Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cloud (Slight Return) View Post
    Roger Taylor's finest song? (And I'm sure Freddie is down in the mix somewhere!) Had a feeling it was going to be all hits, but anyway:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzWHOsTwU4
    It was the middle eight that swung it for me!
    And I'm glad we have Flash consensus!

EDIT: Sorry! Radio Ga Ga is the best Roger Taylor song! Ok, ditch Drowse then and stick Under Pressure on!
    'Drowse' is a great song, as is Taylor's 'I'm In LOve With My Car', despite some very dodgy lyrics. My favourite Roger Taylor-penned song, though is Sheer Heart Attack's 'Tenement Funster', which is also one of my favourite Queen songs of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    'Drowse' is a great song, as is Taylor's 'I'm In LOve With My Car', despite some very dodgy lyrics. My favourite Roger Taylor-penned song, though is Sheer Heart Attack's 'Tenement Funster', which is also one of my favourite Queen songs of all.
    I love Tenement Funster as well.just for it's sheer simplicity. A very under-rated Queen song, imo.

As for my top 20 Best Of The Rest picks, it would have to look something like this (although it was a hard choice, given the great choice available)...

(In original album order)

Liar
    White Queen
    Brighton Rock
    Tenement Funster/Flick Of The Wrist/Lily Of The Valley (included as one choice purely for the purposes of cheating! - although I tend to lump them together all the time anyway)
    Death On Two Legs
    The Prophets Song
    You And I
    Drowse
    Spread Your Wings
    My Melancholy Blues
    Mustapha
    '39 (live)
    Need Your Loving Tonight
    The Hero
    Staying Power
    Keep Passing The Open Windows
    Princes Of The Universe
    Khasshoggi's Ship
    Ride The Wild Wind
    My Life Has Been Saved

I would add to that list "Jealousy", "Leavin' Home Ain't Easy" and "Millionaire's Waltz". Oh and I just love "Teo Torriate (Let Us Cling Together)", a great epic Queen ballad.

And how about "Delilah"! And "Is This The World We Created"?

Si.

Interesting choices! Must listen to some more of those, I know a few of them at least.

I like "Is This The World We Created".

But I LOVE "Love Of My Life" that he does on the nylon string guitar.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I did say that it was a hard choice, and apart from Delilah (a song which I only like rather than love) all of those mentioned by Si and Steve were on my shortlist.

That's the problem when trying to choose from quality stuff

Isn't it about that time again when someone suggests we should do a Queen Time Team ?
    Bazinga !

It's about that time of year again, right enough...

I'll start it! It'll give me a chance to finally get the couple of albums I still need (Queen 1 and Flash) to complete my collection! Just give me a week or so to buy Queen 1 and give it a listen.

Si.

DO IT, SI ! DO IT !!

Don't get too excited though - I'm away for a week and only have Q1 on vinyl (stop that giggling at the back there ) , so won't have time to listen to it til I get back
    Bazinga !

You would think "Queen" the album would be Ł2.99p somewhere, but amazingly I can't find it for less than a tenner! It's not even 1p on Amazon marketplace, which surely it should be.

Si.

A Queen Time Team? Hah! You probably won't even make it past Queen II.

*waits for Dave to review Pink Floyd - Animals*
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

How long since you visited the Pink Floyd thread, then?

Yeah, I'd be interested in a Queen Time Team, if I could find the time to fit it in!

And the winners are (according to play.com):

We Will Rock You (Brian May)
    We Are The Champions (Freddie Mercury)
    Radio Ga Ga (Roger Taylor)
    Another One Bites The Dust (John Deacon)
    I Want It All (Queen)
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Freddie Mercury)
    A Kind Of Magic (Roger Taylor)
    Under Pressure (Queen-David Bowie)
    One Vision (Queen)
    You're My Best Friend (John Deacon)
    Don't Stop Me Now (Freddie Mercury)
    Killer Queen (Freddie Mercury)
    These Are The Days Of Our Lives (Queen)
    Who Wants To Live Forever (Brian May)
    Seven Seas Of Rhye (Freddie Mercury)
    Heaven For Everyone (Roger Taylor)
    Somebody To Love (Freddie Mercury)
    I Want To Break Free (John Deacon)
    The Show Must Go On (Queen)
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury)

You can get a version with a bonus disc with commentary track or the 2 disc version in a fancy pants book type box thing.

