Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WhiteCrow Guest

Default Most Annoying 2007

I've just finished watching BBC3's "Most Annoying People 2007" - which was great. Like some car crash you couldn't take your eyes off but unfolding over 5 hours. I even found myself rubber necking whilst going to make the tea.

Anyway I thought it would be interesting to do the same theme for with a Dr Who twist.

So what was the most annoying person/thing related to Dr Who 2007?

People will have no doubt about where mine will come from, it's not Dr Who itself, but it's behind the scenes TV show Doctor Who Confidential ...

We're in freezing cold Cardiff, which today is doubling for London.

I don't really think I found any one thing, let alone person, annoying in Doctor Who. It was quite a good season, I think, which definately improved towards the end but which had its high and low points like any other. I could say Chris Chibnall, since his Who episode was my least favourite, but then I really liked his work on "Torchwood" earlier in the year.

Si.

have to agree with Si, other than the constant references to Rose,I can't really think of any thing annoying in 2007 from the series.

I don't think Martha really fulfilled her potential. She could have been a better companion than Rose, but they spent too long on the 'unrequited love' angle.

We didn't get a Big Finish story from Stephen Baxter. It would probably have been dissappointing and no-one else cares, but it would have been good to get an established author's take on Doctor Who. Still, '100' was pretty damn good, so it's OK.

The David/Freema signing, with fans turning up from 1am to queue outside HMV, ensuring that anyone sane wouldn't get a look in. I thought I was obsessive getting there for 9am!

And the usual ( The poor-to-average episode 'Blink' overshadowing everything else that was wonderful in the recent season in all the polls and everything. Why? The time-paradox stuff was cliched and over-familiar, the threat of the angels was completely diminished because everyone they sent back in time seemed to have a good life, the site of the statues rocking the TARDIS was bloody ridiculous and the 'scary statues' ending was so ham-fisted it made me snort with derision. But everyone loves it because of Sally Sparrow's wet-look hair. Woo! ) /rant.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I "loved" it because it was a good episode. I couldn't give a stuff about Sally Sparrow's hair, wet-look or otherwise. The time paradox stuff cliched and over-familiar? Well I suppose it might be in general, but in Doctor Who I can only really think of Day of the Daleks and Mawdryn Undead that went anywhere near the subject. It's certainly less cliched and over familiar than "big load of aliens invade modern-day London/Cardiff pretending to be London" which seems to get dragged out 2 or 3 times a year. People have different opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    . I couldn't give a stuff about Sally Sparrow's hair, wet-look or otherwise.
    oh I could Carey Mulligan was one sexy babe with her hair all wet.....

Hmm. I'm going to go with "horsey" again for her I think.

Well I was glad to get rid of the constant "survivors guilt", thank the good dude that died with the 9th Doctor.

Most annoying of 2007? Got to be the constant Doctor love triangle business, with Martha being all doe-eyed and wailing about Rose. Can't we just have a man and a woman who can be good friends, respect and like each other a good deal with no sexual interest on either side? This is something that annoys me in other tv shows/films too.
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

Annoying? Hmmmmmm..... The only thing that springs to mind is Chan tho.

Or there could be the obsession with making bad guys look like Earth creatures: Rhinos, pigs, crabs, spiders...
    Geoff

Pip Madeley Guest

Most annoying thing in Dr Who during 2007? The Doctor saying he's 903. Continuity nightmare!

For me, it was the constant Rose ghost & the fan reactions on OG & Anorak Zone etc. They really need to have sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    the fan reactions on OG & Anorak Zone etc. They really need to have sex.
    Well that's a a nice thought Tim, but they probabaly live all over the world so it'd be quite difficult...

I agree with Tim. The single thing that's annoyed me most, and got me down the most, about Who this year has been fan comments - the thought of being tarred with that same brush as 'a Doctor Who fan' really makes me angry.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I agree with Tim. The single thing that's annoyed me most, and got me down the most, about Who this year has been fan comments - the thought of being tarred with that same brush as 'a Doctor Who fan' really makes me angry.
    Haven't fans always been a bit like that? Although I expect the "wilderness years" gave them all a rally point of "the BBC should commision new Who".

