Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Brief Encounters - Feedback Thread

The PS Brief Encounters series started today and this is the thread to put your feedback in.

Pip Madeley Guest

And may I say how much I enjoyed Andrew's story! I'll give a proper review later, as it deserves more time than I can spare right now. But bravo!

I really enjoyed it. Of course, using the best TARDIS team to open the series with was an inspired idea, and I loved the way that they went and did something seemingly inconsequential just to help one couple's lives grow together. Lovely!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I wondered if there was an autobiographical element there.
    I loved it and although it was longer than BE's are meant be, I thought it was a good starter.

to Mr Curnow - of course it was longer, as it was originally a BF entry, but I thought it slotted in to Season 17 perfectly(presumably another randomiser-bypass trip). I particularly liked the way K9 was introduced, but more importantly I could hear Tom & Lalla saying their lines - always a good sign for me of characterisation.

A very high standard to follow ....
    Bazinga !

Doctor Who meets DIY SOS.

That was an excellent little story & I think a little bit of "I wish I had someone to do that for me" in there as well.

I wonder if she was named Freda?

I enjoyed Andrew's story a lot, a really lovely little idea. The lead character seems quite passive and accepting of it all, but I suppose if there'd been an argument it'd only have dragged the story out without good reason.

There's a similar premise to it in the recent BF audio '100', but Andrew's take is sufficiently different to make it worthwhile

The banter between the Doctor and Romana is spot on, plus there's a good use for K-9. Isn't that the sort of thing we'd all get him doing?

An enjoyable little read.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I enjoyed it too, I liked Romana's characterisation particuarly and the way the Doctor has time to breeze in and fix some shelves. Also rigging up a 'time' thingummy to ensure the work gets done in literally no time at all was neat!

Si.

Glad you enjoyed it, guys.

We'll have you snapped up to pen an audio if you're not careful Andrew!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

As promised, a few more words. I loved the humour you put into the story - it all rang true with the tone of the season, and the line about God and uPVC had me smiling. I also loved the bit where the Doctor and Romana huddle together and discuss the situation, "It's naughty"... "I won't tell if you don't" On the other side, the 'kitchen sink drama' was well-written, especially the ending which was very touching, almost an amalgamation of the classic series and the new. :Well done Andrew, I hope you write another!

Was it slightly autobiographical though? I need to know.

If you mean in the sense of the notion of a man loathing DIY, then yes. If you mean in the sense of Tom Baker having any involvement in our sex lives, then no. Nor Lalla Ward either, sadly...

Just read Jon's story, and thought I must just post a quick comment or two before going off to work.

I really enjoyed it (I could certainly get used to having a new Who-y snippet to liven up the grey Monday mornings), both in content and style. Jon's writing style is very easy to read, it seems to flow very naturally and isn't laboured or anything.

As for the story, the 'twist' in the tale was very neat, giving the story the necessary 'hook', and tieing (sp?) together two entirely separate elements of Who in a way that delighted my inner fanboy.

And, I did notice the RBS dialogue, so I'm pleased to see Jon so gleefully admit it in his notes!!

If you mean in the sense of the notion of a man loathing DIY, then yes
    I also wondered if you had a list of DIY jobs that need doing , that you get nagged about by the wife
    Glad you enjoyed Jon's first Brief Encounter.

That was a good story Jon, and makes me long to watch Terror of the Zygons on DVD.

Is that the format of the brief encounters, to be a single scene? Or just a short piece?

Here's the format from the Brief Encounters page

"Brief Encounters are short pieces of fiction, about 500 words long, set at any point in the whole Dr Who universe
    (including TV, books, audios... it's really up to you). We dont want any actual full adventures though,
    the key word is Encounter. You might like to write a short piece expanding on the thoughts and feelings of a
    character from a past story, perhaps set before or after meeting the Doctor, or perhaps you might want to write
    a dialogue between two or more characters from the past (connected or completely unconnected). "

Andrew's story was longer because it wasn't conceived as a Brief Encounter. It still fits the idea of what a Brief Encounter should be about though and so was included.

Thanks for your kind words, Andrew & Tim.

And, I did notice the RBS dialogue, so I'm pleased to see Jon so gleefully admit it in his notes!!
    One of the reasons I think Broton makes such a great villain, as well as a sterling double performance by the much missed John Woodnutt, is that he gets some cracking lines !
    Bazinga !

That was neat way to tie together two Baker era loose ends. Well done Jon. The prose flowed really well and it was a good read.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

My only complaint is that Jon's pieces are over too quickly. He needs to write a novel.

That was a neat little story - due to it's small size, I'm tempted to call it 'Cute' but I don't think that's quite appropriate. Good Zygon characterisation and descriptions too
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Apologies, I won't have the chance to update the Brief Encounters index till this evening, but the new short story Guilty Secrets, by Nathan Cooke, is now available to read HERE! Please enjoy!

And on another note, I realised I hadn't commented on Jon's wonderful piece last week - having watched 'Terror of the Zygons' last week, it seemed very true.

Interesting story that one, Nathan. Very different to what I was thinking it would be because it's outside the realm of what we know with regards to the Doctor Who Universe. Very good.

Excellent tale with just the sort of conspiracy theory I like in DW - more please !
    Bazinga !

Pip Madeley Guest

Agreed, it was a great idea & well executed - I loved the twist at the end, his last line was perfect