Go nuts!

Nice cover - rare photo ahoy!

But they haven't left much room for the producers of the 2020 Greatest Hits name-wise. They'll have to call it "Absolute Final Best And Greatest Ultimate You'll Never-Need-Another-One-Honest-Guv Greatest Single Hits Of All Time Ever".

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

They can do what Genesis did and release THE PLATINUM COLLECTION.

Oh.

That's still not as great a collection as Queen Greatest Hits.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    That's still not as great a collection as Queen Greatest Hits.

Si xx
    Did "Innuendo" take up too much space on the CD?
    What with being one of their number ones/ one of the best things they've done etc...

I STILL want G/Hits 3 on DVD, no chance of that by the looks of this sad cash in. Talk about money and old rope, I'm really disappointed.

I'm really disappointed that Queen + Five didn't make it on there. 'Heaven for Everyone' really isn't the best song on Made In Heaven. And are there really no songs from 'The Cosmos Rocks'? SHOCKING!

The thing is, none of us here can look at this product without knowing it's the umpteeth cynical repackaging of the hits. But taken on its own, as an album, a set of songs, it's near bloody perfect. Sure, there are personal favourites we've all get - I'd probably have chosen "Save Me" over "Seven Seas of Rhye", but there's not much I could argue with on this album. Look at the strength of it - there's not a single duff track there. And any you could pick on quality-wise have to be there because they're so iconic - Champions, Rock You and so on. Also, this is arguably a better compilation than GH1 as if we're absolutely honest the newer Queen fan would be better off with crowdpleasers like "I Want To Break Free", "A Kind Of Magic" and "Radio Ga Ga" than "Now I'm Here" and "Play The Game".

It is, quite literally, the Best of Queen. And it's worth noting that this genuinely includes songs from 1973 and 1991 and most years in between.

Si.

I've just noticed that there's a rare chance to see Queen's legendary Christmas Eve 1974 concert from the Hammersmith Odeon tonight at 10.00 on BBC 4, if anyone's interested.

Popjustice on John and Edward's new Queen cover:

The ruthlessness of this arrangement is interesting in that when Journey were asked permission for Joe McElderry to release a rearranged version of 'Don't Stop Believin'', they declined. But when faced with something like THIS, Queen clearly just went, 'yeah, whatever'. As the music industry faces increasing financial trouble and bands look for new ways to make money, it's great to remember that the remaining members of Queen have been kicking their legacy and back catalogue to a bloody pulp for almost two decades. It seems nothing has been too shit to get the Queen seal of approval, and what they're cleverly doing here is devaluing the Queen brand very very thoroughly, but also very very slowly. It's an efficient, systematic taking apart of everything that was once actually great about Queen, the clear intention being that at the precise point when the final member of Queen dies of old age, there is nothing left for anybody else to exploit.
    So true!

Si.

Except that
    (a) Its been covered in the past - so really its a cover of Vanilla Ice's cover

(b) Its a Queen- David Bowie song, and TBH my least favourite song that always gets dragged onto Best of compilations purely on the basis that it did well commercially. To me, its always sounded a bit........sh1#.

So, IMO, they can do what they like to it, so long as they keep their cheesy untalented hands off the real Queen silverware.
    Bazinga !

Ker-ching!

Queen sign to Universal - New remasters in 2011

British band Queen has signed to Universal Music Group after nearly 40 years with EMI, and preparations are under way for the release of remastered versions of Queen's studio albums in 2011.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild