Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Who Repeats on the Telly

The place to post when there's any original series repeats...

MONDAY 27 NOVEMBER
    The Ark In Space (episodes 1-2)
    7.10-8.00pm on BBC4

SATURDAY 02 DECEMBER
    The Sea Devils
    6.00-9.00am on UKGold
    7.00-10.00am on UKGold+1

SUNDAY 03 DECEMBER
    Doctor Who and the Silurians
    6.05-9.10am
    7.05-10.10am on UKGold+1

MONDAY 04 DECEMBER
    The Ark In Space (episodes 3-4)
    7.10-8.00pm on BBC4

SATURDAY 09 DECEMBER
    The Green Death
    6.00-9.00am on UKGold
    7.00-10.00am on UKGold+1

SUNDAY 10 DECEMBER
    The Sea Devils
    6.00-9.00am on UKGold
    7.00-10.00am on UKGold+1

I remember when the UK Gold repeats were the big thing, and, for many of us, myself included, it was the first time we got to see many of those classic stories, even if it was a videotaped compilation courtesy of a friend or relative. Ah, those were the days!

God, it's so boring having access these days to every story ever made, in one form or another, isn't it!?

It's a shame that the BBC Four repeats appear to be ending after 'The Ark In Space'. I think it would be great if it could become a regular thing, whether as a complete run, or random stories.
    Last edited by Dave Tudor; 28th Nov 2006 at 6:45 PM.

I especially liked the UK Gold repeats of the existing Hartnell and Troughton stories. I hadn't seen all of them at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I especially liked the UK Gold repeats of the existing Hartnell and Troughton stories. I hadn't seen all of them at the time.
    I taped several Hartnell stories and a few others off UK Gold back in the days when I first got Sky in the mid 90's they were bloody awful recordings but at the time it was all we had..

Pip Madeley Guest

[nostalgia]

The UKGold days were magical for me, because as an eleven year old, having got into the show through the TV movie, they were my main source of Who - many of the videos were either deleted or just too expensive for me. The first few stories I saw were Death To The Daleks, The Monster of Peladon and Planet of the Spiders (that's the reason I rather like Monster when most hate it). They were late night showings, my grandma has satellite so she timered them for me. Happy days. Then we got Sky at home and UKGold started running the Tom Baker stories (Robot-Sun Makers), one episode a weeknight at 7.20pm. They were really magical times, coming home from school, taping the episodes (long play VHS) & building my collection. Our signal was a bit crap, in those days of analogue satellite, so if it rained badly lots of sparkles would invade the screen. Some nights it was like watching a snow storm, but it was worth it. Then in 1998/9 they showed the b/w stories... I've got very warm nostalgic memories of staying up late on Friday night, equipped with a pint of milk and a bag of cookies from Sainsburys, staying up till 3am watching these amazing old episodes I never thought I'd get to see... magical is the word.

Except for The Web Planet. I fell asleep during episode 3, so the tape had adverts intact. Those were the days.

[/nostalgia]

I've still got all the tapes. I just can't find the heart to throw them. I may even save a few for old time's sake.

Captain Tancredi Guest

It's a shame there isn't a satellite broadcaster just doing the straightforward thing and showing either all the complete stories or everything which exists complete in colour- you could have a very acceptable abbreviated Pertwee era before going into 'Robot'. 'Who' has been tried in late night and weekend morning slots and can work in both, and the added bonus is that because a complete run lasts so long, the rights for 2 or 3 showings will last for years.

The Green Death was on yesterday or Saturday. This weekend certainly. Are they really showing it again?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

They must have a few leftover showing rights left...

Perhaps the new series features the return of The BOSS!

Stephens... process him!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I do remember that Doctor Who on Uk Gold used to be all most in a time loop they would start off Spearhead From Space and show every story right through to Survival. Then they would start all over again with Spearhead from Space going through till Survival this was pretty much the pattern up untill a year or so ago when they lost the rights to show them. Though I think they did lose the rights to show ant Dalek stories some while ago..

