Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default RIP Verity Lambert OBE

Confirmed by Tom Spilsbury on OG, I understand.

Sad irony that it should be announced on this date.

Pip Madeley Guest

What awful news on the anniversary of the programme that would've got nowhere without such a wonderful lady. Verity was so talented and brave - the youngest drama producer at the time & the only female, and she paved the way so many other new, young, talented females in broadcasting media.

Rest in peace, Verity. I will be watching the first episode tonight in your honour.

Sorry to hear that news - I'd only become familiar with her in recent years with the DVD extras.

OH NO!

This is appalling. On today of all days.

Si.

Oh my goodness!
    I really hadn't expected we'd hear this news for years. She's always been such a wonderful advocate of the show and one of the true legends of British TV. I am going to miss her wonderful inputs into the DVDs and her array of wigs.

As Iain said, it's ironic that it's today the news has broken, and that me and Steve have been watching the first story this week (and listened to some of her commentary only last night).

We'll miss you. Thank you for giving us the best show there's ever been.
    RIP Verity

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

What awful news, and today of all days.

Television would be a very different place today if it wasn't for Verity.

This makes it all the more tragic:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

RIP.
    Last edited by Antony Cox; 23rd Nov 2007 at 12:40 PM.

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

Yes sad news - her death seems more premature than it should have been.

But what a wonderful person she came accross as in interviews.

We're gradually losing the stars that made original Doctor Who. There's only really Carole Ann-Ford, William Russell and Waris Hussein left now. That magical original team is just vanishing into a time vortex...

Si.

I've just spent five minutes staring speechlessly at the monitor. How tragic that this should have happened today of all days. I can't think of a suitable eulogy, so I'll just say rest in peace, Verity, and thanks for everything.

Oh no, that's awful news. She always seemed in excellent form and still looked fab in recent photos. Irrespective of the date, it's very upsetting She was so enthusiastic about everything.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

This is very sad news indeed. RIP verity, and thanks.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I'm not sure I can add much to the lovely comments already said, I'd already decided to watch An Unearthly Child later, I'll do the extras as well.

Very sad news, the Mother of Doctor Who has died.

Thank you for the best TV programme in my lifetime.
    Rest in peace Verity.

That's terrible! Its seems very sudden. I liked her. She always seemed to be up for talking about the show and was quite rightly very proud of it.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    We're gradually losing the stars that made original Doctor Who. There's only really Carole Ann-Ford, William Russell and Waris Hussein left now.
    Carole Ann-Ford will live on to annoy fans well into her hundreds ...

Pip Madeley Guest

Now confirmed by the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7109538.stm

Doctor Who's first producer dies

Doctor Who's first producer, and the BBC's first female TV producer, Verity Lambert, has died aged 71. She was also the youngest person to take charge of a BBC television show when the sci-fi drama started in 1963.

Lambert also produced dramas including Minder, Quatermass, Rumpole of the Bailey and Jonathan Creek, while her company made 1990s BBC soap Eldorado. She was made an OBE in recognition of her services to film and television in January 2002.

Russell T Davies, the current writer and executive producer of Doctor Who, said: "There are a hundred people in Cardiff working on Doctor Who and millions of viewers, in particular many children, who love the programme that Verity helped create. This is her legacy and we will never forget that," he added.

Jane Tranter, controller of BBC Fiction said: "Verity was a total one-off. She was a magnificently, madly, inspirationally talented drama producer."

Lambert had been due to receive a lifetime achievement award at the Women in Film and Television Awards next month.

About time, I sent them an e-mail about the lack of news about 40 minutes ago.

This is very sad news, we have had many deaths from people with links to Doctor Who over the years but this is the first time that I have reacted with true genuin sadness with out Verity, we would not have a show called Doctor Who.

She was a wonderfull woman and I would hope that DWM, devotes it's next issue as a tribute to her

and a wonderfull thing for RTD to do would be to dedicate this years christmas special to her memory.

R I P.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    and a wonderfull thing for RTD to do would be to dedicate this years christmas special to her memory.
    There should be a Who Confidential dedicated to past producers really.

It's the biggest loss since Jon Pertwee really.

Si.

Or since JNT perhaps.

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Or since JNT perhaps.

Si xx
    He's one of those people I keep thinking is still alive, and get all surprised to find out he's not.

We've all grown up watching Doctor Who, and every time someone like this dies it feels like we've lost a friend and a character, and it can feel like a bit of our childhood gets lost along the way.

I am truly shocked, stunned, saddened by this news, on this day of all days.
    We all realise how much we owe to Verity Lambert, the production of those early episodes, her persistance, in producing the Daleks, the "bug eyed monsters" as Sydney Newman called them, and her arguments for their introduction in the series. In later years she formed her own production company and produced many classic series and plays for both ITV and BBC, too many to mention here but they include Budgie, The Naked Civil Servant and Jonathan Creek.
    Let's hope that she gets a posthumous award at the Women in TV and Films next month, she deserves to be remembered in this way.

I had already planned to watch An Unearthly Child later, this has made me more determined to do so.

RIP Verity Lambert, you will be sadly missed.

Very sad news. I'm stunned!

RIP Verity

Full BBC Press Release

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Press Office
    Tributes paid to Verity Lambert
    Category: BBC; TV Drama
    Date: 23.11.2007

Renowned TV Producer Verity Lambert has died aged 71.

Lambert was the first producer of Doctor Who in 1963.

In her career, she also produced dramas including The Newcomers, Adam Adamant Lives!, Minder and Quatermass.

In 1985 Verity formed her own independent television company, Cinema Verity.

She produced the second series of Jonathan Creek and recently completed the second series of BBC One's Love Soup.

In January 2002, Lambert was awarded an OBE in recognition of her services to film and television.

Shortly before she died it was announced that she was to receive the Working Title Films lifetime achievement award at the 2007 Women In Film And Television Awards.

Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction, said: "Verity was a total one-off. She was a magnificently, madly, inspirationally talented drama producer.

"During her long and brilliant career there was no form of drama that was beyond her reach and that she didn't excel at. From the early episodes of Doctor Who to the still to be transmitted comedy drama Love Soup, via Widows, Minder, gbh, Eldorado and Jonathan Creek (to name but the tiniest handful of credits) – Verity was a phenomon.

"She made the television drama genre utterly her own. She was deaf to the notion of compromise and there wasn't an actor, writer, director or television executive she worked with who didn't regard her with admiration, respect and awe.

"She will be hugely missed but her legacy lives on in the dramas she made, and in the generations of eager young programme-makers she has inspired.

"Today (Friday) is the 44th anniversary of her first ever episode of Doctor Who."

Jon Plowman, Executive Producer, BBC Comedy, said: "Verity was a TV giant. Her career spanned the eras, from first episodes of Doctor Who and Minder through to Jonathan Creek and the forthcoming series of Love Soup.

"She was extraordinary – very keen to get shows right and to encourage people, as she did for me in my early days. She never held back in her praise and was not jealous of anyone else's success – she enjoyed watching people grow up around her."

Russell T Davies, the current Writer and Executive Producer of Doctor Who, said: "There are a hundred people in Cardiff working on Doctor Who and millions of viewers, in particular many children, who love the programme that Verity helped create.

"This is her legacy and we will never forget that."

BBC Press Office

WhiteCrow Guest

I think maybe we should have her on the banner to commemorate her life.