

"And lots to stir I see!"

Great stuff Si! This made me chuckle last night, and I hope there are more adventures for this team to come. Hmmm, perhaps I ought to write them one. Perhaps I ought to write one full stop... I keep saying I will...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It felt natural to have Si's one appear now even though in the original running order it wasn't due to appear yet.
    It was light hearted and fun which was a great contrast to Jon's piece last week and it neatly ties in the announcment of the Christmas Gnomes.
    Next week will be the last one for a little while as the audios return.
    Don't worry if you've submitted one and its not appeared yet, there will be another run in the New Year.
    In the meantime get scribbling, cos I definitely need more. They brighten up my train journey no end!

I'd like to try another one as people have liked the current one.

Si.

Cool. I look forward to it!

Nice little story from Paul today - the twist, unusually, at the end being that the Doctor hadn't time travelled at all (which is the first impression)! Otherwise a nice simple tale, and that's definately a good thing. Well done Paul!

Si.
    Last edited by Rob McCow; 3rd Dec 2007 at 9:00 PM.

I edited Si's post because it had a great whacking spoiler in it!

Honest opinions follow below...

It was a pretty good story and when it focussed on Aidan's predicament, it was fantastic. The ending in paticular was quite moving and well written. But it took too long to get there. I think the Serataph didn't really fit into the story, it felt a bit like a random monster-of-the-week. I think it would have been better if it had been a bit more rooted in something that the reader could relate to or some historical event. By relate to, I mean that it might have been better if the Doctor had been the only fantastical element, outside of Aidan's problem. One more character might have helped bring it to life a bit more, someone else to care about Aidan and make him feel more rounded. Possibly

Still, it's a great central premise.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!