Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    WhiteCrow Guest

I have to say seeing as she was the first woman to make it as a TV Producer in a very male dominated system it seems somewhat scandalous that the Women in Film and Television Awards hadn't chosen to honour her much earlier.

Not to my knowledge.

I doubt she'd be bothered she never got to collect the award to be honest - she'd already got two similar from the same institution. Which says a lot for her.

Si.

It does have to be said though that a lot of the obituaries saying she was the first female producer of any kind is a bit of a slight to the likes of Grace Wyndham Goldie and Biddie Baxter.

The one I read (on Teletext) said she was the first BBC Drama Producer and the first female, which might be slightly fairer. Although I'm sure the first female was Eve.

Si.

RIP to a true television legend

without her, we wouldn't be here (on PS) today!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Thank you, Verity, for bringing Doctor Who onto our television screens. Your legacy will live on... every time a child hides behind the sofa (and secretly cheers ) at the appearance of the Daleks and every time a viewer cheers when the Doctor gains the upper hand not with his fists but with his head and his hearts, your name lives on.
    Arisia Corporate President
    Assistant DivHead - Events, Arisia 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It's the biggest loss since Jon Pertwee really.

Si.
    Yes, that's how I feel- that kind of sadness. My friend told me last night, as he's a film and TV buff. I feel absolutely saddened. She's the same age as my Dad as well, so it feels premature- how did it happen? Her family and friends must be shocked-
    RIP Verity, you were an inspiration for women in media.

A MESSAGE FROM WARIS HUSSEIN.
    SATURDAY NOVEMBER 24TH 2007

Verity was not only my producer but a lifelong friend from the earliest days when we were assigned a programme called " Dr.Who" by the then Head of BBC Drama Sydney Newman. We were both at the beginning of our careers and anxious to do the best we could. Neither Verity or I could have realized the impact of " Dr. Who" and it is with wonder and happiness that I see what we created. Directors have come and gone but I am proud to say I was the person chosen to work with Verity and we were the ones, with Sydney's inspiration, to bring the series to life.

Verity's subsequent success was inevitable and I was glad to be a part of it. I directed the first episodes of " The Newcomers" and later the suffragette series " Shoulder To Shoulder" and " Edward and Mrs. Simpson" which won us an Emmy and Bafta.
    Verity was unique. She will leave a large vacuum in the world of Film and Television.

Waris Hussein
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Shame Ian had to brag about his fancy dinner before he posted that.

Par for the course from him...

RIP Verity - Thanks for everything!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Shame Ian had to brag about his fancy dinner before he posted that.
    He's probably busy working on a book called "Doctor Who The Early Years - How I made a contribution which no-one remembers right from the first days", it's just a shame Verity isn't around anymore to confirm what a huge contribution he made.

Pip Madeley Guest

Addendum:

Doctor Who's first producer, who died last month, has been honoured with a posthumous award by Women in Film and Television (WFTV). Verity Lambert, the BBC's first female TV producer, had been due to pick up the lifetime achievement award but died on 22 November at the age of 71.

WFTV chair Sophie Balhetchet described Lambert as "a passionate professional, a mentor, an inspiration. Our sadness is that Verity Lambert, whom we honour with our lifetime achievement award, died a few days ago. Lambert was a truly exemplary woman in the work she produced and the life she lived".

sadly this award has come to late I'm sure many will agree with me when I say she should of been awarded a "life Time Achievement award" years ago.

Pip Madeley Guest

Good news:

BBC4 will dedicate an evening to the life and work of the late Verity Lambert, Doctor Who's first producer.

The evening of programmes, due to be screened in April, will showcase a specially made documentary about Lambert's work on Doctor Who, Quatermass and many more classic TV shows. Friends and colleagues from throughout Verity's career, including Russell T Davies, will participate in the show.

The documentary will be followed by a selection of episodes from Verity's best known shows, including Doctor Who.

Excellent news. Should be worth a watch.

Schedule for the night:

The full listing on Radio Times is:
    19:00 The Naked Civil Servant
    20:20 Doctor Who
    20:45 Doctor Who
    21:10 Doctor Who
    21:35 Verity Lambert: Drama Queen
    22:35 Minder
    23:30 Jonathan Creek

Si xx

What day is it on?

Si.

I gather it's Saturday 5th April.

The DVD recorder will be busy that night!

Si xx

nice to see the BBC, paying tribute to Verity..

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    The DVD recorder will be busy that night!

Si xx
    Most (if not all) of it's available on DVD, but I'll be recording the documentary.

Apparently they're showing "The Daleks".

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I've heard "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" elsewhere...

Edited to add: No, Si's right:

Doctor Who: The Daleks
    Saturday 5th April at 20:30 on BBC 4
    The Dead Planet: The Tardis lands on Skaro, which appears to be an inhabited planet. However, the Doctor is about to meet the creatures that will become his greatest enemies and finds himself battling to save the peaceful Thals. Vintage sci-fi adventures, starring William Hartnell. First shown in 1963, when the Daleks made their debut on television. Part of Verity Lambert Night