Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Selling my Doctor Who videos

Well, should I?

For a long time, I've been adamant that I would never sell my 'Doctor Who' tapes, despite collecting the stories on shiny disc. I've always considered them as being a big part of my life, more than fifteen years, in fact, for that's how long it took me to collect them all (and yes, I have everything, in one form or another). Many have a special significance, or evoke certain memories, of the places I bought particular videos, or the circumstances in which I may have watched them for the first time. It's a collection I am proud of.

But... lately I've begun to question whether I can really justify keeping something just for sentimentality's sake, something which takes up quite a bit of space (space which I can use for other things, not least of which are my 'Doctor Who' DVDs!), and which I'm probably not going to watch many more times (if ever), especially when I will eventually own all those same videos on DVD. I've always been a bit of a hoarder, but over the past couple of years, my attitude has changed somewhat, and I'm less inclined to hang on to something just for sentimental reasons, especially if I don't really need it.

So, I've recently begun to think that perhaps I should part with my old VHS tapes. I know many of you have already done this, or are in the process of doing this, and, to be honest, this thought always used to horrify me. But now I can understand your reasons for doing it. Apart from anything else, I can also make a bit of money (not much, I know), which may sound a bit mercenary, but then, there's nothing wrong with earning a bit of extra cash, especially when I'm often struggling for money!

Anyway, I suppose I've pretty much made up my mind on what I'm going to do, but I'd be grateful for any thoughts or advice on this matter before I consider embarking on the big job of consigning the fruits of fifteen years to the great eBay auction in the sky!

I completely understand where you're coming from Dave. I too have spent many years collecting my collection & I personally couldn't part with them. I have bought a video, audio or DVD every year since 1989 & it looks like I'm going to continue for another 10 years+.
    I see my VHS collection as a library of how Doctor Who evolved, not only format (edits, picture quality etc) but how the release was treated.

I also can see how space is a priority & extra cash is a big motivation if its tight & that in your position I would probably do the same. Si & Simon seem to have a policy of selling their VHS' as soon as they know the DVD is due soon.

So in short, by all means sell them in dribs & drabs but don't feel you are loosing your past, try & remember how your saw the story on VHS when you get the DVD, may be write a few notes for each story & leave it in the DVD slip case for future reference.

It's a shame to see them go, but... split them up into groups of 3 or 4 and bundle the rare ones up with the more common ones when you sell them on Ebay.

Highlight any signed copies or rarities with a photograph too.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I know what you mean, Dave, but I think you're best being practical. Especially if you're going to replace the videos with DVDs, then they really would just be cluttering up the place, taking up space.

Having said that, although I've sold many a-video on eBay (I have to say, I think I timed it just right, about 4-5 years ago when certain stories were really getting very good prices) there are a few I could never bring myself to sell. The Leisure Hive is one, because Zel bought it me for a wedding present; and the other is the original 2-tape release of The Daleks, which my parents bought me when I was 18 (which is now 18 years ago)!

The Leisure Hive is one, because Zel bought it me for a wedding present
    That truly is real love.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I sold nearly all mine earlier this year after my video recorder died and I decided not to buy another one. There were a few other factors in play- at the time it was about six months after I'd finished watching all of broadcast Who in chronological order which had taken me about four years, and I started by selling tapes off as I watched them, in the realisation that it might be another three or four years before I watched them again, by which time many of them would be on DVD anyway. Those stories that were out on DVD at the time I gave to my cousin for her kids to watch, and I'll probably always keep my 1985-vintage £50 'Pyramids of Mars'. The ones which have most resonance for me, however, are my off-airs, not least for the Trial season, which have a surprising amount of context on them.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    try & remember how your saw the story on VHS when you get the DVD, may be write a few notes for each story & leave it in the DVD slip case for future reference.
    Bloody hell, Tim! Do you say goodnight to yours when you go bed & give them all a mince pie each at christmas!

I've got them all transferred to dvdr, & the actual vids are long gone on eBay. The sleeves that i made for the dvd cases are the old video covers, so in many ways i feel i've still got all mine.
    You can have the best of both worlds you know!
    Last edited by Wayne; 9th Nov 2007 at 1:45 AM.

Mine are all sealed in my special Doctor Who Video Room.

Pip Madeley Guest

Do you mean the cupboard under the stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Bloody hell, Tim! Do you say goodnight to yours when you go bed & give them all a mince pie each at christmas!
    Well, Dave wants to keep the nostalgia of his vid's whilst changing them for DVD. I'm just trying to help.
    I find it difficult to remember the last time I saw a story and probably should keep notes like others do. It has been literally years (probably a decade) since I've seen some of them & I really should make the time to see them again.

Pip Madeley Guest

Balls to nostalgia, I like brand new R2-style DVD covers to match up with the new releases

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

Oh...don't you cuddle your Pertwee DVDs before you got to sleep at night?

As for Dave's decision - it's the right one - you'll feel much better making space

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Balls to nostalgia, I like brand new R2-style DVD covers to match up with the new releases
    You're not old enough to know nostalgia for anything other than what you had when you were 10!

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Agreed - tapes are bulky, snag in your machine, picture quality is abysmal, the covers are mismatched, not even a roundal to speak off! ... I'm not getting too nostalgic about the DVD format because they'll be on a new technology in 10 years!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    You're not old enough to know nostalgia for anything other than what you had when you were 10!
    Ageist

Wayne Guest

In another 10yrs everyone's VCR's will be knackered by then, & there won't be any new ones around to replace them. If Dave wants to keep the nostalgia, i'd get 'em all transferred to disc. Owning the actual videos will soon be utterly pointless.

In another 10yrs everyone's DVDs will be knackered, when civilisation collapses during the solar flares/ zombie virus outbreak and no-one knows how to make a laser. Magnets will be easy though, so as civilisation struggles back to its feet and rediscovers magnetic data retrieval systems owning the actual videos will make you a king among men.
    Bazinga !

Thats sounds like a 70's sci-fi movie. Starring Sean Connery. In a nappy.

Wayne Guest

@Jon!

Btw... No offence, Tim. You know i'm a mickey taking bastard!

These pints will be real ones a week tomorrow.

Yeah I know, but it's difficult to be sensible when someone gets to close to a truth I'm trying to keep quiet.

I like my videos.

And popcorn.

Spookily in Coventry's Music & Video Oxfam they were commanding £14.99 for Genesis Of The Daleks/Sontaran Experiment and £13 for Auton amongst others on DVD!

The music and video Oxfams are right rip off merchants! They charge £1.99 for old CD singles which are 50p in every other charity shop!

Are they up on Ebay yet Dave?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments - it really is a difficult decision, isn't it? I had already made up my mind, really, but I'm grateful for the advice.

And yes, Steve, I've made a start, and the first few videos are up on eBay:

Viddy well!

I've got a rough pattern as to how I'm going to list them, but it's pretty random. but as you suggested, I'm going to sell rarer ones with more common ones, and try to put a box set in with most batches. There are a few I couldn't bring myself to sell, including those which are signed, and I'm still not sure if I want to get rid of my very first one (The Seeds Of Death) or not. But most of them will be going on eBay.

Anyway, keep your eyes on them - there'll be more going up tomorrow, and next week, and in the weeks and months to come.

A few more videos have been listed, including some Pertwees (some of which have already got bids) and some Tom, although these don't seem to have appeared yet:

Clever Lupton!