Default The 'Futurekind'

What were they all about in "Utopia"? I assume the message from Utopia itself was sent by the Master to lure the humans, and the humans who went there in the rocket became the Toclafane, but what were all those Futurekind folk doing roaming the surface of the planet? I know there was talk along the lines of "they say that they are what we are destined to turn into" or something, but was that ALL there was to it? Were we just meant to think that humankind would stay exactly the same for 50 trillion years, before suddenly being 'destined' to evolve into a bunch of feral punk rockers for no apparent reason other than to provide a really rubbish 'monster' for one episode? Or did I miss something?

WhiteCrow Guest

It was the end of the Universe as we knew it - but I felt fine.

I guess the point of it was the Universe was dying. You had the last humans who hung onto the hope of Utopia. The Futurekind seemed more of a nihilistic race, humans reverting back to something more primal and animalistic, simply because in facing the Universe you'd go mad.

The irony was of course, once Utopia was revealed to be a false hope, mankind with all it's higher sense of being became something far worse when their hope dried out - the Toclafane.

Looking back on the series of course, the Daleks envied humanities ability to thrive and survive in Daleks in Manhattan. And yet humanities end fate is to become some twisted parody of the Daleks, trapped inside a machine with an urge for war and death, with no compassion for those they used to be like.