8 40.00%
  • Planet Of Evil

0 0%
  • Destiny Of The Daleks

0 0%
  • Davros Boxset

1 5.00%

Default Best Classic Doctor Who DVD of 2007

So come on then, what was your favourite mistake, sorry, release of the Classic Doctor Who dvd range this year?

Is it The Key To Time, for it's Tamm quota? Or do you prefer Dicks, and want to vote for Time Warrior? Or are you still waiting for your internet retailer to post your copy of Destiny?

Vote, and let us know why!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Wayne Guest

I demand a list!

Oh scrub that, It's suddenly turned into a poll!

Shut it!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Wayne Guest

See my edit.

Wayne Guest

Anyway,
    My actual fave stories are 'Robot' & 'The Time Warrior', but the best release has to be the splendid 'Key To Time' box set. 6 stories for a great price, & bulging with extras!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Although the Key to Time set is indeed a wonderful thing and a joy to behold, I voted for 'Survival', as much as anything because of some very interesting extras which had a lot to say about an era of Who which is very relevant to me.

I likedthe Key to Time set a great deal, but I think my favourite was New Beginnings. It was just a tremendous set, chocful of some of the best extras we've ever had on a set, and of course it really is my classic era too.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Davros has always had a special place in my heart! He was the first big-villain I can remember as a child (Genesis), and has stayed with me through to my fast-approaching middle-age!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Pip Madeley Guest

Like Si, I thought the KTT set was great, but New Beginnings stood out as the finest release of the year - the Castrovalva film sequences looked fantastic, Tom's input was refreshingly candid, and there was lots of rare bits and bobs I'd never seen before.

I'm not sure whether I ought to vote or not, as I've only got New Beginnings and Survival from that set. BUT I can't imagine anything bettering the New Beginnings set. As well as containing two of my favourite stories, it also (as Si says) benefits from a pretty frank contribution from Tom, and also from Peter.

Also, it wins over the KTT set because alkl the extras were essential. The KTT was chocful of goodies, but it suffered from a couple of extras that either went nowhere or felt like space fillers.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Anyway,
    My actual fave stories are 'Robot' & 'The Time Warrior', but the best release has to be the splendid 'Key To Time' box set. 6 stories for a great price, & bulging with extras!
    I agree on all counts surprisingly enough Wayne

K2T gets my vote especially with the Tamm factor!

Although I own most of this year's releases, I still haven't watched them all. But even if I didn't own any, I think I still would have voted for 'The Key To Time' - on paper it looked great, and, indeed, it really is one of the best single releases ever. It's Tamm-tastic!

Arguably I shouldn't be voting in this as I've only watched up to and including Time Warrior - however, I have voted for New Beginnings because not only is it a superb set with two stories I like very much (and Castrovalva!) but, as others have mentioned, the extras were fab too (and I've yet to do the commentaries).

Also, looking through that list, NB and Time Warrior were the only two releases I pre-ordered and thus got as soon as they came out. In effect, they were the only two releases I really looked forward to this year, and I feel that this expanded release rate, demanded by so many fans, is not to my personal taste. The DVDs have, for now, stopped being an exciting, essential purchase. I've been disappointed by the complete lack of 60s stories this year too.

Although I have a soft spot for "The Time Warrior" DVD, I voted for "New Beginnings" because the extras and presentation were superb. These two sets were my favourites.

It's odd, we've had some great DVD's this year but half of this years selection rules itself out due to the bizarre run of clunkers someone chose to schedule for most of this year! I really think the decision to drop both "Time Flight" and "Arc" on us in the wake of "Timelash" was a wrong one, as the piles of unsold vile red sets currently going for £8 in bargain bins may testify. They should be dropping the shoddier stories into the schedule subtley and strategically so they're eclipsed by the good ones, but from the run of stories released this year, one might be forgiven for thinking that Doctor Who was rubbish.

I also felt that "Key to Time" seemed like the best thing since sliced bread at the time (and the packaging looked gorgeous) but the season is let down by watching it in order, as it reveals the dwindling quality as they got to the end of the year and ran out of cash. Also, as Si said, there were a smattering of shit outsourced extras that we didn't need.

I feel a bit bloated on DVD's this year, and "Destiny" this month was a little bit less of a special event than a Doctor Who DVD usually is on account of the seven other stories released in the four weeks before.

So a fruitful, but patchy year for the DVDs.

Si.

I voted for KTT, simply because it was a season box set and that for me just edges it over the others.

I voted for N.B but it was a close run thing between that & T.K.T.T set.
    I'm with Si Hunt on a what he says, it's been a patchy year but there was too many clunkers released together. There also seems to have been a glut of box sets this year which have stretched the coffers to the point where the Davros set has yet to be acquired by myself & many others.

I voted for New Beginnings, a wonderful set of extras, and beating KtT by containing better stories too.