Thread: Polanski

Default Polanski

As another ongoing thread I'd like to start up this one for films directed by Roman Polanski. Some of the films I'd like to check out are:

Repulsion
    Cul-de-sac
    The Fearless Vampire Killers
    Rosemary's Baby
    Macbeth
    Chinatown
    The Tenant
    Frantic
    Bitter Moon
    Ninth Gate

Ninth Gate was reviewed recently on "Don't Watch Alone" but I'll still add some comments later to this thread. I think if nothing else he makes many unusual and memorable films. I might add more to the list later. Apart from Ninth Gate the ones I have seen are Rosemary's Baby, Chinatown and Macbeth but it's been years since I've seen them so I'd like to check them out again. Polanski's life has certainly been a controversial one but I don't think his reputation as a top director is affected by any of that.
    Last edited by Ralph; 7th Nov 2007 at 10:41 AM.

Wayne Guest

Ninth Gate & Rosemary's Baby are the only ones i've seen. Both good films. Especially Ninth Gate.

Polanski's an odd one for me, there are films of his that I really admire (Chinatown especially), ones which I think are quite good (Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion, Cul-de-sac) and then there's the oh jesus this is all a bit embarrassing stuff (Bitter Moon gets really silly at points especially).

I think he's an interesting director for sure, but as one of the supposed greats, he does have a surprisingly frequent rate of turning out really quite bad films as well as good ones.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I have to agree with Alex. He has made a lot of clunkers. Although I quite like Bitter Moon

From IMDB these are the ratings where he's the Director - I think it's a helpful guide as to what to avoid (maybe!). Most of the ones I'm checking out should miss out any weird ones.

1 (8.50) - The Pianist (2002)
    2 (8.50) - Chinatown (1974)
    3 (8.00) - Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    4 (7.99) - Repulsion (1965)
    5 (7.69) - Locataire, Le (1976) (The Tennant)
    6 (7.59) - Nóz w wodzie (1962)
    7 (7.49) - The Tragedy of Macbeth (1971)
    8 (7.29) - Cul-de-sac (1966)
    9 (7.24) - Gdy spadaja anioly (1959)
    10 (7.10) - Tess (1979)
    11 (7.10) - Death and the Maiden (1994)
    12 (7.10) - Dance of the Vampires (1967)
    13 (7.09) - Dwaj ludzie z szafa (1958)
    14 (7.00) - Oliver Twist (2005)
    15 (6.74) - Gros et le maigre, Le (1961)
    16 (6.74) - Lampa (1959)
    17 (6.70) - Bitter Moon (1992)
    18 (6.60) - Frantic (1988)
    19 (6.56) - Plus belles escroqueries du monde, Les (1964)
    20 (6.50) - The Ninth Gate (1999)
    21 (6.38) - Chacun son cinéma ou Ce petit coup au coeur quand lalumière s'éteint et que le film commence (2007)
    22 (6.35) - Ssaki (1963)
    23 (6.25) - Usmiech zebiczny (1957)
    24 (6.16) - Morderstwo (1957)
    25 (6.01) - Rozbijemy zabawe... (1957)
    26 (5.88) - What? (1972)
    27 (5.83) - Pirates (1986)

If I've chosen a "clunker" we'll soon see!
    Last edited by Ralph; 7th Nov 2007 at 1:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I have to agree with Alex. He has made a lot of clunkers. Although I quite like Bitter Moon
    I was reading some of the reviews about Bitter Moon I'm really curious on a number of counts.

Eyes Wide Shut, Kubrick's last film is another one possibly misunderstood by some because of the nudity but I think it was very effective in making the viewer feel uneasy. It was one of those films where when it got to the middle I was totally hooked into the emotional turmoil and needed to know what was going to happen next. Some don't seem to see beyond the nudity - I'm not sure if thats good or bad, I suppose if you enjoy the film thats all that matters.

He certainly directed 'The Pianist' and won an Oscar for it (famously not being allowed into the US to pick up his statue in person), so, perhaps for that reason alone, it should be worth viewing. I've not seen it myself, but it's meant to be very good. I'm heard good things about 'Frantic' and his version of 'Oliver Twist', too.

I don't know many of his films, although I'd be interested in chcking some of them out. I have seen 'Repulsion' and 'The Fearless Vampire Killers', though, and thought they were both wonderfully offbeat.

