Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I've not done any preparations yet, bar buying some cards! It'll be an unorthodox Christmas this year, because for the fourth time in my life and the first for 28 years, I will not be spending it in the UK! I'm going to France with my sister and her partner to visit our parents - making it our first Christmas with them for six years after they moved out there 5 years ago. We've both managed to get time off work and are going there on Sat 22nd and back on Thurs 27th.

Mum has told us not to bring presents with us due to weight limits etc. on travelling and that they will not give us any for the same reason. I expect they'll give us money as they have done since they moved there, and we'll have a chance to get things like flowers, booze and so on when we get there. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to take them out for a meal.

The nice thing about it is that it gives us a chance to get away from the crass, commercial feel of Christmas and spend quality time with family, which is surely what it should be all about?

I'll still put up my decorations next weekend - this weekend feels too early still. And I'll get started on writing the cards soon, and that should be me done!

Do wise, I may be going to the rail industry one this Wednesday (though I won't know for sure until tomorrow or even Tuesday!) but I'm looking forward more to our office do the following Wednesday - exactly one week before Christmas!

Wayne Guest

I've now accepted that xmas is approaching. I spent most of today visiting my home town of Mansfield delivering cards to various Aunts & Uncles & Cousins & the like. And i went to visit my Grandad in the Nursing Home. He seems ok. Well as ok as it gets when you're 91 have to get around on a zimmer. At least it's got wheels.

Pip Madeley Guest

I've accepted it too - I've just been writing some cards out, and wrapping some presents for certain people who shall remain unnamed. Going to order a couple of presents for my best mates tomorrow, hopefully they'll arrive for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    . He seems ok. Well as ok as it gets when you're 91 have to get around on a zimmer. At least it's got wheels.
    my dad's 87, and he's pretty much the same shuffling around on a zimmer too...

any way i've only got a couple of days of work left then i break up fror christmas.

Hooray! It's Christmas stories for the kids and coffee and mince pies for the adults day at Birch Hill library today.
    I have my Father Christmas hat ready!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I've now accepted that xmas is approaching. I spent most of today visiting my home town of Mansfield delivering cards to various Aunts & Uncles & Cousins & the like. And i went to visit my Grandad in the Nursing Home. He seems ok. Well as ok as it gets when you're 91 have to get around on a zimmer. At least it's got wheels.
    You're organised early - I've still got stacks of work to sort so I don't feel Christmassy at all yet - baaa humbug

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    You're organised early - I've still got stacks of work to sort so I don't feel Christmassy at all yet - baaa humbug
    Well the most christmassy thing in my flat is this Si Hunt's 'Christmas Gnomes' CD cover.
    Most people on here know by now that i don't really 'do' christmas. And the implication that you must be a miserable git if you don't, is bollocks. I consider myself a cheerful chap who tries to look on the bright side, & tries to be nice to/ok with folk. All year round. I just don't really do the whole christmas thing just because that's what you're supposed to do.
    I don't do xmas decorations & i don't do xmas cards. (except for some of my family) And the implication that you're a tight git if you don't, is bollocks. I consider myself a generous bloke. Both of spirit & of wallet. I'll buy anyone a pint, & i'll share anything i've got with my friends. All year round. But i don't do xmas decorations or cards because it's a bloody waste of money, & a waste of paper! There are people on here who have sent me cards, & i appreciate the gesture, but i'd still know that you're the type of people who'd want all their friends to have a nice time even if you didn't send me card. Just like i don't think any less of those who don't send cards, because i know that you're the same inside, where it counts. Like i am. So no-one will be getting a card off me, otherwise i'd have to send you all one every day, because wishing people well is not just for christmas.
    I know how it sounds, & i know some people don't get it, but that's how i feel about christmas. It's just a bollox religious based tradition that greedy capitalist wankers thrive on because all the prols are like millions of frenzied bison rampaging through the shops spending all their money 'coz that's what christmas is all about "innit". Embrace life all year round, not just at xmas! Life's too short for xmas!

*finished now, You can all stop rolling your eyes.

Edited to add: If you've got kids then you're off the hook, 'Coz if christmas is about anything, it should be for the kids.
    Last edited by Wayne; 18th Dec 2007 at 7:24 PM.

I reckon Wayne's up for playing Father Christmas in next year's PS Chrismas Audio Story!

Wayne Guest

Not unless i can play him like Jack Regan.

Wayne would SO get on well with my Dad!

Si.

Somewhat off topic, but I love Si's new 'odds&sods' banner - it's like an alternative version of The Five Doctors!!

I've got one Doctor he hasn't though.

Si.

Why thank you Andrew. It was all Steve's work of course, I can't take any of the credit. Somehow it sort of works despite the odd mixture of elements. I'm quite pleased that I suggested the backgorund though.

Anyway, back to Christmas.

Si xx

Rachel Stevens is ready for Christmas...

Doctor Who and Martha Jones are non-plussed.

Martha is jealous that she can't pull off the tinsel look like Rachel can, believe me I was there when she tried and it doesn't go with her granny panties and wide hips...

Rachel is the spirit pf Christmas.

WhiteCrow Guest

Hey if they did Kylie dolls, you can beat the merchendise stream by getting your Voyage of the Damned doll early.

Wayne Guest

Hurrah for Si Hunt's Dad!

What are you like Wayne

But I agree it's true what you say...

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    What are you like Wayne
    A cross between Jack Regan, Lemmy, & Fred Elliot? (And Mr Hunt senior)

well I'm now finished work and don't go back till jan 2nd..

Wayne Guest

There's one exception to my 'don't do xmas cards' thing.
    My ex g/f's mother in Holland still sends me a card every year. (We split up nearly 6yrs ago!) I keep waiting for her to stop sending 'em, but i haven't the heart not to send one back each year.

Our last shift was like racing for the finishing post after a marathon. They let us leave half an hour early, but what a long slog a hygiene shift was.
    Anyway, I'm feeling a bit more Christmassy now having been out for a drink this afternoon with Viv's friends, and generally having a good time.
    We've a big family get together tomorrow night in the loal pub/restaurant as a belated birthday bash, after which it's getting ready for the big day, although as we're spending that away this year the pressure will be off us for a change, but come Christmas Eve it will be all systems go as we're doing a big family lunch before we go. Come Boxing Day we'll be home and back to my mother for lunch. Hopefully after that we'll be able to unwind. Before all that though we have to face the shoppers as we do battle with the queues in our attempts to get the last minute presents. Knowing Viv it will be a BIG day out.

Enjoy the queues Stephen!

Well, I'm on my final shift before Christmas right now. It just so happens that tomorrow is my Saturday off and Monday is my day off. How lucky! Anyway no-one has been in to for 45 minutes. I'm reading the paper and Maggie is making us a cuppa!

We did the last Christmas Do last night- now we've just got the family things to do!

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Enjoy the queues Stephen!

Si xx
    I've told Viv I want to be out before 9 0-clock tomorrow morning, it will be hell getting a parking space, even in disabled areas, and blue badges make no difference while embattling other crazed shoppers. I will however observe with some amusement the queues in Argos and relish with an evil glee that we've bought nowt from them this year that will have to be sorted out come the day after Boxing Day.

Merry Christmas everyone! Im off till 7th Jan and intending to be a right lazy git

Have fun one and all xx