Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Embarrassing Moments Because You Love Who So...

Come on! We've all been there where we decided to dress up like one of the Doctors, or make our own spoof (in which the joke ended up on us), or have the obligatory picture taken with the sonic screwdriver or by something blue resembling the TARDIS!

So, what's your embarrassing Who moment? (*Disclaimer, if you're Gareth Jenkins, you need not reply*)

WhiteCrow Guest

I used to wear my scout uniform around the house with my beret because it made me look like a member of UNIT - I also had the little Doctor Who magazine UNIT code book and membership card you could write off for.

Just to add to the social leprosy, I had a "POLICE PUBLIC CALL BOX" sign on my door, and a kind of make-shift TARDIS console in my bedroom.

But what I think must be really tragic is remembering I got my first proper snog after a Colin Baker Trial of a Timelord episode - why he's one of my favourite Doctors.

But what I think must be really tragic is remembering I got my first proper snog after a Colin Baker Trial of a Timelord episode - why he's one of my favourite Doctors.
    I'm trying to imagine the situation...lol

I don't think I've done anything embarrassing Doctor Who wise...unless you count my audio "acting" in which case there's plenty of evidence.

I've just taken a picture with the sonic screwdriver and it didn't come out so bad...except for the fact I'm in someone's house lol. You can only pull off a picture like that if you're in a science museum with steel architecture, otherwise you look a twot really. "Oh look! I'm directing the sonic screwdriver at the camera and looking all cool with my hat! Just ignore the pile of socks at the left."

Wayne Guest

Is this embarrassing enough?

"Point at the camera as if you've seen a monster & look scared", i said to my sister. So she pointed & smiled.
    (Says Wayne in a futile attempt to distract everyone from his piss poor "only hat/scarf/'cloak'? i could find" Baker/Pertwee hybrid 'sort of costume', & pen (probably) for a sonic screwdriver.

Awww! That's adorable!
    Last edited by FlyingBeastie; 13th Nov 2007 at 1:23 AM. Reason: Photobucket went weird! Sorry :-c

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBeastie View Post
    Awww! That's adorable!
    Thanks! But i think yours is much better!
    Although it has the added advantage of not being a poor quality photo from 1975.

Thanks, but yours is very sweet. I wish I had the show growing up. Unfortunately, I'm part of the generation that didn't have a Doctor. The closest I had was McGann, and I vaguely remember to ever have watched the movie.

All I had growing up was Xena, but we had very cold Halloweens (back then...10ys ago! lol) so I had to opt for more weather convenient costumes. I remember for the 4th grade I dressed up as Buffy. Basically a blonde wig, with a black outfit and cross.

We little sisters are like that though. I have a picture where my brother dressed up as Michael Myers, and I was a clown. I was about three and my brother was ten, and in the picture he's strangling me and looking all menacing-meanwhile I'm throwing up the peace sign and drinking my bottle of milk with the most apathetic look on my gob lol
    Last edited by FlyingBeastie; 13th Nov 2007 at 12:07 AM.

Wayne Guest

Funny really, because on the other side of the coin, i never saw any Buffy until a year or two because i didn't think i'd like it. But i was persuaded to give it a try, & got totally addicted to it. I've never watched Xena, but my sister likes it.
    I suppose it's easy to take for granted having grown up with Dr.Who. I watched it since i was 6yrs old in 1970. When i was a kid Dr.Who was like part of the furniture. It was a national institution! Everybody i knew watched it. And not just the kids, but their families as well.

The closest thing I think the U.S. has had to that type of phenomena was probably Star Trek TNG. It always had high ratings and everyone watched it (according to my brother anyway lol) The first and last episodes of the series both shared the highest rating for the entire show apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    When i was a kid Dr.Who was like part of the furniture. It was a national institution! Everybody i knew watched it. And not just the kids, but their families as well.
    Yes indeed naturally it was

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBeastie View Post
    The closest thing I think the U.S. has had to that type of phenomena was probably Star Trek TNG. It always had high ratings and everyone watched it (according to my brother anyway lol) The first and last episodes of the series both shared the highest rating for the entire show apparently.
    The original Star Trek was very popular over here during the 1970's, when it was a regular on BBC1.
    ST:TNG & the others i think were relegated to cult status on BBC2, if memory serves. Though i think ST:TNG fared way better in the ratings than DS9 or Voyager.

Shame, DS9 is rather good.

Wayne Guest

I agree! It's my favourite of the sequels. Along with 'Enterprise', which nobody else seems to like. Especially in the States, where it got cancelled early.

I love DS9...fraid' I don't share your view on Enterprise lol. But Voyager totally sucked in my opinion. It started out good, but it got bad quick. And they ruined the Kaizon's design- I call em' the Broccoli Heads lol. They weren't bad villans, just poorly designed.

Yes ST-TNG never made it onto BBC1 but ST-TOS was consistently on BBC1 during the 70s at peak viewing times. The show was indeed just as iconic back then as Dr Who.

Pip Madeley Guest

I was going to post my obligatory sonic-screwdriver pic, but it's gone AWOL - can't find anything on this bloody PC!

Did you dress up for it?

Pip Madeley Guest

Indeed, in my brown jacket/shirt & tie/Converse ala David Tennant... thing is, I owned all the clothes before he even became Doctor Who anyway! What a copycat.

Hahaha! Geek Chic indeed!

Pip Madeley Guest

Geek? Very probably. Chic? Definitely!

used to feel a little embarrassed back in the early 90's when I first started to buy DWM at the shops..

You should have bought some girlie mags with it then