Great to see various comments here. I think if nothing else Polanski's movies stimulate reaction - meantime I'm still waiting for DVDs to arrive in the post before I can get the first one on this thread underway

The Pianist is a wonderful film. Incredibly moving.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The Tenant (1976)

Plot: "A quiet and inconspicuous man (Trelkovsky) rents an apartment in France where the previous tenant committed suicide, and begins to suspect his landlord and neighbors are trying to subtly change him into the last tenant so that he too will kill himself."

I wasn't really sure what to make of this one but I felt it was an interesting start to my Polanski "season". Sometimes I think if a movie at least makes an impression then thats a positive - I suspect this is a film that on first viewing is so weird you'd simply be puzzled to decide on it. One thing for sure is it needs a bit of patience as it's a slow movie but I didn't really mind that as I think thats part of the point of the movie. It's definitely a more creative film and so I could understand how some may hate it. There's a few familiar american actors amongst what is otherwise dubbed foreign actors. Polanski plays the part of the Tenant. I think I'd have to watch this a second time to definitely decide on my ultimate conclusion. Certainly no regrets giving it a try as I don't mind the odd "off the wall" movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    The Pianist is a wonderful film. Incredibly moving.

Si xx
    I've added the Pianist to the viewing list

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The Tenant (1976)
    I wasn't really sure what to make of this one but I felt it was an interesting start to my Polanski "season". Sometimes I think if a movie at least makes an impression then thats a positive - I suspect this is a film that on first viewing is so weird you'd simply be puzzled to decide on it. One thing for sure is it needs a bit of patience as it's a slow movie but I didn't really mind that as I think thats part of the point of the movie. It's definitely a more creative film and so I could understand how some may hate it. There's a few familiar american actors amongst what is otherwise dubbed foreign actors. Polanski plays the part of the Tenant. I think I'd have to watch this a second time to definitely decide on my ultimate conclusion. Certainly no regrets giving it a try as I don't mind the odd "off the wall" movie.
    Well that was different......
    I take your points onboard Ralph, with regard to this movie, but i ultimately i have to say that i struggled with it. I wasn't totally uninteresting, but the first hour or so was so slow going that i found it hard to keep my mind on it. It did get more interesting towards the end, but whilst do think it's a fairly unique take on paranoia & insanity, i couldn't shake the feeling that it was the sort of film that Bill the intellectual snob from LM would like.
    I think perhaps it's the sort of film that you need to be in the mood for, but it also strikes me that there's not as much to the film to merit it's 2hr length, & rather curiously it had the feel of a film that was made several years earlier than 1976.
    A curiosity, with some interesting tangents, but IMO unfortunately slow to the point iof being dull, although i did like the ending. Very hard to rate, but as it's film i think i'd struggle to find time for again in my life, i can't say fairer than 5/10.

Yes I think it would probably appeal to Bill

I totally agree that it doesn't feel like 1976, more 1966! I agree pretty much with what you've said - I think it's difficult to rate - probably 5 is pretty fair. It's not really my kind of movie either!

Wayne Guest

Just been watching 'Repulsion'. (Yum - Catherine Deneuve!)

Polanski likes to make films about nutcases doesn't he?
    Last edited by Wayne; 28th Nov 2007 at 11:36 PM.

The Pianist (2002)

"The true story of Wladyslaw Szpilman who, in the 1930s, was known as the most accomplished piano player in all of Poland, if not Europe. At the outbreak of the Second World War, however, Szpilman becomes subject to the anti-Jewish laws imposed by the conquering Germans. By the start of the 1940s, Szpilman has seen his world go from piano concert halls to the Jewish Ghetto of Warsaw and then must suffer the tragedy of his family deported to a German concentration camps, while Szpilman is conscripted into a forced German Labour Compound. At last deciding to escape, Szpilman goes into hiding as a Jewish refugee where he is witness to the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising (April 19, 1943 - May 16, 1943) and the Warsaw Uprising (1 August to 2 October 1944) "

Adrien Brody an actor I'm not really familiar with plays the leading role to great effect in what I can only describe as a touching story of human survival. Great support from actors such as Frank Finlay and Maureen Lipman. John Bennett also puts in an appearance.

It recreates the events of the times with great effect and always when I watch such careful accounts recreated it never fails to astonish me how human beings could have been so cruel and callous to their fellow man. This kind of movie always stops me in it's tracks and helps put life in perspective. While these can be sad movies to watch I think it strenghthens the human spirit and made me feel very lucky to live in our current times and enjoy everything we take so much for granted

I have to give Roman Polanski full marks here for making a movie which I found a compelling watch and one that demonstrates that there was good and bad on all sides. Clearly he was able to add a lot from his personal experiences - the featurette on the DVD provides a nice backdrop to the thoughts of those involved.

