Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

£190 for a USB stick!

Si.

the main attraction lays in 2 DVDs
    Who wants yesterday's format?

For that money you could go and see half-a-dozen Queen tribute acts and have a much better time. Actually Si, would you fancy going to see a Queen tribute act at sometime in the future? I'm sure there are plenty about.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Oh yeah! That's a great idea!

Si.

Today is the 20th anniversary of Freddie's death.

It's hard to believe, isn't it? I can still remember the shock I felt when I picked up the newspaper the next morning and read the news then rushing home to see it on the news. Then Radio 1 playing Queen tracks all day in his memory, and some people wondering why they were playing so many Queen songs - was it because Freddie had announced he had AIDS? They weren't even aware at that point that he'd died, and were shocked when they were told. It was a sad day, and a really strange atmosphere at work each time a Queen song played...it's the only time I've really experienced something like that with the death of a celebrity.

Know how you feel there Kenny, I remember the day well too. I was on an afternoon shift and went up to see my mother in the morning, it only takes a few minutes from our house to theirs but by the time I'd arrived there it had been announced he'd died. I was stunned, and felt numb all day, it actually felt like the death of a relative and even now seems like just yesterday.
    His legacy still lives on though in the body of work he left behind, the music, the videos, the memories of all those who went to see him live, and let's face it he was the greatest showman I think our generation will ever see.
    I still miss him even though I never personally knew him.

I think it's probably hard for the younger generation to realise just what a big star Freddie was. I don't mean it bad in any way, because people of any age can love the music as much as, or possibly even more than, us dinosaurs. They can read as much information about his life, and watch documentaries, concerts, videos etc more easily nowadays than ever before...but still, if you aren't old enough to be a fan of his, or Queen, back in their heyday (not even a fan necessarily but simply knowing the hits and who sung them) it's hard to understand the impact of his death. As Steve says, the news of his death at the time was indeed stunning. It's the only time the death of someone I've never met made me feel like that, regardless of how big a fan I was. The closest equivalent from recent years for the fans and/or general public would be Micheal Jackson, I'd say.

Of course every celebrity death is sad and comes as a shock to the fans, but Freddie was one of only a handful I can remember which was news in a scale of its own. Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Freddie and Jackson were huge stories in a way that the equally sad deaths of such stars as Robert Palmer, Phil Lynnott, Gary Moore and numerous others weren't.

Freddie was one of the world's few true megastars, a showman others have tried to imitate but never equalled. He'll never be forgotten and today, the 20th anniversay of his death, is the perfect time for reflection. Queen were the first group I ever saw live back in 1984 and I treasure the memory...it will live with me forever. I'd just like to say thanks, Freddie, for a lifetime of musical memories and enjoyment...

WHO THE *** IS ADAM LAMBERT?!!!

OI! MAYYY! NNNAAAAOOOOO!!!!

(Tickets or annoucement later tonight at either 7 or 8PM.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    WHO THE *** IS ADAM LAMBERT?!!!
    He sings in place of Freddy Mercury.

If you can survive Enter Shakiri, Marilyn Manson, G'N'R, Faith No More, Korn, Evanescence and The Offspring*, then maybe you deserve Queen with Adam Lambert?

*Not to mention WOLFMOTHER!!!! SKRILLEX!!!! and SAXON!!!!!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

As David Tennant once said, "I don't want to go."

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

As Tom Baker once said "Not today thank you."

It depends on if you think ressurecting something lessens the effect of what it once was. "Another One Bites The Dust" won't evaporate when they play this gig, but it sounds like a recipe for an awful evening, and not fit to even be mentioned alongside Queen's heyday triumphs, which now seem a very, very long time ago.

Si.

IT GETS WORSE!!!!

Brian May defends American Idol loser, Adam Lambert:
    Queen guitarist Brian May has said he is sure that the band's live plans with American Idol runner-up Adam Lambert would get Freddie Mercury's seal of approval.

The band will headline this summer's Sonisphere festival with Lambert, topping a bill that includes Kiss, Faith No More, Evanescence, Incubus, The Darkness, Mastodon and Refused.

