2 12.50%
  • Planet of the Daleks Version 1

8 50.00%
  • Arc of Infinity Version 1

0 0%
  • Ambassadors of Death Version 2

4 25.00%

Default Target Cover Competition - Group 9

Arc of Infinity is one of the worst covers in the range, so was never in danger of getting my vote.

The Rescue's cover is pretty dull, and the Hartnell likeness isn't all that great either.

Power of Kroll is let down by a very poor Tom Baker likeness, but beats a lot of the rest by at least not being as bad.

Ambassadors fo Death is pretty dull looking too, though at least it looks well drawn.

Planet of the Daleks has the very odd effect of making it look like one of Pertwee's hands is missing. Really!!! Look at the hand and it almost looks like it's part of the Dalek. It's the best cover on offer by far here, though it would struggle to get my vote in better company.

Rescue is nice enough but looks unfinished, so no.
    Power of Kroll is superb art work & I'd be delighted to produce it but it only gets 2nd here.
    Planet of the Daleks is also quite good art work but not good enough.
    Arc of Infinity is total pants & the person who agreed the use of it should be ashamed of himself/herself!
    Ambassadors of Death is good & quite spooky & has a sense of mystery about it (if you'd never seen the TV story) & gets my vote.

I'm going to go for Kroll,Kroll, Kroll, which I've always liked since borrowing the hardback book from the library when I was young.

Arc is indeed one of the dullest covers ever. Planet of the Daleks is pretty good and quite exciting, Ambassadors is mean and moody and The Rescue is just a hotch-potch of images and doesn't really work too well.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Tough choice between Kroll and Planet of the Daleks , but Planet just edges it for me, as already said Arc, is utterly abysmal amd the cover is pretty much in keeping for what an awful story it was on tv.

Wayne Guest

Kroll is good, but i was dithering between Ambassadors & Planet of the Daleks. In the end, the nostalgia factor swung it for POTD.

Pip Madeley Guest

I went for The Rescue, cause I like it.

These covers range from the downright awful ('Arc') and the not bad but underwhelming ('Rescue') to the nostalgic ('Kroll') and the almost iconic ('Planet'), right through to the excellent ('Ambassadors').

Pearson's Martian, of course, gets my vote.

I voted for Arc of Infinity, because it's definitely the best one in this bunch.

Of course I didn't really, I'm not quite as deranged as that. Although it's semi-resemblance to the cover of The Brain of Morbius always rather delighted me.

Of the genuine-contenders, The Rescue is done nicely enough but chooses an unsatisfying pic of Hartnell. It's also not a very exciting cover, and is just too green.

The Power of Kroll is nicely done, and although it's an unusual Tom I rather like it. Although his cavalier attitude in smiling for the camera while such wanton destruction is going on just behind him seems rather shocking!!

The Ambassadors of Death is gorgeous, simple but effective and tremendously well-done.

On the other hand, Planet of the Daleks is an OTT cartoony cover, with a very poor rendering of Pertwee. It scores higher than it should with me, because I remember my brother bringing it home from the school library in 1981, and it looked like just the most exciting thing ever.

But on this occasion, even nostalgia can't get Planet a point, and I'm going for the grasping Ambassador. Spooky!

Planet of the Daleks rocks!!!!!!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Kroll is good, but i was dithering between Ambassadors & Planet of the Daleks. In the end, the nostalgia factor swung it for POTD.
    I'd agree it's Planet or Ambassadors - I'm undecided at present

Planet, for just being plain wierd.

For pure artwork reasons, I should vote for Ambassadors which looks quite stunning really. However, I view this polls as "Favourite" rather than "Best" and nostalgia usually swings my votes - so I'm going for Planet. Not one of Achilleos' best IMO (I prefer the ones with a b&W Doctor usually) but I have fond memories of the book going back a good 30 years now and the covers were always eye-catching - this was no exception. The Doctor's missing hand is funny though!

Pertwee's hand is not missing, upon closer inspection it is plain that he is wearing navy blue gloves and is firmly grasping the sucker arm! (Oooeer!!!!)
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

And he was supposed to hate the Daleks! Were his desires once spurned by one? We should be told!