View Poll Results: What did you think of Voyage of the Damned?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10/10 - Wouldn't Change A Thing

1 2.17%
  • 9/10 - Some Kind of Bliss

7 15.22%
  • 8/10 - Wow

19 41.30%
  • 7/10 - More More More

5 10.87%
  • 6/10 - Did It Again

6 13.04%
  • 5/10 - Limbo

3 6.52%
  • 4/10 - Too Much Of A Good Thing

2 4.35%
  • 3/10 - Tears On My Pillow

1 2.17%
  • 2/10 - Too Far

2 4.35%
  • 1/10 - Shocked

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Rate & Discuss... Voyage Of The Damned

The place to discuss this year's Christmas special! No voting till 8pm on Christmas Day, please!

I fell asleep during the "big action bit" recorded in that disused Cardiff Paper Mill they keep using in every frikkin series! ENUFF ALREADY!!

I put my foot through the TV during the gay bit and fisted my portable when I caught that bit with her thingy at the end!! THAT MAKES IT TOO SMUG AND SELF-AWARE!! ONCE AGAIN RTD HAS DELIVERED NOTHING MORE THAN A CHILDHOOD RAPING NON-CANON REMAKE!!

Not overly impressed with the Series Four trailer at the end. That shouty Tate woman has ruined everything. FFS!! GET RID!! SOON AS!! END OF!!

No "I Should Be So Lucky" option?

Pip Madeley Guest

P-Bal, Jim & Simon R will know all 10 options.

should the vote now button be blocked out untill tomorrow ..

Pip Madeley Guest

I'd like to think everyone's got enough sense not to vote till they've seen it.

I'm a Doctor Who fan, and you expect me to have sense as well? 1/10!

Si.

8/10 and the best Christmas special we've had so far. I was riveted from start to finish.

SNAP! 8/10. And definitely the best Christmas special so far! It took 17 minutes or so to really get going but that just made it feel more like a film than a TV drama. Not keen on some bits but but these were really minor & only worthy of a passing mention to say why it only got 8/10.

Loved it, as others have mentioned, it's my favourite Christmas special so far and I was gripped from start to finish. I loved the fact that Bernard Cribbins popped up, all of the action scenes, the Queen's minor cameo, and even Kylie was good (though it looked like she has had too much botox to smile properly these days ).

I rated it 9 / 10 - if it had had K9 in it it'd have scored 10!

Btw, I'm so glad I steered clears of the spoilers for once, I've just read through that thread and they gave way too much away for my liking. Damn those evil tabloid types!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

I thought it was fab. Detailed review to follow another day.

Doctor Who + TARDIS in space CGI + Kylie + boots = Merry Pipmas

7.5/10 - never mind the Titanic that was more like Robots of Death meats the Posidon Adventure, very enjoyable stuff and Kylie, looked WOW and sexy.

just not sure about the new theme tune the start of it was very much like the Troughton, version but it did seem a little speeded up to me as did the credits but I'll have to wait untill I can here it properly before judging it as I coulds not hear it because of that idiot announcer talking all through it.

Oh yes, forgot to mention...I was very glad to see the dedication to Verity Lambert at the end. Well done Beeb!

Oh, & how 'Davros' was Max?

I loved the new version of the theme, I thought it had some real 'oomph' to it.

I thought of the Poseidon adventure comparison too (oh, and some other film about a ship sinking, but I can't remember the name), and I forgot to mention earlier how much I liked Max, his appearance was fleeting but it was extremely memorable.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

Oh, & how 'Davros' was Max?
    Captain Riviere from Frontios, more like!

just not sure about the new theme tune the start of it was very much like the Troughton
    Don't know where you got that from, I thought it was rocky!

I'm beginning to accept that the Christmas Special rather rocks Canon all over the place, however a worthwhile watch

I thought this was the best Christmas Special so far. At first it all felt a little too 'alien' to relate to (ironic, considering I'm the staunchest supporter of the "make them do more alien planets" lobby) but the situation was set up surprisingly quickly, and I quickly began to enjoy the 'journey accross the failing ship' setup. The characters were very entertaining indeed, the two "large" people was quite touching and Clive Swift was ace. Geoffrey Palmer felt a little superfluous and wasted, but it was nice that he was there. Good to see Bernie is back next year, judging from the Coming Soon trailer.

The biggest fault, wasn't one. The whole thing was a shameless rip-off of "Titanic", "The Poseiden Adventure" (the 'fat woman going up shaft' scene was an entire rip!) and particuarly "The Robots of Death". The latter I'd overlooked until the 'hand trapped in door' homage which unfortunately shone a big bold light on what they'd cribbed the whole concept from. But I've decided it doesn't really matter that they nicked from a really great story 30 years ago. Who cares? It's long forgotton and only a few fans will have noticed. The most important thing is, it gave them a menacing and scary baddie.

And what a rollercoaster ride it turned into. It wasn't a complex story, but for a Christmas Special it seemed entirely appropriate. I was well pleased with the amount of Christmassy things in it, considering that this time last year (when we thought it would be set aboard the real Titanic) I feared it would avoid anything Christmassy at all. The only performer I felt that let it down was (don't hate me!) Kylie. I thought she was pretty wooden! But the demise of Astrid was nicely done, and very sad. Her ghostly image then being dispersed in a shower of stars lingers (although didn't the Doctor say the machinary was too broken to teleport her back, just before using it to beam himself down to Earth?)

A quick word of praise for David Tennant, who carried the show beautifully through-out. The special was thrilling, moving (I really liked the screen time given to resolving Clive Swift's character's plight at the end) and fun. My whole family loved it.

Earlier today I had the misfortune of watching "Pirates of the Carribbean: To World's End" which was the biggest load of claptrap you ever saw; THREE HOURS of nonsensical justification for endless special effects. I bet "Voyage of the Damned" cost twenty times less, but it was fifty times wittier, more charming and more enjoyable. A triumph!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Earlier today I had the misfortune of watching "Pirates of the Carribbean: To World's End" which was the biggest load of claptrap you ever saw; THREE HOURS of nonsensical justification for endless special effects. I bet "Voyage of the Damned" cost twenty times less, but it was fifty times wittier, more charming and more enjoyable.
    Amazingly that Pirates of the Carribbean film cost $300,000,000 - so it was many many times cheaper to make.

A triumph!
    Couldn't agree more!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

8/10 two marks off for Kylie. Yes I'm glad she didn't die of cancer, but still..
    Last edited by Dino; 26th Dec 2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: inaccurate

Yes I'm glad she didn't die of cancer, but still..
    ?!?!?!?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Yes I'm glad she didn't die of cancer, but still..
    Disgusting thing to say.

Over-wrought nonsense for me, I'm afraid. The ending with Clive Swift (who I really, really wanted to be a companion) was absolutely lovely but the rest seemed to be a constant sequence of "noble sacrifices" punctuated by OTT music. I just thought it was really cheesy, almost a parody of itself.
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Captain Riviere from Frontios, more like!

Don't know where you got that from, I thought it was rocky!
    probably was just me then but I'lll know better once i've heard it a few times.

did any one else feel that the 70 minutes duration was perhaps a little to long..

I didn't, infact I wish it had been 20 minutes longer so that it would have been a proper full length Who movie. They could have used Geoffrey Palmer a bit more, had a bit more with the Queen (and maybe Prince Phillip point blank refusing to leave!), and extended the section with the Doctor and Astrid on Earth, and I'd have been a very happy bunny.

Edit: I'm presuming most people know this, but I only just found out that you can watch it again in full on the BBC's site - http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episodes/iplayer.shtml
    "RIP Henchman No.24."