Thread: Movie Quotes

Default Movie Quotes

Arnold Schwarzenegger's famous "I'll be back" line from Terminator has been fingered as the movie quote people use most in everyday chat.

A poll of 2,000 film buffs by the UK Film Council's myfilms.com also revealed that people were wont to utter "Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn" in the style of Rhett Butler from Gone With The Wind, and, of course, "Beam me up, Scotty".

Those two classics took second and third spots, respectively, followed by "May the force be with you" and "Life is like a box of chocolates".

A quick check down here at Vulture Central revealed a completely difference set of preferences. Way out in front was "I demand to have some booze!" from Withnail and I, followed by "You talkin' to me?" (Taxi Driver), "No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die" (Goldfinger), "We don't need to show you no steeenkin' badges"* (Treasure of the Sierra Madre) and "Get three coffins ready" (A Fistful of Dollars).

And if those don't wet your whistle, the UK's Odeon cinemas in 2003 complied its own list of the top ten movie quotes of all time, which pretty well confirms that when it comes to catchy one-liners, Arnie and Clark Gable are indeed in a class of their own.

• "I'll be back." - Terminator
    • "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" - Gone With the Wind
    • "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." (Goddamn right.) - The Shawshank Redemption
    • "Hasta la vista, baby." Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    • "But you don't understand, Osgood. Uh, I'm a man." "Well, nobody's perfect!" - Some Like It Hot
    • "Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • "Goodbye, Mr. Bond." - Goldfinger
    • "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die." - Blade Runner
    • "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" - White Heat
    • "Fuh-get about it!" - Donnie Brasco
    What movie quotes do you use in everyday conversation? Do you use or have you even heard of any of the above?

The 2001 quote is completely wrong, I thought the one everyone knew was 'I can't let you do that, Dave'. The Blade Runner one is far too long for anyone to remember. What about the Die Hard - 'Yipee kai yay mother f***er'?

The Star Trek movies are a good source of quotes, such as *getting up out of chair* 'Target that explosion and FIRE!' and that Dickens novel that starts 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Mr.Spock?' There's also Aliens with 'They mostly come at night... mostly', which is a favourite.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Aliens quote: "Get away from her you BITCH!"

Poltergeist: "They're here"

Anthony Hopkins (Hannibal): I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry): "Go ahead punk, make my day".

WhiteCrow Guest

One favourite line in our family cos we're all geeks is

"I'll have it all figured out by the time we reach the frontier"

Which comes from the Last Starfighter.

A favourite of mine at the moment is from Ratatouille,

"I hate to be rude, but we're French!"

Another fave is "Trust me, I know what I'm doing". From a TV series no-one remembers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    The Blade Runner one is far too long for anyone to remember.
    I went to see the new 'Final Cut' at the cinema last night, and was thinking about starting a new "Quotes" thread, strange!

It wasn't that one though......can't remember which one made me think about it. Maybe it was "Too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?" ?

Or....

"Is that designed to test if I'm a lesbian, or if I'm a replicant?"
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

can't say I use any movie quotes in every day conversation but one of my favorite movie quotes of all comes from The Italian Job . when Michael Caine, utters that imortal line

"Your only suppoosed to blow the bloody doors off" absoloute beauty that still makes me laugh.

Pip Madeley Guest

Some classics from Blazing Saddles:

"If you shoot him, you'll just make him mad."

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

"God darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore."

"Head them off at the pass? I hate that cliché."

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Another fave is "Trust me, I know what I'm doing". From a TV series no-one remembers.
    I remember Sledgehammer (though I did need google's assistance in remembering what show the catchprase came from).

For me, Better Off Dead has loads of my favourite quotes in it, with "He's Skiing on one Ski!" and "I want my 2 dollars" always guaranteed to make me smile.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

WhiteCrow Guest

"I have come her to kick ass and chew bubble gum ... and I'm all out of bubble gum!"

"I have a bad feeling about this."

"You've just taken your first step into a larger Universe."