Default Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Having noticed one or two Garth comments elsewhere, I recently bought the DVD and nearly wet myself laughing. It just smacks of all the dodgy 80's TV I used to love.

Dean Learner should play The Master! 'Good Gravy, these thunderbolts are everywhere!'

Everything about Darkplace is perfectly bad, the sets are wobbly, the acting is appalling, the effects make Dobbin in Warriors of the Deep look like a work of genius, the dialogue is cringeworthy and the music grates liking nothing in the history of everything. And all this is intentional? True genius!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Pip Madeley Guest

You'll find a few Darkplace fans here!

Darkplace is a masterpiece of modern comedy, such a shame so many people have never heard of it! I love the way that they play it 'seriously' - staying in character during the interviews & even down to the DVD packaging which makes no mention of the real actors. It's the tiny things too. The poor jump cuts, the out of sync audio, Dean looking at the camera, mis-matching shots, the slow motion (designed to pad out the episodes ), the cheesy but excellent music, amateurish effects & props, the awful script & self-important lines Marenghi gives himself...

... but most of all, 'actor' Todd Rivers' voice. The "you and he were buddies" speech is possibly the best thing ever televised.

(not forgetting One Track Lover, I actually love that song )

I have already had to introduce a few of my friends to the series. The bike chase scene has them rolling in the aisles!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lord President View Post
    I have already had to introduce a few of my friends to the series. The bike chase scene has them rolling in the aisles!
    I tried to introduce some friends to it, but they didn't get it!

My best mate John, he loves it though. We always quote bits to each other, such as:

"You're the most sensitive man I know, and I know God."

"If you need me I'll be right here in the vestry, if not I'll be out in the jeep."

and

"The broccoli had gone. But the hurt remained."

I really liked it, still havent bought the DVD due to lack of funds, but I'm really looking forward to watching them again