Default Christmas Specials. What if?

It seems these days that Doctor Who Christmas Specials are a fixture of Christmas Day, we all look forward to, and enjoy what it has to offer. But I was thinking, the original series only had one episode fall on Christmas Day, The Feast of Steven back in the days of Hartnell in 1965. What if the original series had had regular Christmas specials too, would the production team have pulled out all the stops and given us an epic featuring Daleks or some other mighty enemy to scare us all on Christmas Day? Would it have featured killer Santa's and living Christmas trees? What kind of special would we have got for each subsequent Doctor? The questions are endless. Maybe my fellow posters can come up with some ideas the production teams of the day might have found acceptable.

I think only JN-T would have been interested in doing such things, and he'd probably have done them very much like the current lot.

A Season 7 Christmas Special would have been great! Lots of cold, wet location footage as the Brigadier orders a small village evacuated on Christmas Eve, with a Christmas environmental disaster caused due to mankind's stupidity and stubborness. "You hear that, Brigadier? That's the sound of the Spirit of Christmas, screaming out its rage!!"
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'd like to have (predictably) seen a William's era Christmas Romp. It'd be camp, full of sparkle and probably would have featured Tom and Lalla exchaning Christmas gifts with a knowing wink at the audience. K9 would sing carols, and it would have been a feelgood classic.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

You mean K9 sings "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"?

What with Christmas being a time for party-games, I think the obvious one would have been a rematch for Hartnell with the Celestial Toymaker - terrifying games of charades, pass the exploding parcel, it practically writes itself.

Alternatively, some kind of variation of A Christmas Carol might have been interesting (yes, I know TOATL kinda got there already). In fact (really entering fantasy territory here) it would have been cool if they could have done such a tale when Davison was the Doctor (say at Christmas 1984) with a 'Christmas Past' section featuring the return of Tom (or Shada footage I suppose) and a 'Christmas Yet To Come' section featuring incoming Doctor Colin Baker.

Or, failing that, A Christmas Carol with the dark Seventh Doctor being the one behind it all, organising the visitations of the spirits on some poor soul.

I feel that I ought to apologise to Steve for inadvertantly killing this thread stone dead!

No worries Andrew, seems it's had it's day anyway.

I can imagine an early 70s Christmas special with Jo Grant terribly excited about Christmas.

"Oh Doctor - isn't it super?"

"Isn't what super?"

"Santa Claus is coming tomorrow."

"Santa Claus doesn't exist, Jo. He's just a myth, a legend. There's no such thing as magic."

(Jo runs off crying)
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

@ Lissa. That's all too convincing!

Imagine if the PS audios made a Christmas special. Who knows what that might be like...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

It'd probably rape Milky's Santa's-bulging-sack'hood by being piss-poor and too wide. 0/10

I was totally delighted with the Christmas Omnibus special, The Sea Devils in Christmas '73 - it was the first time I'd seen more than 25 minutes of DW in one go - I just can't tell you how excited I was about it!

Wayne Guest

Oddly i have no specific memory of xmas repeats, other than 'Genesis of the Daleks' which i watched at my Aunt & Uncle's house. That was exciting enough in itself at the time.

Thats the only one I saw Wayne - I found it was easy to miss them but fortunately that one I spotted