Default BF 105: The Condemned

An Eddie Robson adventure for Colin Baker.

"Dr John Smith – you’re under arrest. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court..."

Manchester, 2008. The TARDIS lands inside a run-down tower block, beside a dead body – which leads to some awkward questions when the Doctor is found there by the police. Made the prime suspect, how can the Doctor prove to the no-nonsense DI Patricia Menzies that this is not the open-and-shut case it seems, and that she’s actually investigating the death of an alien?

Higher up in Ackley House, a girl named Maxine watches the Doctor being taken away in a squad car. Someone wants her to find out what happened in that room, and isn’t going to be happy if she doesn’t come up with the goods. But she’s got hold of someone who knows – someone very important to the Doctor.

A deadly conspiracy is at work – one whose effects will be felt far beyond the walls of Ackley House…
    This could be either brilliant or rubbish. I wouldn't want to place a bet based on this blurb.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Eddie Robson has been a pretty safe bet so far, so I'm thinking this will be pretty good. Better than more Robert Dross, at the very least.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I agree it could be either great or bobbins but it does sound rather formulaic doesn't it?

Is this and "Dancing in the Moonlight" cheap 'n' companionless again, or do we get Mel or Maggie?

Eddie Robson IS the new Terrance Dicks.

Si.

The cover is up on the Big Finish website-as to the companion-go see for yourself

Good to see a couple of new series faces popping up too in William Ash and Anna Hope

I didn't think they'd miss the chance to exploit the end of The Girl Who Never Was... Seems I was right. The cover is quite good, though I'm not sure why all the Doctor's faces are looking title sequence-y in their banners.

Si xx
    Last edited by SiHart; 9th Jan 2008 at 12:42 PM.

Yay! I think that's a great cover. I'm looking forward to this now!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

...has just arrived

"I'm sorry, I was expecting someone else"

It's here.
    Charlotte Smith??

Damn, I can't wait to read this. IMO Eddie Robson is one of the best writers working on BF at the moment. His audios possess a humour and imagination that makes each and everyone a joy to hear. When I get a spare penny or two I may test run BF's new download service with this one...

This is actually quite a good story. It had 'flaws' but if you can look past them then it's quite good. But I found that once I heard the 'reason' then it kind of made the invasion look like a stupid plan. Ridiculous in fact. Stealth...

We very much enjoyed it too. There was something exciting about Charley meeting the 6th Doctor- a new relationship that was good to listen to and helps to give the range some freshness. You know what you're going to get from the established teams and it's nice after such a long time to get a change.

The story itself was fine, well acted and enjoyable to listen to. I didn't think the stealth inavsion Tim alludes to was that silly an idea- I'm sure there have been sillier attempts to invade Earth, and indeed the thing about location and buliding influencing mood is pretty well established now. This just takes it up a notch. Great stuff.

Si xx

For the most part The Condemned was a good tale,I liked the urban grimness of it all,although I do feel keeping the Doctor and Charley apart for so much of the play was a mistake.Nice continuity touch with the aspirin and the story had the feel of Paradise Towers about it,good stuff on the whole

I really enjoyed this one. The Sixth Doctor worked well in a modern day Manchester setting, and I enjoyed his rapport with the woman from "New Earth" a lot. It's a shame he didn't spend much time with Charley (I was dying for him to find out her secret), but all the same this was a fun and lively adventure. Eddie Robson really is a quietly great Doctor Who writer.

Si.

Eddie Robson does seem to be consistently good doesn't he? I've enjoyed all his stories so far.

Si xx

He's the new Terrance Dicks.

Si.

Perhaps we should be calling him Eddie Wobson, then?