WhiteCrow Guest

Default Lets remember ... ONE HIT WONDERS

I thought it would be great to have a thread to commemorate the best and worst in one hit wonders.

I know Si Hunt will get all excited here cos he can mention Hanson and their one hit Mmm-Bop. Or maybe Chesney Hawkes ironically titled "One and only".

------------------------------

I'll start the ball rolling with a song about a girl who triggers a nuclear war.

Yes, it's Nena with 99 Red Balloons ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_Luftballons

Both the English and German versions of the song tell a story of ninety-nine balloons floating into the air, triggering an apocalyptic overreaction by military forces. The music was composed by Uwe Fahrenkrog-Petersen, the keyboardist of Nena's band, while Karges wrote the original German lyrics. Kevin McAlea wrote the English version, titled "99 Red Balloons" (on an envelope, which he alleges he still has), which has a more satirical tone than the original. The English version is not a direct translation of the German but contains a somewhat different set of lyrics.

The song came during a period of escalating rhetoric and strategic maneuvering between the United States and the Soviet Union in the Cold War. In particular, its international chart success followed the United States deployment of Pershing II missiles in West Germany in January 1984 (in response to the Soviet deployment of new SS-20 nuclear missiles), which prompted protests across western Europe. The following month, Nena topped the UK Singles Chart with "99 Red Balloons" for three weeks, starting in 28 February 1984. Unusually, in the United States the German version was more successful, charting at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. On March 26, 1984, it was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America, for shipment of over 500,000 copies. "99 Luftballons" became the first German-language record to reach the top ten on the US charts since "Sailor (Your Home Is the Sea)" by Lolita in 1961. Although the German version was the hit version in America, both the German and English versions receive radio airplay in the United States today.

Pip Madeley Guest

She had hairy armpits, didn't she?

Here's a great one hit wonder...

Jilted John - Jilted John

Graham Fellows first came to prominence as "Jilted John", a character who had a hit single in 1978 that was named after his own alter-ego. The single was performed in the aggressive, minimalist style of the then-prevailing punk/New Wave style, but with poppier influences, somewhat akin to Buzzcocks. The novelty hit was most memorable for its biting lyrics, a first-person narrative of a bitter teenager named John whose girlfriend Julie had left him for another guy named Gordon, 'just 'cause he's better lookin' than me/just 'cause he's cool and trendy.' Produced by Martin Hannett, the song reached number 4 in the UK singles chart. It was memorably introduced by David Jensen on Top of the Pops as 'one of the most bizarre singles of the decade'. A concept album followed, entitled True Love Stories, charting John's love-life - but unlike the single, it was not a hit, and no other recordings followed, making Jilted John a one-hit wonder.
    "Gordon is a moron!"

WhiteCrow Guest

A One Hit Wonder Graham Fellows might have been, but he's the comic genius behind John Shuttleworth,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_...n_Shuttleworth

Thankfully John Shuttleworth's never been able to chart,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Ufc8bnD8DE

I don't think we're ready for "Snake Pass", "My Wife Died in 1970" or "Up And Down Like A Bride's Nightie".

Pip Madeley Guest

A One Hit Wonder Graham Fellows might have been, but he's the comic genius behind John Shuttleworth,
    Preaching to the converted, my friend, I've seen 'John' several times and met Graham I wanted to spearhead a campaign to get "Can't Go Back To Savoury Now" to number one

I feel Si Hunt's forthcoming rage at Hanson being called "one hit wonders" from here!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    I feel Si Hunt's forthcoming rage at Hanson being called "one hit wonders" from here!
    I know - great isn't it?

Zager and Evans Took In The Year 2525 to the top of the charts in 1969, a bit of a prophetic song as it foresees man on the moon and test tube babies to name but two.

Zager and Evans were a Lincoln, Nebraska rock-pop duo of the late 1960s and early 1970s named after its two members, Denny Zager and Rick Evans, who met at Nebraska Wesleyan University. Artists Dave Trupp and Mark Dalton backed up the duo.

Zager and Evans are best known for their immensely popular "In the Year 2525", written by Rick Evans. The song warned of the dangers of technology, portraying a future in which the human race would at length be destroyed by its own technological and medical innovations and Divine wrath. The last stanza of the song intimates a continuing cycle of birth, death and rebirth of mankind.

"In the Year 2525" hit number one on the pop charts in 1969. It claimed the #1 spot for six weeks, a remarkable achievement. It also topped the charts in the UK. Coincidentally, it was number one on July 20, 1969 in the USA, the date of the first manned moon landing by astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. It was nominated for a special Hugo Award that same year.

The song was originally written in 1964 and recorded and released in 1967 on the Truth Records label. After a radio station in Odessa, Texas popularized the two-year old record, RCA Records distributed the song nationwide. Sales of the original hit recording (including singles sales, album usage and compilation inclusions) now total over 10 million units worldwide.

The band signed with RCA records, who claimed they were "The Next Big Thing", but follow-up singles, such as "Mr. Turnkey" (a song about a rapist who nails his own wrist to the jail wall as punishment for his crime) achieved only minor success. "In the Year 2525" was their only top 40 song.

Denny Zager and Rick Evans no longer perform as a duo, but they both remain in the music business and remain friends. Denny Zager now builds custom guitars at www.zagerguitar.com

"In the Year 2525" has been covered by industrial frontrunners Laibach as well as gothic rock frontrunners Fields of the Nephilim. In addition to these two bands, Project Pitchfork also covered it in the early 90's on their CD "Dhyani".

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    Zager and Evans Took In The Year 2525 to the top of the charts in 1969, a bit of a prophetic song as it foresees man on the moon ...
    When did Armstrong walk on the Moon again?

I know Si Hunt will get all excited here cos he can mention Hanson and their one hit Mmm-Bop.
    It took me ages to find this! Anyway, it's quite untrue of course. They've had loads of hits.

But as we mention them, this'll make you feel old - Zac (the youngest Hanson) has just announced he's going to be a Dad! Ike already has a child, and Taylor has three!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

It took me ages to find this! Anyway, it's quite untrue of course. They've had loads of hits.
    It's true, 7 top 25 hits.

Yes. But that aside, there is far more to a band than number of UK singles. The group are on their fifth album, touring successfully and sounding better than ever. The last record was released on their own label, and became one the most successful independent releases of all time selling 350,000 copies and spawning a Billboard Number 2 hit. Not bad for a "one hit wonder" band ten years into their career.

Si.

I once put Hmmm Bop on at one of Si parties and there was nearly a riot. I had to switch it off to calm the angry masses.

(I think Si was upstairs or asleep or something)

Pip Madeley Guest

@ Paul

WhiteCrow Guest

Yes of course I'm baiting Mr Hunt there, Hanson were not one-hit wonders, it's just wishful thinking on my party.

I think the uber-cheesy Hanson Christmas album is on constant play in Hell's PA system ...

I have that, and play it every year while I'm wrapping my presents. It's a treat!!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    When did Armstrong walk on the Moon again?
    July 1969, I remember it well, but...

The song was originally written in 1964 and recorded and released in 1967 on the Truth Records label. After a radio station in Odessa, Texas popularized the two-year old record, RCA Records distributed the song nationwide.