I do remember that Doctor Who on Uk Gold used to be all most in a time loop they would start off Spearhead From Space and show every story right through to Survival. Then they would start all over again with Spearhead from Space going through till Survival this was pretty much the pattern up untill a year or so ago when they lost the rights to show them. Though I think they did lose the rights to show ant Dalek stories some while ago..
    And of course their version of Daemons was black and white for a couple of episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    And of course their version of Daemons was black and white for a couple of episodes.

in fact I think there might even have been a few other Pertwee episodes that had been coloured when released on video that were shown in black and white. Also the picture quality of the episodes on UK Gold was for the most pretty ropey and even worse quality then the video version.

Pip Madeley Guest

This thread's a bit superfluous now that the PS news page takes in all Doctor Who broadcast info...

I learnt that word 'superfluous' from Doctor Who, you know. Does anyone know which episode? Answers on a postcard please, the winner gets a Custom Title*.

*but then again, maybe not

I don't even know wghat the word means..

"More than is required".

Interesting to note that the Christmas Invasion repeat on Sunday 17th will be the first Who repeat of any sort on BBC1 since Planet of the Daleks exactly 13 years ago...

Pip Madeley Guest

BBC Four has scheduled a repeat of episode 1 of The Web of Fear on Sunday, 18th March. It will be shown from 8.35pm-9.00pm, as part of an evening of programmes themed around the London Underground.

Yeti-tastic

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    This thread's a bit superfluous now that the PS news page takes in all Doctor Who broadcast info...
    What happened to the Doctor Who News page on the main site? It's seemed to have just vanished from the site...
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Pip Madeley Guest

Ant's free time has evapourated due to uni, so he's not been able to find time to update it, so we removed it. It may return in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    Ant's free time has evapourated due to uni, so he's not been able to find time to update it, so we removed it. It may return in the future.
    a student actualy spending his whole day studying and no free time now that's got to be a first..

Just watched "The web of fear" on BBC4, as part of 'London Underground' night. Great to see, as always.

That bit in part five was great...ha, only kidding; they only showed part one (obviously!)
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    a student actualy spending his whole day studying and no free time now that's got to be a first..
    not if he's aiming to get a first

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Pip Madeley Guest

Hurrah - old Who repeats are back on telly!

Doctor Who
    Weekdays, 5pm (from Wednesday 2nd January)

Before David Tennant came along, Doctor Who fans were unanimous in their opinion that Tom Baker was the best of all the Timelords. In a special Doctor Who weekend, UKTV Drama is presenting every episode starring Baker. He became the fourth Doctor in 1974, and was an instant hit with viewers, with his multicoloured scarf and faithful robot dog K-9. Baker’s edgy portrayal of the Timelord saw the Doctor take on new foes as well as old ones and propel the show into its first golden period.

During his seven-year tenure, Baker’s Doctor took on the Daleks, and new races such as the Sontarans, Zygons, Rutans and the Black and White Guardians. There were trips to E-Space, ancient Egyptian mummy tombs and the sands of Mars, and, for the first time, the Doctor’s home planet of Gallifrey was revealed…
    Bit of confusion there, one minute it says weekdays, then weekends... I think what they're trying to stay is that every weekday at 5pm from Wednesday 2nd January, UKTV Drama are showing Fourth Doctor episodes. I'm guessing they'll probably show 2 episodes a day (that's what they did on UKGold a few years a go, in an hour slot).

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Bit of confusion there, one minute it says weekdays, then weekends...
    Quite- by my reckoning (excluding oddballs like Planet of the Spiders 6 and Castrovalva 1), Tom starred in 172 episodes (2 seasons of 20 episodes, 4 of 26 and 1 of 28). Assuming that a 25-minute episode fills a half-hour slot, that would take up 86 hours. Most people's weekends only last 48 hours (although I suppose you can argue that you can add another 6 on for Friday evening, that still doesn't get you very far).

