WhiteCrow Guest

Default The Lesser Doctor Who - Coronation Street actor crossover

We were at a signing in Newbury (scarey place as my wife rates it), and one of the signees played a Slitheen and had also appeared on Coronation Street.

This gave me a cunning plan!

So in the spirit of the Great Doctor Who - Eastenders actor crossover, I bring you the same thing for Coronation Street.

Include names and photos. But alas as I don't actually know anyone from Coronation Street, I'm not able to start the ball rolling ... I imagine as it's not part of the BBC stable, there'll be less crossover, however it has been going since forever without needing a 16 year hiatus, and is responsible for killing off Sylvester McCoys Doctor "just as it was starting to get good".

Over to you!

Pip Madeley Guest

I'll get the ball rolling...

Helen Worth

Gail Platt in Corrie, some bird in Doctor Who: Colony In Space.

Mark Eden, one of Doctor Who's first major guest stars in 1964's 'Marco Polo', later played the villainous-and-ultimately-squashed-by-a-Blackpool-tram Alan Bradley in 'Coronation Street' from 1986 to 1989:

Ok, a couple more.....

Thelma Barlow

I don't really know, but apparently she played Mavis Wilton in Corrie, and was in the most recent series of DW in The Lazarus Experiment, playing Lady Thaw.

Bruno Langley

He was of course, the companion that never was in DW (Adam Mitchell), as well as recently returning to Corrie to resume playing Todd Grimshaw.

And there's a third one, I say there's a third one.....

John Savident

He lasted the first couple of minutes of The Visitation playing the Squire, before going on to play Fred Elliott for many years in Corrie.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I'm not a huge Corrie fan I'm afriad, so I've gone for the obvious ones I know:

Bryan Mosley (or Buddy Windrush) who played congenial corner shop owner Malpha in TDMP, and galatic despot Alf Roberts in CS

Geoffrey Hinsliff as long suffering Don Brennan and Jack Tyler in Fendahl (I'm ignoring Fisk)

Geoffrey Hughes as indefatigable binman Eddie Yeats, and Mr Popple...the Valeyard (or something) in TOATL

Scanning through IMDB there's a whole host of DW stars in the 'odd episode' category...including , of course, Ian Chesterton himself.
    Bazinga !

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Bryan Mosley (or Buddy Windrush) who played congenial corner shop owner Malpha in TDMP, and galatic despot Alf Roberts in CS
    Bryan Mosley was from Shipley in West Yorkshire (about six miles away from me as I type this) and at one stage there was a campaign going to have a memorial plaque in his memory put in the market place. The slightly awkward thing was that he'd actually keeled over and died in the same market place and I think the idea eventually foundered on the awkwardness of the situation.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Bryan Mosley was from Shipley in West Yorkshire (about six miles away from me as I type this).
    Oh my god, you really do live in Royston Vassey - that would put you smack bang in the middle of Keighley, a place worse than Bracknell in my estimation!!!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Oh my god, you really do live in Royston Vassey - that would put you smack bang in the middle of Keighley, a place worse than Bracknell in my estimation!!!
    Erm, no. Six miles north of Shipley, not north-west- Wharfedale not Airedale. And yes, I know Keighley quite well enough, thankyou...

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Erm, no. Six miles north of Shipley, not north-west- Wharfedale not Airedale. And yes, I know Keighley quite well enough, thankyou...
    I'm responsible for educating the current generation of Keighley citizens. Is it any wonder you can now find me on the other side of the country.

Keighley is so bad, that they've set two films there but done the actual shooting somewhere else ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keighley#Keighley_in_film

In 2003 The Idler magazine set up an online poll to decide which were the 50 worst places to live in Britain. The results were published in the book Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places to Live in the UK. Keighley came in at number 40. Keighley's local newspaper, the Keighley News, reported the reaction of Councillor Andrew Mallinson, chairman of Keighley Town Centre Management Group: "On the positive side, it's nice to know that out of all the towns in the country, Keighley has got a mention!
    The attitude of most outsiders to Keighley, and, indeed, many of its residents can be summed up by the John Cooper-Clarke poem: "I'll tell you now and I'll tell you briefly, I don't never want to go to Keighley."
    You might have noticed, but I didn't have a very good time, and got my life threatened a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Scanning through IMDB there's a whole host of DW stars in the 'odd episode' category...including , of course, Ian Chesterton himself.
    I'd forgotten about those very obvious ones Jon mentioned - doh!

