Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Catherine Tate says "Tennant to leave!"

According to BBC News:

Catherine Tate has suggested that the next series of Doctor Who could be the last for actor David Tennant.

The comedian, speaking on Radio 2's Jonathan Ross programme, said: "I think it's maybe David's last series."

The BBC refused to comment on Mr Tennant's future as the show's star.

Tate, who first appeared in the 2006 Christmas special, is to return as the doctor's assistant, Donna, for the entire run of the fourth series.

She will also be joined for several episodes by the doctor's former companion Martha Jones, played by Freema Agyeman.

When pressed on whether Tennant would return to play the timelord in special Dr Who shows in future, Tate replied: "Possibly."

The comedian also confirmed that the forthcoming series would be her last.

Tate made her Doctor Who debut last year as a runaway bride who found herself transported into the Tardis as she prepared for her wedding on Christmas Eve.

The episode attracted an audience of 9.4 million when it was screened on BBC One on Christmas Day.

This year's Christmas special, starring Kylie Minogue, is due to be screened at 1850 GMT on 25 December.

Speaking to Doctor Who magazine, the pop star said appearing in the show was "like stepping back in time".

"I really felt at home being back in the world of TV," she added. "I've definitely got the acting bug again!"

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Pip Madeley Guest

I wouldn't be surprised. If he does the specials in 2009 he'll have been the Doctor on-screen for almost four years. Series five would be nice but I just think it's unlikely, given Gardner's left and RTD's probably itching to move on...

Captain Tancredi Guest

I'm not sure how many people were expecting him to do another series after this next one, so I don't think it'll come as that great a surprise, however what it does seem to show is the BBC being caught on the hop by an unguarded comment.

WhiteCrow Guest

I think he's done a fine job. Will be sad to see him go, but he's stuck through the role for a commendable time given the offers he's getting.

What I'm most worried about is who will hand over. Peter Davidson made Doctor Who uber popular, then with Colin Baker, it really wasn't.

Pip Madeley Guest

I think that's not strictly true - Colin's viewing figures were on a par with Davison's, hovering around the 6-8m mark, and bettered them in some cases (Attack ep 1 had the biggest audience since Time-Flight ep 3). It was only during Trial, after the long hiatus, that the figures went downhill.

Absolutely - the viewing figures didn't suffer until the BBC effectively proclaimed that the show was rubbishy and unpopular.

I'm not sure how many people were expecting him to do another series after this next one, so I don't think it'll come as that great a surprise
    And "absolutely" again - I think getting him for three whole seasons plus the 2009 specials is probably all most people are expecting. And although that seems quite short in some ways, in reality it would make him the third-longest Doctor after Tom & Jon, so that's not bad going.

WhiteCrow Guest

Well in Doctor Who, having a new face is the name of the game. He's already got a decent legacy of some of the best Who stories, and of course the best companion of all time in Rose.

I think we should always be dissapointed when a Doctor regenerates. It's far better than getting really bored of a Doctor and saying "isn't he gonna regenerate already???".

and of course the best companion of all time in Rose
    You forgot those three magic letters I, M & O.

Ironically though, I was ready to proclaim her as such based on her adventures with the Ninth Doctor, but she didn't work as well with the Tenth Doctor.

IMO.

And they're probably not finished with her yet, so her future shouldn't be assured as far a being the best companion in anyone's opinion.

She was crap

IMO

I think the best bit about that news story is that Tate's confirmed that she's only doing S.4, which means come 2009 I'll be able to start enjoying Who again.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Well, if he goes, he goes. I don't think it'll be the end of the world, but I'll be sad to see him leave nonetheless. I think a lot of kids will miss their Doctor though.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Every body has assumed that this "year out" in 2009 is some kind of sweatner arranged by the BBC that will persaude Tennet to do series 5 and all we have heard/read at the moment is rumours and quotes from other people and nothing from David, him self. He is going to leave at some point and I remain open mided as to weather or not he will do a 5th series but untill I see it in print in DWM, that he is going than I will not believe the rumours.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    You forgot those three magic letters I, M & O.

Ironically though, I was ready to proclaim her as such based on her adventures with the Ninth Doctor, but she didn't work as well with the Tenth Doctor.

IMO.
    Oh how you miss my irony - whenever I say "Rose - the best companion of all time", I'm of course misquoting RTD from one of those bloody awful Doctor Who Confidential programs which usually includes such quotes as "we've never done this before in Doctor Who", and the classic "today we're filming in Wales, which is doubling for Hell!".

When are people going to start to "get me" on here. P.S. Jon Pertwee's stories were rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    When are people going to start to "get me" on here. P.S. Jon Pertwee's stories were rubbish!
    We've never said anything like this on PS before... but I "get you"!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I feel the same towards Tate as I would someone on here blowing a big spoiler - if it's true, could she REALLY not have kept her trap shut to keep it a surprise? I don't like knowing the Doctor is leaving so far in advance.

Si.

To be fair, we don't know for certain that he's going. We don't know anything. We don't know when, how, why or if it's even true.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

Has Catherine Tate been romantically linked with David Tennant yet?

Rose is soooooooooooo not the best companion ever. I've read the Best Companion Of All Time thread, and she left before MEL-MEL people!!! lol

Anywho, I would like him to stay for one more series just cos' it DOES seem like he hasn't been around long, but at the same time, I'm not particularly fond of Ten so...lol But, RTD DID say series 4 will be the darkest series, so, yeah, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

No matter what happens, Rose will always be Nine's companion. i think RTD flucked things up royally by bringing her back now with Ten. She was only good in series 1, in my opinion. Let's face it, she was pretty much wallpaper in series 2 (Girl in the Fireplace, is my reference for that opinion) I think they should've left her behind with her ending-now they're gonna sour it. Although, my brother was babbling on about how her return might just be some time phenomena and how the Doctor and Donna are stumbling around a realm of events that could've happened but didn't. Something like that, I was too busy eating Cookie Crisps lol

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBeastie View Post
    Rose is soooooooooooo not the best companion ever.
    Tell that to the Doctor! He LOVED her you know!

I could never quite believe that an incredibly intelligent guy who has been around 900 years and met so many amazing people would fall in love with a skanky little 19 year old obnoxious chav. I could believe that she would fall in love with him, but not the other way round.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    I could never quite believe that an incredibly intelligent guy who has been around 900 years and met so many amazing people would fall in love with a skanky little 19 year old obnoxious chav. I could believe that she would fall in love with him, but not the other way round.
    It's obvious isn't it? The Doctor is just some kind of Time Lord pedophile innit? If it wasn't enough that one girl dressed up in a savages leather for his S&M fetish, then her replacement dressed up in school uniforms for him.

Makes me sick, I hope the program gets banned.

[P.S. This is of course said with irony, before the hate mail starts]

Although thinking about it, with his next companion he starts playing "Doctors and Nurses". Sick.

LoL, yeah Rose was quite a chav. He only fell for her though cos' in the New Millennium, you need at least a little sense of boinking going on in a t.v. series.

But let's get one thing straight, he is NOT 900 years old. He's a 1,003 years old. He doesn't say so cos' 1,000 sounds very old. Think about it- he's been 900 since Colin Baker- if he REALLY was 900yrs old, incarnations 6-9 dropped like flies.

He's 903 according to the trailer for "Voyage of the Damned".