Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Well I thought it was great fun. But it takes all sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Well I thought it was great fun. But it takes allsorts.
    Yes I didn't like that Bertie Bassett one either

Why isn't there a groan smiley?

There is! It's this one!

Sheer class!

I thought that was the "morning after the night before" emoticon.

Yeah yeah and I thought means tongue in cheek but it also means slavering over some tasty totty not to mention rudely sticking your tongue out - don't restrict yourself Jonno ...hang loose there
    Last edited by Ralph; 15th Dec 2007 at 1:31 PM.

No, on second thoughts, put it away...

I've seen episodes 3 and four of Inferno, and it's started picking up just a bit now that the action's moved to the other Earth. Still not sure about it though. i like the way the countdown continues over the start of the credits at the end of episode four though.

I just watched Delta and the Bannermen and Dragonfire.

WHAT A RELIEF!!!!!!!! It was touch and go for a second there after Time and the Rani and Paradise Towers! Delta was quite enjoyable (Yankees!? NYC reference? Wicked!) although, I couldn't get over the fact all those alien tourists died! They were just killed! Just like that?? And the Guide too...no more trips to Disneyland for aliens I suppose....

And Dragonfire was just marvelous. I love Ace, and Kane was brilliantly acted. The SPFX were fantastic and at it's top. Even Kane's demise was spectacular!

All in all, McCoy is starting to win me over. Finally! Next is Remembrance of the Daleks...

Oh wow! i REALLY LOVE McCoy! Remembrance of the Daleks was a fantastic episode! The budget looked much higher than previous episodes, and the writing was top notch. And Ace is badass Although, it seems that for a 16yr old she gets around...a lot lol

I think she gets around remarkably little for a 16yr old actually.

It's Gridlock in surround sound tonight, it's a fabulous episode, loads of energy and cool visuals. And crabs. Hurrah!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    I think she gets around remarkably little for a 16yr old actually.
    Well, thus far, in her two premiere episodes- it's hinted she slept with Glitz, and in Remembrance, it's very obvious she slept with the racist "toe rag"

I think she would have done given half a chance, but I don't think she actually did. Or am I actually appallingly naive?

(I have a hideous suspicion that this is going to be one of those occasions where everybody else in the world assumes that Ace did do Mike, and it's just me who missed it!)

Okay, there's a quick scene where she's in his house and walks in and she's in a bathrobe and her hair is wet as if she had just come out of the shower and he's there. If that's not enough, in a later scene he tells her "make sure dinner's ready when I come back" and she scowls at him. THEN, if that's STILL not enough proof, when he's revealed as a spy she gets all teary and feels entirely betrayed-not feelings you'd have towards someone you've just met or been acquainted with. They totally did it lol

I didn't pick up on it myself. But then I was about 9 when I first saw it.

Anyway, like I say, quite a low score for a 16 yr old of her calibre

Pip Madeley Guest

Tonight, while suffering a headache, I decided to watch The Monster of Peladon. "Why God, Why?" you cry. Well, I rather enjoy it. It could probably have been cut down by an episode (the number of Aggedor attacks could've been cut), but the actual progression of the story is fairly sound, as a new question is asked and resolved with each episode. The cliffhangers are all pretty sound too, although the impact of the Ice Warriors arrival is lessened as you hear them in the Communications Room just before. Nevertheless it's a great boost to the story, twisting things just as you think you know it all.

I love the almost theatrical quality to the script, particularly during the Throne Room scenes, as the characters argue their corners eloquently. Nina Thomas sometimes gets a bad press as Queen Thalira, but given the background to her character, it would be silly if she acted any differently. And the message of women's lib is well delivered in that scene between the Queen, Sarah and the Doctor - a good use of Sarah's well-thought and established character in a time before she became just another screamer. Frank Gatliff's Hepesh is a little grating at first as he continually accuses the Doctor, but his change of heart & softer side come through later and it's another positive for the story. Rex Robinson also impresses as the calm and collected Gebek, probably his finest Doctor Who appearance. Ralph Watson meanwhile is pretty annoying as Ettis, he suffers from the same problem as Hepesh in the early episodes, being so single-minded that you just want to lamp him... but again, probably quite right considering the characterisation.

It's lovely to have Alpha Centurai back, one of the highlights of 'Curse', but as for the other aliens, the Ice Warriors, they disappoint. With the exception of Alan Bennion, they just come across as lumbering idiots... but Bennion does a good job of the 'character' he created, and it amuses me that Azaxyr is killed by a swift blow to the testicles. His partner-in-crime Eckersley is pretty well handled by Donald Gee, although the character loses a little credibility when he talks of his plan to rule the Earth. Bit ridiculous. But not as ridiculous as Terry Walsh's appearances as the Doctor. I mean, come on, as if that's Pertwee. I'm surprised Lennie Mayne let those shots out...

Overall, it's nice to have a Pertwee story set away from Earth, without any mention of The Master, UNIT or Jo. And Pertwee's Doctor isn't being a dick for once!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBeastie View Post
    Okay, there's a quick scene where she's in his house and walks in and she's in a bathrobe and her hair is wet as if she had just come out of the shower and he's there. If that's not enough, in a later scene he tells her "make sure dinner's ready when I come back" and she scowls at him. THEN, if that's STILL not enough proof, when he's revealed as a spy she gets all teary and feels entirely betrayed-not feelings you'd have towards someone you've just met or been acquainted with. They totally did it lol
    She's stayed overnight, I don't think it proves they were sharing the same bed. The landlady there doesn't look like the type who'd allow them to share a room either. She is meant to fancy him a little I think but I don't think there's much ground for reading anything else into it.

I was in the mood for new Who last night and so I watched the wonderful Gridlock, which just gets better each time I watch it and The Lazarus Experiment, which probably isn't quite as good as I thought at the time, but was still very enjoyable.
    Both of them had fabulous music though.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Oh and I forgot to mention, we had my Nephew round for tea on Saturday evening, and he wanted to watch Doctor Who with us, so on his choice (after a near brush with Kroll!) we watched parts 1 and 2 of Destiny of the Daleks.
    He loved it! He thought Romana's regeneration was really funny (the Doctor's "Not today, thank you" to the "sexy" Romana made him giggle), thought the end of Part 2 was quite scary and he loved the bit where the Daleks smashed through the wall. "This Doctor is quite funny," he said.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Okay, there's a quick scene where she's in his house and walks in and she's in a bathrobe and her hair is wet as if she had just come out of the shower and he's there
    It's a boarding house!!! And surely the fact that he's dressed and downstairs and she's just got up suggests they didn't share a room.

And the story (and in fact the scene) goes to great lengths to emphasise the somewhat conservative and old fashioned (by todays standards) attitudes of the time... so it's unlikely the landlady would have allowed Ace and Mike to share a room.

Si.

...They always find a way...lol

I think it's far more likely that Ace shared a room with Shal Yung (sp?) in Battlefield.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I think some people have been reading too many New Adventures...

I think some people wrote too many New Adventures!

We've been rewatching bits of season 3 on BBC Three recently, in most cases watching the episodes for only the second time (tt, and I call myself a fan!). Family of Blood tonight, which we greatly enjoyed. One thing that I'd either never noticed before, or had forgotten, was Tim's reply to being called a coward - he says "Absolutely, every time" which is (I think) what the ninth Doctor says in TPOTW.

Tomorrow, it's Si & Rob's all-time fave rave, Blink.