It'd be a nice thought for a cold, wet January weekend in, though.

Pip Madeley Guest

More info about the forthcoming 4th Doctor repeats, and the good news is, they're episodic!

WEDNESDAY 2 JANUARY 2008
    Robot - Part One
    12.20-12.55pm and 5.00-5.35pm on UKTVDrama

THURSDAY 3 JANUARY 2008
    Robot - Part Two

FRIDAY 4 JANUARY 2008
    Robot - Part Three

SATURDAY 5 JANUARY 2008
    Robot (omnibus)
    11.15pm-1.35am on UKTVDrama

SUNDAY 6 JANUARY 2008
    Robot (omnibus)
    8.00am-10.40am on UKTVDrama

MONDAY 7 JANUARY 2008
    Robot - Part Four

TUESDAY 8 JANUARY 2008
    The Ark In Space - Part One

WEDNESDAY 9 JANUARY 2008
    The Ark In Space - Part Two

THURSDAY 10 JANUARY 2008
    The Ark In Space - Part Three

FRIDAY 11 JANUARY 2008
    The Ark In Space - Part Four

SATURDAY 12 JANUARY 2008
    The Ark In Space (omnibus)
    11.35pm-1.55am on UKTVDrama

SUNDAY 13 JANUARY 2008
    The Ark In Space (omnibus)

MONDAY 14 JANUARY 2008
    The Sontaran Experiment - Part One

TUESDAY 15 JANUARY 2008
    The Sontaran Experiment - Part Two

WEDNESDAY 16 JANUARY 2008
    Revenge of the Cybermen - Part One

THURSDAY 17 JANUARY 2008
    Revenge of the Cybermen - Part Two

FRIDAY 18 JANUARY 2008
    Revenge of the Cybermen - Part Three

SATURDAY 19 JANUARY 2008
    Revenge of the Cybermen (omnibus)

SUNDAY 20 JANUARY 2008
    Revenge of the Cybermen (omnibus)

MONDAY 21 JANUARY 2008
    Revenge of the Cybermen - Part Four

TUESDAY 22 JANUARY 2008
    Terror of the Zygons - Part One

WEDNESDAY 23 JANUARY 2008
    Terror of the Zygons - Part Two

THURSDAY 24 JANUARY 2008
    Terror of the Zygons - Part Three

FRIDAY 25 JANUARY 2008
    Terror of the Zygons - Part Four

SATURDAY 26 JANUARY 2008
    Terror of the Zygons (omnibus)

SUNDAY 27 JANUARY 2008
    Terror of the Zygons (omnibus)

MONDAY 28 JANUARY 2008
    Planet of Evil - Part One

TUESDAY 29 JANUARY 2008
    Planet of Evil - Part Two

WEDNESDAY 30 JANUARY 2008
    Planet of Evil - Part Three

Don't forget UKTVDrama+1 show everything an hour later. The 'omnibuses' on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings aren't actual omnibuses like UKGold used to show, they're just the episodes back to back, including credits. Woo! So, plenty of chances to catch that one if you wanted to! Of course, this isn't as exciting at the moment given most of season 12 is out on DVD, but it'll be good when they get to 'Revenge' and 'Terror' for example. They're not showing 'Genesis of the Daleks' because Terry Nation's estate are money-grabbing sods.

Nice to see all this stuff going on, and that there's still an audience for it all.
    I haven't watched any Who on UK Gold since, ooohhhh, what, 1992, and probably won't be watching any of these repeats.

It's nice to see Pip dragging out some of his old UK Gold stuff, seeing it has brought back memories of how UK Gold used to be, a nice bit of nostalgia there, the channel has changed a lot since those early days and has conformed to the modern way of presenting with no ad caps but crashes straight into ads with no warning. I recently tried to watch the Generation Game revival but gave up after the first edition. Don't like it at all. How I long for the old way of presenting, thank God for DVDs.