Thread: Ultimate Bond

Default Ultimate Bond

I've been selling my special edition Bonds to upgrade to the Ultimate editions so far it's costing 1 an upgrade.

I'm particularly keen to see an even better restoration on those early bonds plus I had only 10 bonds so I've increased to 13 so far.

I was reading the contributions from 00Baynes and I must say it's an interesting read - I think I'll be reassessing Moonraker for a start!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I've been selling my special edition Bonds to upgrade to the Ultimate editions so far it's costing 1 an upgrade.

I'm particularly keen to see an even better restoration on those early bonds plus I had only 10 bonds so I've increased to 13 so far.

I was reading the contributions from 00Baynes and I must say it's an interesting read - I think I'll be reassessing Moonraker for a start!
    I hope you've seen my Bargain Hunting thread mate,
    wouldn't want you spend any more than neccessary

Thanks Pip I've been going for the Choicesuk.com BOGOFS at just under 6 each. Bondage has never been such good value!

I hope I'm not going to have problems with ***** Galore and Octopussy on this thread...

Bring back ezboards! All is forgiven!!

The world was so liberated back in 1964....
    Last edited by Ralph; 28th Nov 2006 at 12:23 AM.

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I hope I'm not going to have problems with ***** Galore and Octopussy on this thread...
    Consistency's a wonderful thing, ain't it?

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    Consistency's a wonderful thing, ain't it?
    Well, if the use of the word is for proper purposes as it was there, then we'd have no problem with you doing what Wayne suggested in the Temple thread (ie. beating the filter).

Of course, if anyone did it for improper purposes, then we'd not be too happy.

Dave Lewis Guest

Fair enough - it's just that I can only imagine the word "pussy" being used on PS in a Bond-related context. Or possibly a Mrs. Slocombe-related context. I can't visualise anyone here using it as a euphemism for front bottom.

Pip Madeley Guest

I can't visualise anyone here using it as a euphemism for front bottom.
    Except in the Temple, I'd hope.

Ralph- Do you have For Your Eyes Only for sale? That's the only one we need for our collection and we'd be quite happy to take it off your hands...

Send me a message if you want to trade!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Hi Si - I've never had that one otherwise I'd have been happy to trade with you.
    Last edited by Ralph; 28th Nov 2006 at 12:16 PM.

Have you watched any of the new editions yet, Ralph? I've been looking at a few but have yet to buy any of them. Mind you, at this time of year they're a bargain with the BOGOF offer.

There's two triple box sets that have come out. I can understand the thinking behind "Goldfinger/Goldeneye/The Man With The Golden Gun" (just about) but what's going on with "Dr.No/Live and Let Die/Tomorrow Never Dies"? Is it that they all feature Bond in a speedboat? Or have prominent roles for very tall actors?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Have you watched any of the new editions yet, Ralph? I've been looking at a few but have yet to buy any of them. Mind you, at this time of year they're a bargain with the BOGOF offer.
    No I've just placed the orders for them. I am looking forward particularly to a cleaned up Goldfinger There was a fair amount of blemishes I noticed on the old one.

Pip Madeley Guest

I am looking forward particularly to a cleaned up Goldfinger. There was a fair amount of blemishes I noticed on the old one
    Euphemism overload.

I bought the Special Edition Volume 1 box set years ago, but decided to wait until I could better afford them to buy the 2nd and 3rd box sets (Note- the US bond releases are different than they are in the UK) By the time I was ready to buy another, I discovered that Sony had bought MGM and the Special Edition box sets had been pulled and the box sets were now going for two to three times as much on ebay as the retail.

The Ultimate Edition box sets (four of them with five movies each) are coming out here right now - the first two were released a couple of weeks ago and the last two will be released Dec 12. I'm really thinking about trying to sell my Special Edition box set on Amazon.com or Ebay and using the money to buy one or two of the Ultimate box sets depending on how much I get.

These sets though, have the movies in slim DVD cases instead of regular DVD cases, which I'm not sure that I prefer... Also I have heard that one of the longer documentaries for Die Another Day was replaced with extras that were dissapointing in its place. What about other movies? Does anyone else know the special feature differences between the Special Editions and Ultimate Editions?

I understand the key difference between Special and Ultimate editions is that the 60s Bonds have benefitted most from the clean up plus most of the films are closer to their orginal screen format. The UEs are on two disks not one and the movies have been given a higher bit rate which presumably in non computer speak means enhanced quality?

I think the UEs have new commentaries. I believe some censored clips have been restored but I'm not certain. I think the "important" special features have been carried across from the SEs with others dropped. Hopefully all those dull TV and radio spots!

Anyway I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong .. Have I missed anything?
    Last edited by Ralph; 29th Nov 2006 at 1:15 PM.

Sold my final special edition Bond today - Live and Let Die was the last to go

Goldeneye followed immediately by Golfinger were the first to go.

The Spy Who loved Me fetched the most money at 11.95

Meaningless stats I'm sure but I decided I would share them anyway!

Plus now I have Dr No, Moonraker, Living Daylights and Licence to Kill as new Bonds added to my collection which is now up to 14. I haven't properly watched the Timothy Dalton ones so I'm particularly looking forward to those.

Perhaps these two are closest to the latest one in style?

Moonraker holds some nostalgia for me being the first Bond I saw at the cinema - I'm sure in the right spirit it's fun to watch. Oh and Dr No was the first I saw with it's ITV premier in 1974. I was absorbed immediately!
    Last edited by Ralph; 30th Nov 2006 at 12:39 AM.