This seems to have changed recently to "please save Doctor Who by taking it off the screens" for some people. And yet I suspect these are the same fanatics who queued up at 1am to the David and Freema signing.

The new theme and crappy end credits the other night.

Not having any Torchwood this autumn (I was going to say this year until remembering that the last two episodes of S1 were on 01/01/07).

Haven't fans always been a bit like that?
    Oh probably; I found myself feeling the same way in the late 80s/early 90s when I used to subscribe to DWB. After however many issues of basically bitching about anything JN-T was involved in, I gave that up as a bad job.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    The new theme and crappy end credits the other night.
    Lets face it, it could be worse, we could have Robin Hoods theme tune, which is absolutely dreadful, and I'm not surprised BBC America is involved, and it's SO cheesy.

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post

So what was the most annoying person/thing related to Dr Who 2007?
    litefoot on Roobarb's Doctor Who forum.

This may be controversial, but if he were not involved in the world of 'Who', and if he wasn't such a fine ambassador for the show, and if he or his character weren't so damn infectiously enthusiastic and so likeable, wouldn't the fact that John Barrowman never seems to be off our television screens be more than a little annoying by now...?

Seriously, there has been very little to annoy me this year, other than, as has been previously said, the pathetic, moaning, ungrateful 'fans' who, despite three continued years of unparalleled (and increasing) success still seem to think they know how best the programme should be made (for them) and who probably won't be happy until it's disappeared off the air again.

We kind of said the same thing last night when we saw John Barrowman on one of the channels for New Year's Eve... John Barrowman will show up at the opening of a packet of crisps.

But no-one complains because he's so damned likeable. I know I like him.
    Geoff

The Dalek two-parter
    repeated mentions of Rose

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Actually... here's one - the constant criticisms of RTD. Okay, he's no Stephen Moffat but the forum I was in kept on calling for "a bounty on" RTD's head". "He desaucified Kylie so he must die" (Kylie's sexy in a bin liner...). RTD to blame for bad writing in Torchwood (he only wrote one episode...).

13.8 million viewers on Christmas Day? - he must be doing something right.
    Geoff

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by enzo1701 View Post
    Actually... here's one - the constant criticisms of RTD. Okay, he's no Stephen Moffat but the forum I was in kept on calling for "a bounty on" RTD's head". "He desaucified Kylie so he must die" (Kylie's sexy in a bin liner...).
    "No other TV program would dare to have Kylie and make her dowdy. I thought we were lucky, lucky lucky lucky to get her". It's all the man's big gay agenda.

I personally love some of the crazy big gay agenda conspiracy theories, they seem so desparate at times.

Quote Originally Posted by enzo1701 View Post
    RTD to blame for bad writing in Torchwood (he only wrote one episode...).
    Though to be fair I think he is a bit to blame. He set the tone of the series. He's the one who blabbered about how TV writing in Britiain is so good. More time is spent getting the writing right before you start shooting unlike the American system where the pressure is to get SOMETHING out there.

His zeal and enthusiasm won me over as a convert to his cause. Then I watched "Day One" and the many poor early Torchwood episodes and my retort to him was "bollocks".

I think RTD is a tallented man, but in his interviews on Confidential, he doesn't have come over as a bit over smug. I need to be physically restrained from Confidential. It's so biased, I mean the recent one focused on Kylies early Stock-Aitkin-Waterman pop career, whilst completely omitting her more recent more edgy work. Gay agenda if ever there was one!

P.S. enzo - be warned a lot of what I post is meant tongue-in-cheek.

That's ok, tongue-in-cheek I can handle.

I actually like Torchwood though and don't see a problem with the writing - people do talk like that in Cardiff. It's not perfect I know but can't wait for the second season.
    Geoff