I'd give this 9/10 Definitely one not to be missed.

Wayne Guest

Sounds really good, Ralph. I think i'll do that next. (Although that may not be until Sunday, as i'm busy next few nights)

On Repulsion as you're a Bardot fan I did reckon Deneuve would appeal!

And yes Polanski does seem to go in for the nutters as you say - such a terrible waste of a young girl

Yes I think you'll find the Pianist a good one and it's certainly more conventional that the last two Polanski's you've watched

Actually I've just realised I haven't given my thoughts on Repulsion yet so I will do that in the next few days.

Wayne Guest

I thought 'Repulsion' was reasonably good actually, but coming hot on the heels of 'The Tenant', it just felt too similiar. I think if i'd watched 'Repulsion' first i probably would've appreciated it a bit more.
    Good performances though, (Deneuve herself did well) & i found it much more atmospheric than 'The Tenant', partly due to being in black & white, & also helped by a nice soundtrack.
    But again, i can't overlook the fact that i found it very slow paced, & got a bit bored with it, even though i acknowledge it's a good film.
    I think personal taste comes into play here, because Hammer did several black & white psychological thrillers on similar themes during the 60's, & whilst they're also good films in that style, i'm not overfussed. I think a lot of these kind of tales can be told well in 25mins like they did on the original Twilight Zone'.
    I'd give 'Repulsion' 6/10 based on overall entertainment factor. It probably derserves a bit more, but it didn't excite me that much so that's that.
    Last edited by Wayne; 29th Nov 2007 at 1:02 AM.

Hmmm.. I wonder how much of that 6 was for Catherine

Wayne Guest

What acting wise, or eye candy wise?

Repulsion (1965)

It feels very 60s not surprisingly although being in black and white I would have thought was more in the minority at this stage when just about every film would have switched to colour about 3 years before. On the strength of this movie and Catherine Deneuve's fabulous good looks I've ordered a copy of mid 70s movie "Hustle" which I is the first movie I saw her in and one of Burt Reynold's best movies alongside "Deliverance" before he became a total parody of himself.

This movie is very much similar to The Tenant which followed a decade later although does feel of the same era. I think I prefered this one though the Catherine factor sways it! I would agree it is a slower paced movie and I think you're right Wayne, probaly the T Zone format was the place for it. It would appear that Polanski moves between totally offbeat and mainstream. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing - I admire the fact that he's trying to do something different - I think he continues to be a greater creative force in a movie industry which seems spent on ideas.

I'll give this one 6/10 for launching the lovely Catherine on her way to stardom

I think Wayne would give Catherine '1'.

I saw 'Repulsion' years ago, and I remember I really liked it, but then I've always been quite keen on those rather offbeat British films of the swinging sixties. I think it was controversial at the time for the scene in which an orgasm is clearly heard.

Oh, and Catherine Deneuve is absolutely gorgeous in it.

Wayne Guest

The Pianist (2002)

Adrien Brody an actor I'm not really familiar with plays the leading role to great effect in what I can only describe as a touching story of human survival. Great support from actors such as Frank Finlay and Maureen Lipman. John Bennett also puts in an appearance.

It recreates the events of the times with great effect and always when I watch such careful accounts recreated it never fails to astonish me how human beings could have been so cruel and callous to their fellow man. This kind of movie always stops me in it's tracks and helps put life in perspective. While these can be sad movies to watch I think it strenghthens the human spirit and made me feel very lucky to live in our current times and enjoy everything we take so much for granted

I have to give Roman Polanski full marks here for making a movie which I found a compelling watch and one that demonstrates that there was good and bad on all sides. Clearly he was able to add a lot from his personal experiences - the featurette on the DVD provides a nice backdrop to the thoughts of those involved.

I'd give this 9/10 Definitely one not to be missed.
    I watched this one earlier today, & i completely agree with all your comments, Ralph.
    One of the finest, most poignant movies i've ever seen. As important a film as 'Schlindler's List', & just as powerful.
    It's difficult to imagine any other Polanksi film topping this one on this thread, even though 'Rosemary's Baby' is a personal favourite, this is the the sort of film that has a huge impact & makes us wonder about humanity & what it's capable of. You're right, Ralph - It's not to be missed. 9/10.

Pleased you felt the same as me about this one Wayne and I'd agree I think it will inevitably be the strongest film on the thread because of the subject matter and the way it has been so carefully handled.