Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Kate Bush - New Concerts!

Searched but couldn't find a PS Kate Bush thread, I know there's a few fans here......because......

New song announced, here.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7094467.stm

From the forthcoming soundtrack to the Golden Compass movie.

Squee!!!

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

WhiteCrow Guest

"Wow - ooh wow - ooh wow - Unbelievable!"

I love Kate Bush - about time I got her stuff on CD. She's one of those artists people either love or hate - yeah most of my family fall in the later camp.

Ironically it was a Doctor Who fan who introduced me to her, and the amazing is it called "Love and Rockets", which is the most amazing track.

Blimey! Only two years wait this time! Will it be a single? Will there be a video?

I hope she remembers how tiring all that promotion for "Aerial" was, and takes it easy this time.

Si.

Goodness me, she's reaching the prolific stakes now!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

From NME.com......
    The song will be available for download as part of the soundtrack from December 12.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

WhiteCrow Guest

I think it would be fair to say she set the bar for the brilliant but increasingly crazed, eccentric and demented female solo artists who have followed her such as Tori Amos and Regina Spektor ...

I wonder if it'll get the Oscar like wot Annie Lennox's "Lord of the Rings" song did?

I hope the song is haunting and epic and better than "Aerial" which I still can't quite get into.

A contact sent me a copy of the song to listen to last night.

Unfortunately it's in 'M4A' format, rather than MP3, and I can't figure out how to play it!

Blimey! She got it finished in time to include it on the closing credits!

They must have told her to start putting the song together just as Philip Pullman was thinking about writing his first book...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Searched but couldn't find a PS Kate Bush thread, I know there's a few fans here......because......
    Indeed! she does the soundtrack to our "Hammer Horror" thread

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    she does the soundtrack to our "Hammer Horror" thread
    Thankfully, that's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Thankfully, that's not true.
    Have you heard "Hammer Horror"? Great song!

Good news about the new single too. I'm a big fan, for those who don't know/remember/whatever/

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Have you heard "Hammer Horror"? Great song!
    I'm afraid it's a bit like how i feel about Bob Dylan when it comes to Kate Bush. Some of the songs may be great in themselves, but i just don't like the way they're sung.*

*Wayne, For once resisting his usual sarcastic style which he suspects might get up some people's noses sometimes.
    Last edited by Wayne; 15th Nov 2007 at 7:51 PM.

Both Bush and Dylan are undoubtedly talented artistes, even if they're not to your taste. You have to admit that Kate Bush can technically actually sing exceptionally well indeed, which even die hard Dylan fans might have trouble saying about Bob (as great a singer he may be for other reasons).

Wayne Guest

You have to admit that Kate Bush can technically actually sing exceptionally well indeed
    No i don't.

I'll be serious though:
    I wouldn't say exceptionally well, but yes she can sing.
    The Dylan comparison wasn't to suggest she couldn't sing, but more of a comparison to say that i don't like the way either of them use their voice, even though i might not mind some of the actual songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    No i don't.

I'll be serious though:
    I wouldn't say exceptionally well, but yes she can sing.
    The Dylan comparison wasn't to suggest she couldn't sing, but more of a comparison to say that i don't like the way either of them use their voice, even though i might not mind some of the actual songs.
    I think any of us would use our voices quite differently if we had an eight octave voice (or whatever she has). It's not to all tastes though. You know...the avant garde, darling.

Kate Bush's voice is a thing of fragile beauty. Lay back in the bath and put "Dream of Sheep" on, and it's like you're actually there, adrift in a half-conciousness floating away...

Si.

Wayne Guest

an eight octave voice
    She'd have loads of fans amongst the canine species!

We've just heard "Lyra".

Not an instant classic that's for sure. I doubt it'll be a single. It's three minutes long and very slow and very unmelodic. Kind of haunting but nothing amazing. It'll probably grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    We've just heard "Lyra".

Not an instant classic that's for sure. I doubt it'll be a single. It's three minutes long and very slow and very unmelodic. Kind of haunting but nothing amazing. It'll probably grow.
    We went to see the film on Friday evening, and I have to agree with Si on this one, the song is slow and haunting, nothing really special, but nice enough for an end theme as you're filing out of the cinema with a thousand kids chattering on and not taking any notice of the music.

Nice to see, according to Sky entertainment news, that Kate has been prompted back into the studio to record an album for release in 2008. Given her work rate however, the album may see light around 2018.

Downloaded various Kate Bush vids off t'internet last night, found a couple of amazing little finds (which I guess most hardcore fans already know about). The two that pleased me the most were her appearance on 'Ask Aspel' singing 'Kashka From Baghdad' at the piano , and a six minute interview talking about the writing of Babooshka. We want an official dvd now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    We want an official dvd now!!!
    "sigh" Wouldn't it be great, but sadly an official, definitive, DVD seems as remote as those re-mastered albums that were bandied about a few years ago.

The six minute interview I spoke of is hilarious, she talks about all the 'greats' who are her contemporaries (is that spelt right?), and mentions David Bowie & Cliff Richard!

It's 30 years to the very week that Wuthering Heights entered the charts. One of the best singles of 1978 it spent a total 0f 13 weeks on the chart, four of them at number one, toppling the mighty ABBA's Take A Chance On Me before being toppled by Brian and Michael's Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs. Her album The Kick Inside provided a refreshing antidote to the Greasy mess that was the charts in that year, and also gave Kate a road to longevity and a fanbase that has never deserted her.
    So, the big question, when are we going to get those long promised re-mastered albums, and when are we going to get a definitive DVD and almost forgotten TV and concert performances?

I can only assume that Kate doesn't need the money and is ashamed of her videos/concert footage and doesn't want to make it easily available. She said in that 2001 Q interview that she only liked about 4 minutes of "The Line, The Cross and The Curve" and I imagine she feels the same about the early video tape promos.

It's just madness though that you can't get any kind of official Kate DVD. We say it everytime we go into a music store and see umpteen DVDs from far lesser mortals.