Thread: Most Yay 2007

WhiteCrow Guest

Default Most Yay 2007

Okay I've started a thread about annoying things in Doctor Who 2007 ...

http://www.planetskaro.org.uk/forums...3635#post83635

But sometimes as a fan, you can so easily forget that ... you're a fan. So what were the good bits about Who in 2007?

Not necessarily the best bit of the series, but it was still fantastic to see Derek Jacobi's turn ... "I ... am ... the Master!"

well other than Derek Jacobi, but Human Nature / Family of Blood fr me the highlight of 2007 and Harry LLoyd, was by far the stand out performance.

other highlights

"I Am The Master" and his regeneration.

the Re creation of Elizabethan London.

Carey Mulligan, as Sally Sparrow.

Best thing about 2007 was OG's "What number is your Key To Time set" thread?

Worst thing was the fan "campaign" (again on OG) to get Murray Gold int to the singles chart.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I would have to go with "Blink"

Well if VotD fails to impress then I'd agree with you about Blink.

Best thing about 07? David Tennant, no question. Having been pretty lukewarm about him last year, this year I've been totally blown away. Totally watchable, he carries the whole thing with such energy and charm, and the two-parter starring John Smith just highlighted his abilities as an actor - Smith is played quite differently to the Doctor, and the contrast works brilliantly.

Pip Madeley Guest

The last ten minutes of Utopia.

I nominate Blink too.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post

Not necessarily the best bit of the series, but it was still fantastic to see Derek Jacobi's turn ... "I ... am ... the Master!"
    Blink was one of the best tv shows of 2007, let alone sci-fi.

Have to agree with you on Derek Jacobi as the Master though - shame we didn't see more of him as the Master. He was so deliciously evil - "Aah. Now I can say I was provoked."

I also loved it after he regenerated, and said something like "This is where I tell you all about my plan in time for you to stop me..... I don't think!". Brilliant - a bad guy who isn't a moron, unlike those that appear in a lot of tv and films these days!
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

I like Blink...I'm just a bit peeved at people over praising. Yes it was genius, brilliantly written and well directed and so on, but I'm one of those people who hates it when things get overhyped, and Blink is getting a bit overhyped.

I LOVED the Human Nature two parter- Harry Lloyd was fantastic in that.

I also loved the "YANA" bit, that made me actually scream "O MY GAWD!!!!" lol That was a great moment.

I also just loved Martha, she was someone new and fresh and I loved everything about her character. She has a good head on her shoulders and I can't wait for her to return in series 4.

Oh, and Jack is ALWAYS welcome!!!! hehehe

I'll post a bit more in the 2007 thread elsewhere, but this has been a wonderful year for 'Who', but various 'Yays' have been:

- Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones, who has been just wonderful
    - David Tennant who continues to impress as one of the finest - if not THE finest - incarnations of the Doctor
    - Human Nature/The Family Of Blood, one of the best pieces of television I have ever seen
    - Blink, another great piece of TV, and which gave us the best-companion-we'll-probably-never-have in Carey Mulligan's Sally Sparrow
    - The fact that the series continues to attract excellent guest stars, some of the best being Jessica Hynes, Harry Lloyd, Ardal O'Hanlon, Miranda Raison, Dean Lennox Kelly, Christina Cole, and...
    - Derek Jacobi as Yana: "I... Am... The Maaaa-sterrrrrr!"
    - John Simm as The Master, who simply stole the show
    - The Sarah Jane Adventures, a surprisingly good series
    - Time Crash, a quite wonderful return to the series of Peter Davison
    - Voyage Of The Damned, a fine Xmas special, with Kylie proving all the doubters wrong, and a fitting end to a remarkable year of consistently good adventures

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Blink, another great piece of TV, and which gave us the best-companion-we'll-probably-never-have in Carey Mulligan's Sally Sparrow
    We were talking about this in the pub - Sally is not going to be a companion, so get over it!

However we'll be getting Rose back, so won't that be nice!

Much as I enjoyed Blink, I don't really get what was so great about Sally Sparrow. She just seemed a rather generic "spunky heroine" type to me, nothing particularly interesting about her.

We were talking about this in the pub - Sally is not going to be a companion, so get over it!
    Well that's why Dave said, "which gave us the best-companion-we'll-probably-never-have in Carey Mulligan's Sally Sparrow"

However we'll be getting Rose back, so won't that be nice!
    No. Oh joy, lets not move on, lets dig up the past again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    Much as I enjoyed Blink, I don't really get what was so great about Sally Sparrow. She just seemed a rather generic "spunky heroine" type to me, nothing particularly interesting about her.
    THANK YOU! (sort of)

She was a well developed character, and attractive, which I think is why people like her so much (she also apparently resembled Romana II which a lot of folks liked that) But I agree, I don't see THE BIG TO DO about Sally. But she is likable.

forgot to say another highlight of 2007 that no one has mentioned was seeing those wonderfull pictures of Gallifrey.

Wayne Guest

Derek Jacobi's turn ... "I ... am ... the Master!"

I'll go with that.

Edited to add: Cue Tim.

Pip Madeley Guest

"I.... ham... the Master."

Derek Jacobi/John Simm
    Sally Sparrow
    Blink
    Human Nature
    Jessica Stevenson
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!