As for William Russell (or Russell Enoch, or whetevr he was calling himself at the time), he was in for a few months, at least during the early 1990s, and, like Mark Eden before him, played Rita's current beau - Ted, I think he was called, and, if I remember correctly, he died on a bench while they were watching a game of bowls. Or something.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    I'd forgotten about those very obvious ones Jon mentioned - doh!

As for William Russell (or Russell Enoch, or whetevr he was calling himself at the time), he was in for a few months, at least during the early 1990s, and, like Mark Eden before him, played Rita's current beau - Ted, I think he was called, and, if I remember correctly, he died on a bench while they were watching a game of bowls. Or something.
    I've just looked up William Russell on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...ll_%28actor%29

I never knew he was in Superman - any idea what his role was? [I know Oz Clarke the wine taster appears as a criminal].

And his son appears in the Harry Potter movies!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I never knew he was in Superman - any idea what his role was?
    I believe he's one of the Krypton elders hanging around in a crowd scene near the start (obviously before Krypton goes pop)
    Bazinga !

Michael Sheard was in Corrie in the late-80s (I think) as a potential suitor for Emily Bishop.

Needless to say, this is not a picture of him in Corrie...

According to several sources I've read, Patrick Troughton appeared in 'Coronation Street' soon after leaving 'Doctor Who'. I can't find any photographic evidence, and an internet search reveals very little, other than that he actually appeared in 1974, as a character called George Barton.

What about Ronald Pickup, has he ever been in Corrie?

Pip Madeley Guest

But Dave Tudor would argue he's never been in Dr Who.

Dave Tudor missed his avatar - a few years ago, Mary Tamm wandered into The Kabin looking for a lost dog. She then walked out again never to return, dashing all hopes that she might take a regular role.

Also Malcolm Hebden (Norris from "Corrie") played the Garm in "Terminus".

Si.

Some of that post may not be true.

I did hear about Tamm's appearance (probably here!) and, alas, I missed her brief dog quest.
    What about Ronald Pickup, has he ever been in Corrie?
    But Dave Tudor would argue he's never been in Dr Who.
    There is no such thing as Ronald Pickup.

Liz Sladen was in Corrie, in 1970, and unlike the mythical Pickup, here's the proof:

And Christopher Coll, who was in The Seeds of Death, was also in Corrie. He was a long-running, on-and-off rival for Mavis' affections, called (I think) Victor Pendlebury (I'd love to say it was Victor Pemberton, but I don't think so). Obviously Derek Wilton won in the end, but I seem to recall Mavis & Victor spending at least one night together in a tent...

Here he is, in a bowler hat (not sure what show it is, but it is a very nice hat):

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    And Christopher Coll, who was in The Seeds of Death, was also in Corrie. He was a long-running, on-and-off rival for Mavis' affections, called (I think) Victor Pendlebury (I'd love to say it was Victor Pemberton, but I don't think so).
    Not only that, but as I seem to recall Victor (of Pendlebury Paper Products) was Derek's boss.

Now that you say it, Ian, that does sort of ring a bell. Crafty beggars, these Corrie writers.

Eric Potts who was one of the human disguises of the Slitheen in Aliens of London (the one who gets superceded by General Asquith) plays Cedric Diggory in Corrie.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Potts was a promising replacement for John Savident but they axed his character before it could get going.

I'm reliably informed that Joanna Lumley ("Curse of Fatal Death") played Ken Barlow's girlfriend, and of course Sarah Lancashire is dropping in New Who Series 4 next year.

Si.

Here's an obvious one who hasn't been mentioned as of yet:

Anne Reid played Ken's first wife Val Barlow (nee Tatlock) in 'Corrie' from 1961 to 1971. Years after her encounter with a dodgy hairdryer, she played Nurse Crane in the Haemovore-festooned 'The Curse Of Fenric' and Plasmavore Florence Finnegan in the nurse- (and doctor) festooned 'Smith And Jones'. Or something.