Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

We've started "Doctor Who and The Revelation of The Daleks".

It's got snow, it's got gold sets, it's got horrid murders and violence, what could be more christmassy?

Yup, Ninth says that.

Ten, a coward?...umm, no. lol If Nine couldn't bring himself to wipe out the Daleks the second time, and Ten just blazingly wiped out the Racnos and her children....

AND let's not forget what he DID to the FAMILY OF BLOOD at the end of the episode.

Ten is no coward, he is ruthless.

Wayne Guest

I don't mind ruthless, but he doesn't have to be so smug & gobby about it.

Be that as it may, I still enjoyed his impression of Eric Morecambe when he's pointing out the ship's about to blow up!!

Had 20 minutes to fill last night, so finally got round to transferring 'Time Crash' from my hard-drive to dvd-r. I'd recorded it at the highest setting, so now when played back through my PS3 (upscaled) it looks fantastic! Looks the same quality as a commercially released dvd (with constant bitrate of 9.2mb/s upwards) to my eyes.

A bloomin' enjoyable 6-7 minutes viewing too!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

Looks the same quality as a commercially released dvd (with constant bitrate of 9.2mb/s upwards
    You could probably lose a few MB off that and you'd see little difference, given that BBC1 doesn't broadcast at 9.2mb/s.

Last night we took a break from our final Who Backwards watch (just three more to go!) and watched K9 and Company. It's rubbish, but it's likeable rubbish. We feel we know a lot more than we should about early 80s Market Gardening, we liked Sarah's constant clothes changes (especially the versatile number she starts off in) and Juno Baker is simply delicious!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

My favourite number of hers in that is the amazing vile Japanese Dressing Gown trouser suit thing. I bet you'd get arrested for owning it today!

Si.

More season 3 repeats on BBC Three, with The Sound of Drums last night. We only caught the second half, and I must say that the scenes with the three heroes walking through the streets trying not to be seen, are very powerful. The Doctor being aged is still very unpleasant to watch.

We finished "Revelation of the Daleks". Colin is so Doctory, that's what struck me! It's a crying shame that the word "Blackpool" was left frozen on his lips, and all those plans for Ice Warriors, Celestial Toymaker and Autons went into the bin. It would have been a bombastic, tacky and loud season of course, but it was 1985 for Gods sake! Everything was like that back then! I still lament what we could have had.

Si.

More season 3 repeats on BBC Three, with The Sound of Drums last night. We only caught the second half, and I must say that the scenes with the three heroes walking through the streets trying not to be seen, are very powerful. The Doctor being aged is still very unpleasant to watch.
    I think the ending of that episode was just toooo nasty. Kind of spoilt it for me.

I still lament what we could have had.
    Who knows? We could still have Colin as the Doctor today.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Paul forced me at gunpoint to watch Dimensions In Time on Friday night. I'd somehow missed it when it was originally on, and despite it's reputation thought it'd be fun. And well, it sort of is, even if the plot is madness, but I can't help but think with the cast they managed to assemble it was a bit of a missed opportunity...I wanted to see Phil and Grant get in to a fight with a Cyberman too...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

Did he show you the extras?

He didn't, but I shall no doubt watch them one day, for Jody's sake we didn't over do it on Who that night.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    We finished "Revelation of the Daleks". Colin is so Doctory, that's what struck me! It's a crying shame that the word "Blackpool" was left frozen on his lips, and all those plans for Ice Warriors, Celestial Toymaker and Autons went into the bin. It would have been a bombastic, tacky and loud season of course, but it was 1985 for Gods sake! Everything was like that back then! I still lament what we could have had.

Si.
    The more I think about this the less I think it was a shame. It would have been the most anal, fanwanky, Levine-stenched season ever. And the Celestial Toymaker was hardly a roaring success in his first outing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

Si.
    *Holds Si and pats him on the back*

I know sweetie, I know...

This morning I went quite mad and watched parts 3 AND 4 of "Logopolis" (to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, he dies in the end). Still love it, particularly the scenes in part 3 as things start to build towards the climax. I also still love the fact that, with its references back to CVEs, it gives the series a sense of unity, and a sense of being one larger story. Of the classic series, season 18 is probably the only one to do this, which with the modern-day Who we kind of take for granted.

I watched The Unquiet Dead this morning while I was wrapping someones Christmas presents. It was great!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Oh, good choice, it's very Christmassy. I love that goodbye scene, don't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    This morning I went quite mad and watched parts 3 AND 4 of "Logopolis" (to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, he dies in the end). Still love it, particularly the scenes in part 3 as things start to build towards the climax. I also still love the fact that, with its references back to CVEs, it gives the series a sense of unity, and a sense of being one larger story. Of the classic series, season 18 is probably the only one to do this, which with the modern-day Who we kind of take for granted.
    Well there's the (admittedly overdone) Master theme of season 8. The Metebelis 3 thread running through season 10. AND it pops up again a year later in Season 11, a season which also involves some development with Mike Yates over a couple of different stories (which also harks back to the end of the previous year). Then there's the whole hopping about via transmat beam and eventually ending up back where they started (almost) shenanigans of Season 12. Season 16 - Key to Time. Season 20 - pretty much all the stories. Season 23 obviously

In fact I'd say they all do it better than, for example, the words "Bad Wolf" popping up all the time in random and obscure places which only the observant would notice, only for the big reveal at the end to be that Rose just decides this is her name (?!).

You may well be right, certainly about season 23 and the KTT. Not sure about season 8 though - it doesn't build up to a huge climax, it just gets to the last episode and UNIT manages to catch him.

Elsewhen, in the wee small hours of Christmas Eve (or the very start of Christmas Day) I watched the Paul McGann TV Movie, for the first time in ages. I think Si & Rob's banners made me do it!!! But I really enjoyed it - it doesn't have a lot of laughs in it, unlike the new series, but it's not trying to be the same type of show. It's well made though, and the leads are all very watchable. And the music is just gorgeous.

And last night, obviously, I watched Voyage of the Damned.

I managed to watch my first old Who in about 8 months last night - continuing my marathon which began some 2 years ago now with Terminus!

Pip Madeley Guest

Terminus!
    Why, just... why?

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Why, just... why?
    Because it comes after Mawdryn Undead which was the last one I watched! I actually only just made it to the end of part 3 before drifting off, so I shall do part 4 today!

I've just finished watching The Runaway Bride on BBC 1. It's not a bad special but Donna still gets on my nerves.