Pip Madeley Guest

Default Jackson 5 reunite in 2008?

Another classic reunion on the cards?

Jackson Five 'could tour in 2008'

The Jackson Five are to reunite for a tour, with Michael Jackson set to take part, brother Jermaine has said. He told BBC 6 Music that concert dates have been discussed and could take place "sometime in 2008". "Michael will be involved," the singer and guitarist confirmed. "We feel we have to do it one more time. We owe that to the fans and to the public. "

The group last toured as The Jacksons - with six members - in support of the Victory album in 1984. They released one more album, 1989's 2300 Jackson Street, before formally disbanding in 1990. Rumours of a reunion have circulated for years, and Jermaine confirmed that the project was delayed by Michael's trial for child abuse in 2005.

"There's been so much going on, getting over all the hurdles that we all were faced with during Michael's trial, but we are stronger than ever. I'm gonna say thank you, thank you, thank you so much to all the fans and the supporters of my family all over Europe, all over the UK especially, who came out to show their love and their support."

Jermaine, who sang lead vocals for the band until his younger brother took over, added that Michael would definitely be part of the reunion. "He has to be," he said. "He is a Jackson. He was at the meetings. Michael will be involved." The star also hinted at new material, saying that the band was "in the studio at the moment".

Desparate! Getting back together must have been as easy as 1-2-300 million dollars.

Rumours of a reunion have circulated for years, and Jermaine confirmed that the project was delayed by Michael's trial for child abuse in 2005.
    Don't blame it on the sunshine...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

This is barely news at all. They in fact last reunited just a couple of years ago for Jackson's 30th Anniversary concert (a dire event if ever there was one) and the remaining Jacksons (the ones who don't have careers) have regularly mooted reunions down the years; sometimes they happen, sometimes they don't. But I wouldn't believe it til Michael confirms it, and even then it'll just be him doing a few shows with them to keep them all happy between his solo projects.

There is no desperation, not on his part anyway.

Si.

It's no more desperate than Genesis or Spice or any of the other reunited groups.

I hope La Toya is involved. Even if it's just sweeping the stage.

I find the rumoured involvement of Janet difficult to believe. But I would write the group into my will if they let LaToya come on and sing "Hot Potato" accapella.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

It's no more desperate than Genesis or Spice or any of the other reunited groups.
    Genesis and Spices reunited for fun, but other bands are probably doing it for the money or because they've seen others do it and regain fame/popularity (ie Boyzone).

I do think that's why the press are so anti the Spice reunion. Simply, they like to either build someone up, or to knock them down. They liked Take That because they had already admitted defeat, split up, the journo's had had their ten chunks out of Gary and, as a bonus, Take That reforming helped make Robbie look sunk. I think what really irritates them about the Spice Girls is that they didn't HAVE to do it. They did, actually, do it for fun. This is a simplification; I'm sure the money was a factor, and has helped a few of the girls, but essentially they all have career's and had to be persauded to do it. The press simply don't like the idea of five millionairesses who, in all truth, are almost too busy for the reunion anyway, doing it because of public demand. They'd prefer them to have been forced into it out of desperation.

Si.