Speaking about the band's plan for the set and how he felt it would be received by the group's fans, May said: "Judging by my incoming mail, this decision will make a lot of people very happy. It's a worthy challenge for us, and I'm sure Adam would meet with Freddie's approval! And what better place to revisit, and walk those emotional paths than Knebworth? It will be a rush."
    Wouldn't Wembley Stadium be a better place?

Lambert himself also spoke about the show and said he hoped to "pay respects to Freddie's memory" as well as achieving a huge personal milestone.

He said of this: "I'm completely in awe of the Queen phenomenon. The thought of sharing the stage for a full set is so beautifully surreal. I'm honoured to be able to pay my respects to Freddie's memory. He's a personal hero of mine and I am deeply grateful for the chance to sing such powerful music for fans of this legendary band. I know the evening will be a huge milestone for me, and with the support of Brian, Roger and the rest of the band I know magic will be on display."
    John Deacon - having a rest.

And probably quietly appalled.

Si.

http://www.nme.com/news/queen/62377

Sonisphere festival organiser Stuart Galbraith has spoken about booking Queen and Adam Lambert for this summer's event and has warned fans that if "they are looking for a Freddie Mercury show, then they aren't going to get it."
    Get out! Really?

I'm getting a refund, I assumed he'd somehow be there.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I'm getting a refund, I assumed he'd somehow be there.

Si.
    He would be if they pinched the Elvis Presley tour idea. And at least if they went down that route, tacky as it may be, they'd have half a chance of genuinely calling themselves 'Queen' again,particularly if they got John Deacon back on board. Anything May and Taylor do under the 'Queen' banner is sorely missing something with the absence of Deacon.

For anyone curious, here's a clip of their performance at MTV's EMA Awards 2011

Queen & Adam Lambert

Disappointing news for those of you looking forward to this landmark collaboration:

Sonisphere cancelled

Rock festival Sonisphere has been cancelled, organisers have confirmed.

A web statement said they had fought hard to keep it going but that "a very challenging year" meant the event wouldn't have satisfied fans and the artists.

The event was to take place at Knebworth Park, Stevenage on 6-8 July.

Adam Lambert was due to headline on Saturday with members of Queen. Ticket holders will receive a full refund direct from their ticket agent.
    John Deacon was unavailable for comment.

But why was it cancelled!? I'm bored and want gossip, dammit!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Well the implication seems to be that it was down to the financial crisis, but that seems very convenient, as well as not telling us very much - it's easy to blame anything on the financial crisis these days. Perhaps they didn't get the ticket sales they expected, which is not surprising, really. Even as a rock fan myself, I wouldn't say that that was the most enticing of line-ups. I guess, though, more details will emerge eventually.

http://sonisphere.co.uk/news/sonisph...-is-cancelled/
    Unfortunately circumstances have dictated that we would be unable to run the festival to a standard that both the artists and that Sonisphere’s audience would rightly expect.
    No! They should have gone ahead and run a shabby festival! A few tiny speakers, no security so people could just jump on stage and mob the bands, catering provided by three hotdog stalls, Andrew Beech in charge of scheduling....

Word on the Google is that it was down to poor ticket sales. Perhaps they were too expensive? £145 - £180 for a weekend.

Well, I wouldn't pay that much for that line-up!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    Well, I wouldn't pay that much for that line-up!
    Queen's problem is that to get people to pay those sort of prices the need to get a headlining name to sing with them. However, as the Freddie Memorial Concert in 1992 proved, even the biggest names on the planet struggled with the songs. Of course, there could be a singer out there who could be Freddie's equal who could also have youth on his side, but he would be someone we've nevere heard of...you'd really be looking at cheap ticket prices rather than headliner prices for a new guy to have any chance of success. But that's the dilemma Queen find themselves in, isn't it?

And speaking of Queen, it's been quite a long time since anyone mentioned the oft-talked about Queen Time Team.

I think it's about time we all got off our collective arses and actually did something about it. I know there are several Queen fans here, and surely there must be a few who are interested in exploring the groups history given the chance. Who's up for it? Let's just do it...It's now or never. We've talked about it for the past 5 years but it never seems to happen.

First question: Who's up for it?
    Second question: Exactly what do we include? All studio/official live albums obviously, but regarding solo/+Paul Rogers albums etc...?