Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default The Five Doctors SE DVD

First mentioned in the 2008 Rumoured Releases thread, Tenth Planet have announced the release of The Five Doctors on two-disc Special Edition DVD - BBCDVD2450.

What do we all think? Will it contain the proper, original version? Did you buy the original release back in 1999? Do you feel ripped off? Or very happy? Will we get lots of unseen extras like location film and studio footage? Squee?

Two discs - I wonder if it'll be the original, and the 'Special Edition' together. Bit like the recent Star Wars releases. Hopefully there'll be lots of extras though - Nationwide 3Dr interview, Blue Peter ("Indeed there is, tomorrow morning!") and those marvellous trailers ("Yes, we've seen some times Doctor").

The Original edit had better be on there or there'll be trouble. I don't mind if they tweak the SE or do yet another version with new effects etc, as long as we get the proper version with it (and at least the episode ends of the 4 part version). There should be plenty of stuff to go on there- all the ones Andrew said, Pebble Mill at One, plus maybe some Longleat footage, the news reports about the 20th anniversary convention in the States, a great big making of... there's plenty that could be included. It could be one of the finest sets ever if they do it right this time.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Hurndall and his big bus on Blue Peter is a must.

They can leave off the cacky Special Edition for all I care, as long as we get the original.

Si.

Leaving off the SE could be a good move, as it'll stop fans complaining about having to buy it twice over.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Leaving off the SE could be a good move, as it'll stop fans complaining about having to buy it twice over.

Si xx
    Ah, but then you'll get the other set of moaning fans, complaining that they can't get the R1 commentary.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Ah, but then you'll get the other set of moaning fans, complaining that they can't get the R1 commentary.
    I've got it. (I've never listened to it yet though)

I'll buy this dvd if there's a bunch of good extras on it, otherwise they can SHOVE IT GUV!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I've got it. (I've never listened to it yet though)
    Same here! What kind of anorak listens to commentaries?

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    What kind of anorak listens to commentaries?
    Me, Jonno, & Tim a week last Monday.

Provided it includes the original version, I'll buy it. If the special edition is on there as a bonus, well, to be honest I don't care. Just make sure the original is there. The available material for extras should be interesting too. According to the Wikipedia entry every bit of footage shot for the story survives in broadcastable format, including alternate takes and fluffs.

Will there be an option to watch with 25-year-old Children In Need phone numbers on the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    Will there be an option to watch with 25-year-old Children In Need phone numbers on the screen?
    That's a good point, actually! If they're intent on releasing 60's stories as they would have originally been seen (re: VidFIRE), then strictly speaking, this is the next logical step!

I agree with everyone in that I'd like to see the original and special editions released together, rather like 'The Curse Of Fenric' DVD, with lots of lovely extras, including that 21st anniversary Children In Need reunion with all the old companions coming out of the TARDIS.

The only version I have on DVD is a straight DVD transfer of the original VHS release, so I'll be buying it anyway!

You know you're a Doctor Who fan when you talk about "straight DVD transfers"! Someone on the RT today actually described a video not working as having "severe tape dropout"!
    According to the Wikipedia entry every bit of footage shot for the story survives in broadcastable format, including alternate takes and fluffs.
    It does, I have it! Si Hart gave it to me. There's hours worth of Jon Pertwee in Bessie swearing and Sladen freezing her tits off in the Death Zone.

Si.

I look forward to it's release, and the moaning from fans for it not containing all 3 hours worth.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    According to the Wikipedia entry every bit of footage shot for the story survives in broadcastable format, including alternate takes and fluffs.
    Did you ever meet my Aunty Mable?

Make way for a naval officer!

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    First mentioned in the 2008 Rumoured Releases thread, Tenth Planet have announced the release of The Five Doctors on two-disc Special Edition DVD - BBCDVD2450.

?
    usualy I have a very cynical attitude towards these re-releases, but The Five Doctors, is one that has been screaming out for a new updated release with extras for a long time now and one I'll happelly buy.

As to which version they put on it I'm not at all that bothered and am much more interested in seeing what extras are on it.

Pip Madeley Guest

According to a post on OG:

Standard TX Edition (New to DVD) and Special Extended Edition.

Includes the best Doctor Who Easter Egg ever!, 2 Commentaries, 2 Documentaries, Isolated score and raw footage from the gallery, Coming Soon to DVD Trailer, Photo Gallery, Radio Times billings, Programme Subtitles and Subtitle production notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    According to a post on OG:

Standard TX Edition (New to DVD) and Special Extended Edition.

so very much like The Curse of Fenrick release,

Including the episodic, could this be a fourth version of this story?

Si.

I don't think so. Didn't Steve Roberts say there wouldn't be another SE of the story recently?

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Didn't Steve Roberts say there wouldn't be another SE of the story recently?

Si xx
    He did indeed.

More cool & awesome extras cleared at the BBFC......
    00:18:44:13 FIVE DOCTORS - ONE STUDIO
    00:06:34:12 (OUTTAKES)
    00:08:58:07 (NOT SO) SPECIAL EFFECTS
    00:00:54:07 DOCTOR WHO - COMING SOON TO DVD...
    00:10:28:05 SATURDAY SUPERSTORE
    00:08:02:12 BLUE PETER
    00:09:07:19 NATIONWIDE
    00:02:44:08 BREAKFAST TIME
    00:15:53:11 THE TIES THAT BIND US
    00:00:19:24 BBC (EASTER EGG)

(NOT SO) SPECIAL EFFECTS
    It better not be slagging off the stories special effects, especially given that the RT's 'replacement' ones in '93 were even crapper.

Si.

Perhaps they're discussing the not-so special effects of the SE?

Si xx

A little more info from Steve Roberts:

You've only seen listings for the extras on disc 2 so far...

And '(Not So) Special Effects' is not taking the pee, it's looking at the reality of low budget effects work, where high explosives, tin-tacks and gaffer tape all play an integral part in the final result.
    Si xx