Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

None of those poncy cheques here mate we deal in hard cash - give us your dollars!

In fact soon we'll have enough "to cut the bread as thick as a door"....

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Personally, there are a few John Wayne's that I think make the grade when they're not the 'shoot the Indians, let the white folk rule ' kind - definitely True Grit (but not Rooster Cogburn), The Searchers, El Dorado and The Shootist.
    I spoke to my Dad on the phone earlier. He confirms he has those 4 John Wayne films, & i'll be able to borrow them (& probably a few more) next week. Anyone who'd like to 'borrow' them from me for the purposes of this thread, feel free to PM me. Obviously the threadmaster will get his first.

I'll repeat one of Paul's recommendations... The Outlaw Josie Wales is a top western.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I Obviously the threadmaster will get his first.

thank you kindly my good fellow

WhiteCrow Guest

To me "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" is not just a Western, it is THE Western.

Interesting to see "Bad Day At Black Rock" up there, because in some ways it is, and others it isn't. But it is a powerhouse of a film.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Interesting to see "Bad Day At Black Rock" up there, because in some ways it is, and others it isn't. But it is a powerhouse of a film.
    I remember really enjoying it first time I sought it - very watchable

As for the one you call "The Western" - I can't argue with that

Wayne Guest

I'm not overkeen on 'The Good the Bad & Ugly' in comparison with 'A Fistful of Dollars & 'For a Few Dollars More'. It goes on a bit. My fave is 'For a Few Dollars More'.

I'm not overkeen on 'The Good the Bad & Ugly' in comparison with 'A Fistful of Dollars & 'For a Few Dollars More'. It goes on a bit. My fave is 'For a Few Dollars More'.
    I agree with Wayne - I'd choose FAFDM over any of them.

(I don't think I've ever made it through TGTBTU without falling asleep at some point )
    Bazinga !

Well so far I propose this as the initial list of Westerns for the thread

The Searchers (1956)
    The Tin Star (1957)
    Warlock (1959)
    Rio Bravo (1959)
    The Alamo (1960)
    A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
    For a Few Dollars More (1965)
    Sons of Katie Elder (1965)
    The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    El Dorado (1967)
    Once Upon A Time In The West (1968)
    Death Rides a Horse (1968)
    Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969)
    Rio Lobo (1970)
    A Fistful of Dynamite (1971)
    High Plains Drifter (1973)
    The Shootist (1976)
    Pale Rider (1985)
    Dances With Wolves (1990)
    Unforgiven (1992)

Wayne Guest

Looking good Sheriff Mitchell.
    I'm looking forward to hitting the trail.

I think it's more fun being a bounty hunter, better to be doing the shooting than be the target

Wayne Guest

* drawls......

yeahhh, i guess you're right.

*slugs

Hey pardner have you noticed my avatar's switching fairly rapidly these days - I'll be interchanging beteen various ones I prepared earlier...

Meantime gotta get my rest I've got a heavy ride in the morning (down Tim!)

I never even thought of saying anything.

I think putting Dances With Wolves on that list is a mistake. It's crap!

Well if "Dancing" is poor then it'll give us something to rank near the bottom - you know how Wayne loves to rank. Also I think it's a good idea to have some different styles to see the contrast

Oh and today's avatar is Richard Widmark who I didn't realise is still with us

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    ...you know how Wayne loves to rank.
    Oh yes, he's a serial ranker.

I agree it's good to have something to base as poor, but it's coming in right at the end, it'll be a bad memory to leave people with.
    Of course as for a modern 'western' there's always Brokeback Mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Of course as for a modern 'western' there's always Brokeback Mountain?
    I'm not sure John Wayne would approve of that choice

Unforgiven is a good un to close on though for sure!

Wayne Guest

I like 'Dances With Wolves', myself.
    More modern ones i got off my Dad the other day are: 'Last of the Mohicans' 'Tombstone', 'Wyatt Earp', 'Open Range' & 'The Quick and the Dead'. They are available for inclusion if required.

When I mentioned modern I was kind of talking about films set in recent times rather than made recently. I'll get me coat.

I hope fans of Westerns will appreciate my avatar today featuring Walter Brennan a character actor who seems to surface in many a Western to add a touch of whatever an old boy does in these things

Well my copy of this one arrived today so I was keen to get the wheels moving and make a start on this thread.

Tin Star (1957)

"Veteran bounty-hunter Morg Hickman (Henry Fonda) rides into a town in danger. The sheriff has been killed, and young inexperienced Ben Owens (Anthony Perkins) named a temporary replacement until a permanent can be found. Ben wants to be that permanent replacement, so needs to impress the townspeople with his skill. When he finds that Morg was a sheriff for a long time before he became a bounty-hunter, he asks the older man to teach him. Morg thinks that being a sheriff is a foolish goal, but agrees to instruct Ben in handling people, more important to a sheriff than handling a gun."

I chose this movie to include in the selection as it stars Henry Fonda and having seen his performance in “Once Upon A Time In The West” I wanted to check out how his style had changed from traditional to the gritty Italian style. Plus it has Lee Van Cleef before he hit the big time and demonstrates how he was used in earlier Westerns and this gives again the contrast to when his talents were tapped into.

I reckon for Westerns it’s a good place to kick off as Fonda shows Perkin’s rookie Sheriff the ropes and so it gives the feel of the traditional western but with an examination of the role of the Sheriff and what the townsfolk expect of him.

I liked Fonda’s characterisation here and it’s pretty much to the usual style expected of him.

It’s in black & white which I hadn’t actually realised so in that aspect it’s further contrast again with the more expensive westerns where full advantage is taken of the beautiful scenery on show. It feels a bit like a Western on a tight budget perhaps mainly because of this factor. I think the scenery and photography can have a large impact on what help makes a great Western.

Soundtrack wise it’s essentially bog standard Hollywood fayre – it’s there to add elements of mood but not really making any impact.

Another thing I'd say it didn't feel "dangerous" but fairly tame, a cosy Western if you like - the shooting felt a bit slow not much slick pistolwork.

Overall I’d give it 6/10 as a competent routine Western
    Last edited by Ralph; 14th Dec 2007 at 12:18 AM.

Wayne Guest

I shall look forward to checking out 'Tin Star', but whilst i'm waiting for the postman to arrive i've just spotted that there's a good Western on BBC1 at 11.45 tomorrow night.
    'A Man Called Horse' starring Richard Harris. I've got an old off air video recording of it from many moons ago, so i'll look forward to checking it out again, & with a bit of luck grabbing a nice digital recording.

Yes the postman should be delivering a batch very soon and a further dispatch including Tin Star will follow Monday.

As I recall A Man Called Horse has some painful moments!

Eagle claw moments aren't they? Ow!

I shall look forward to checking out 'Tin Star', but whilst i'm waiting for the postman to arrive i've just spotted that there's a good Western on BBC1 at 11.45 tomorrow night.
    'A Man Called Horse' starring Richard Harris. I've got an old off air video recording of it from many moons ago, so i'll look forward to checking it out again, & with a bit of luck grabbing a nice digital recording.
    Perfect timing for me, reading that. Only a few minutes till it's on, then...I haven't seen that one for a long time.