Default Julie Gardener Gone - New Producer For Series 5

Not sure of the accuracy of this.....
    The producer of the multi-award-winning Victoria Wood drama Housewife, 49 is to take over as the executive producer of Doctor Who.

Piers Wenger will work on the fifth series of Doctor Who and also take over as head of BBC Wales drama in January 2009 when current boss Julie Gardner steps down, MediaGuardian can reveal.

There is no word from the BBC yet on what Russell T Davies - the key creative figure behind the Doctor Who revival as show runner and co-executive producer with Gardner - will do come series five, although he is expected to scale back his involvement.

A BBC spokeswoman said no final decision had yet been made on Davies' role on the show from 2009.

Gardner, who in her five years in charge has had huge success with Doctor Who and other dramas including Life on Mars and Torchwood, is currently in discussions as to her next move, although she is expected to stay within the BBC.

Wenger will join the BBC early in the new year, where he will work closely with Gardner during a 12-month handover period.

He will take over Doctor Who for its fifth series, which is expected to go into production in the summer of 2009 for broadcast in spring 2010.

Wenger, 35, left his job as head of drama development at Granada, where he worked with Wood on the Bafta and RTS award-winning Housewife, 49, earlier this year to help set up independent producer Mammoth Screen.

Davies and Gardener will continue to work on Doctor Who for the next 18 months, overseeing the fourth series which is currently in production and is due to air from the spring of next year, as well as three specials for broadcast in 2009.

Gardener will also continue to executive produce the next runs of Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures before she leaves BBC Wales.

As well as her BBC Wales responsibilities, Gardner oversees the development and commissioning of new BBC1 Saturday evening dramas, as well as working with the BBC fiction controller, Jane Tranter, on special projects.

Wenger, who has just finished work on BBC1's Boxing Day adaptation of Noel Streatfield's classic novel Ballet Shoes, said working with Gardner over the next year would "provide an invaluable insight into the secrets and success" of Doctor Who.

"I'm incredibly excited to be joining BBC Wales," he added. "The success of the drama team there has been extraordinary and I look forward to taking the team to even greater heights."

Gardner said she had been on the "trip of a lifetime" over the past five years.

"I know that when I hand over my sonic screwdriver to Piers for season five of Doctor Who, it will be to someone who loves and understands the show."

Tranter described Gardner as "one of the most impressive television executives in the UK".

"Her success over the past four years in BBC Wales drama has been unparalleled and her work on Doctor Who has earned her a place in TV history," she said.

"I'm delighted that she is committed to working across such a broad range of drama at the BBC for the next few years. She will provide a guiding light for Piers for the next 12 months and this creative collaboration will be an exciting time for BBC Wales drama."

Doctor Who returns to BBC1 on Christmas Day in the special Voyage of the Damned, starring singer Kylie Minogue, before the fourth series from spring 2008.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Confirmed!

Piers Wenger is to take over from Julie Gardner as the new executive producer of Doctor Who, it has been confirmed.

Wenger, producer of ITV's Bafta-award winning drama Housewife, 49, will also become the new head of BBC Wales drama from January 2009. He will join the BBC in the new year, working closely with Gardner in a 12-month handover period.

Russell T Davies, co-executive producer of Who, is on board for three specials airing in 2009 but has refused to confirm whether he will be involved with the fifth series, due for broadcast in 2010. Gardner is expected to remain at the BBC.

I don't know why but news like this always makes me nervous. I like to think there is continuity with production & when things change I worry that the programme might suffer.

Or to put it another way...

We're dooooooooooooooooooooooomed!

Si.

She often gets overlooked, compared to Russell T Davies, but Julie Gardner has had an incredible impact on the programme and has been right at the heart of the show's success. She will be missed, and, indeed, the show may or may not suffer with her departure, but it was inevitable that the people who got the ball rolling would eventually move on, and I have every faith that the powers that be will choose the right people who will maintain 'Doctor Who's' success.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    but it was inevitable that the people who got the ball rolling would eventually move on...
    Mal Young moved on after Series 1......
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

That's how inevitable it was!

It's funny, it tends to be forgotten now that Mal Young had a part in bringing the programme back. Didn't he take a bit of a back seat in his capacity as executive producer, though?

I got the impression at the time that he did a lot of the leg work to get the show off the ground & then left when Christopher Eccleston went...coincidence?

Pip Madeley Guest

Good luck & thanks very much to Julie, I say! I'm sure Doctor Who will remain in safe hands.

That's a very calm and dignified response, Pip. Call yourself a fan?!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

A fan? Me? God no.

no reall suprise she is going she's done a fantastic job - and I certainly don't have any worries about the new man.

I agree with Pip on two fronts. I have every faith that Who will remain in safe hands, and also he is no fan (he is every fan!!!!!)
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Shame it's not Arsene Wenger!

Si Hunt stole my post...

and Jonno used the reply I wasn't sad enough to replace it with earlier.

Pip Madeley Guest

You're superfluous now.

I was never that keen on her in the first place.

That said I hated Mal Young, but the series took a downward turn when he left (IMO), so what do I know, eh?

Make way for a naval officer!