Default Glasgow to host 2014 Commonwealth Games

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7085422.stm

and BBC1 Scotland missed the live announcement.

Pip Madeley Guest

It seems ages ago since Manchester hosted the Games...

I don't see any dancing in the streets from my vantage point

2014 is a long way off thankfully - scary the idea of another 7 years older

I think the celebrations were mostly a few thousand council workers/students/schoolchildren in the Kelvin Hall and Fruitmarket (with Deacon Blue), with about a dozen taxi drivers beeping their horns around George Square.

I expect they'll be planning a massive party in George Square/Glasgow Green soon.

The hosts get to add a demonstration sport, don't they? Glasgow could add Buckie Swallying, Ned-Ball and Jakey-Bashing! It's a winner!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Surely this is the first time Scotland has beaten a third world country in something for ages?

The organisation I work for is one of the sponsors of the Scottish team so it's been hyped (up to a point- we also have Wear Your Scotland Shirt To Work Day next week, which is going to have me running around Leeds trying to find somewhere to sell me an Italy top) to us. Apparently Rab C Nesbitt is going to be the mascot, and in true Glaswegian style many of the locals were enjoying a celebratory tipple. Several hours before the announcement.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    The hosts get to add a demonstration sport, don't they? Glasgow could add Buckie Swallying, Ned-Ball and Jakey-Bashing! It's a winner!
    They should have one where athletes have to carry old ladies shopping messages home for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Surely this is the first time Scotland has beaten a third world country in something for ages?

Probably since the last time they played/defeated this lot in their own dilapidated, rundown backyard! It did look like a third world stadium at the time.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Just switched Sky over to Reporting Scotland out of curiosity- nice to see Alex Salmond enjoying his freebie to Sri Lanka- although the clips from the Glasgow promotional vido were interesting. Not entirely sure what sport they're proposing to hold at Calanais!

well Hampdon Park, will be used for the athletics, and the one godd thing in it's favour is not a lot of work will need to be done on the stadium as it already has a dirt track around the pitch big enougth to take a full 8 lane track.

Captain Tancredi Guest

When I was in Edinburgh on Saturday I called in at the Sporting Scotland section of the Museum of Scotland. The Scottish Sporting Hall of Fame is organised in alphabetical order, which leads to the interesting situation where Billy Bremner and Matt Busby are next to each other. They probably fight when the museum's shut.

Funny thing about Scotland and the Scots, though- when I'm at work and dealing with our Scottish managers on a daily basis I'm practically booking my ticket for Carlisle to go on a one-man ethnic cleansing mission, but when I'm up there I want to live there. A fair amount of this has to do with a place called Wannaburger halfway down the Royal Mile.