Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How did you get here?

Chatting on another thread, I got thinking about how we all came together.

How did you get into Who? When was that? How did you come to join Planet Skaro?

I watched Dr Who as a small child (Sylvester!), but got more into it when I met Jason (August 2004). Well, with so many daleks in our living room, I figured I may as well know what is going on. I've watched plenty of "old" episodes as well as the new ones, and while watching Voyage Of The Damned I even noted which epidode the dodgy historian had been in before, so I must be becoming a buff! I do love it these days.

Jason introduced me to PS as well, I remember meeting you all for the first time in November '04, quiet and shy - bit of a change from last time (yelling "The Angels Have The Phonebox" and showing off my homemade t-shirt)!
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

Oh that's a long story! It began with a websearch. Seven years ago, sitting idly at work I decided I wanted to get rid of some of my old Doctor Who videos. So on a whim I typed in "new Doctor Who fan" into a search engine and the link that popped up was a post on Outpost Gallifrey. I posted there for a while and got to know Si Hart and a few others (he wasn't the new Doctor Who fan, that's another story), whom I then arranged to meet at a cafe in London that November. Meanwhile I'd taken to using MSN and an old chat room called TARDISsite and got to know the likes of Ant and Pip too (and one Mr Rayner). I began going to signings with my new friends, and eventually met Ant in real life that way too (when he was just fourteen or something!) and then Pip at another meet.

So I started posting to Ant's own forum as well, which was at that time called Master's Cult Of The Universe and then Planet Skaro. Eventually OG got a bit bigger and less friendly, and I was also a bit annoyed at not being made a Mod as Si and I practically kept the bloody place alive in those days. Anyway, Ant asked if I wanted to be a Mod of Planet Skaro so I shifted from OG to PS and Si, Simon and some others came with me.

And that's it really. There we stayed until Old PS became New PS. And here we are! All these years later.

The motto is: always be careful what you Google, you never know what you might turn up...

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I first became involved with online fandom (I hate that word) back in 1999/2000, aged 14, when I joined the old BBC Doctor Who messageboard (which used to open from 8am-10pm I seem to remember, those were the days!) and that's how I made friends with a few people like Kaybee Bailey, Jonno, Si Hunt, Ant Williams etc... I later joined the 'Master' board when the BBC one closed, and then in turn joined Planet Skaro at its inception in Feb/March 2002.

As I became more Internet-friendly and got my own PC at home in 2002, I set up a Doctor Who MSN Group called 'TARDISite' with Kaybee. Great name for a Dr Who site. That was around the same time that PS started, so we were like a sister site, hosting scheduled discussions in the chat room and running caption competitions etc. Not long after PS opened, Ant offered me the post of moderator, and as the year went on, my attentions diverted to PS and I closed the 'TARDISite' in 2004. But I like to think its spirit lives on in the new PS.

I then went on to become Planet Skaro's graphic designer (a post I've held since mid-2003) and then an administrator for a short time, before taking a bit of a break during my uni studies, returning once more in late 2004 to become a moderator... and then working my way back into admin-land. Then, in November 2006, I masterminded the move from ezBoard to this lovely new place, as the current technical admin, which means I tend to spend most of my time here looking after our website & (trying to) sort out any technical problems we might come across. Basically, I'm the Chief Caretaker of PS.

As for Doctor Who, well, as a ten year old, I sat down in May 1996 and watched The TV Movie. And my life changed forever!

I got into Doctor Who back in the 70's. The first story I recall watching was The Sea Devils, though I am sure I was watching before that and just don't remember. It was the cliffhangers that got me hooked and they are somthing I miss in the new series.

I am joint admin of a sci-fi forum called The Final Frontier, and a few of the members here, used to post on my forum and the mentioned this place and over I came for a looksee. I'm still here today.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

that's how I made friends with a few people like Kaybee Bailey, Jonno, Si Hunt
    I think Pip's memory may be cheating a little - I never used the BBC boards...

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Maybe it was Si Hart? I remember a Si on there, anyway.

I have vague memories of watching season 12 but how and why I started watching Doctor Who I don't know why as for on line fandom when I first got a computer 6 years ago I went to the obvious place for Doctor Who and joined the BBC message boards. I was a member there for about 2 years untill the BBC decided to close the boards down which they did barely weeks after the announcment Doctor Who was coming back.

I was aware of both O.G's and Planet Skaro's existance as I'd seen them mentioned on numerous occasions but like many on the BBC messages boards on their closure I joined O.G. How I came to join P.S was quite by accident I was on the look out for any fan groups in the Berks area and quite by chance stumbled across a post in the fan group section asking the same thing. That's how I got to know Si Hart and Steve I e-mailed Phill Culley and I met them all one Friday night a couple of years back and through them I joined P.S.

In the last year or so I have also become a member of Dr Who on-line, Unit News, and the Ian Levine forums.

Me? Oh I've been a fan of the show for years and years and years. I started in 1979 and I haven't had a break since.

I've always been a fairly active fan really. I had a good friend at school who loved the show too and so we used to go into London to signings and the like together and we'd chat to other fans in the queue and get a few contacts to swap videos of rare stories (when there were such a thing...) with.
    Anyway, University came and I met other fans of the show and I joined the Sheffield local group, The Watchers, and went along to several of their special events and stuff which was good, and in the holidays I always went to the tav.

After uni, the Tav became a regular fixture for a couple of years until I realised I was just going for the sake of it and I didn't really enjoy it a great deal. I fell out with my old school friend and so really I went back to just enjoying the show on my own and was happy with that.
    But things were to change, suddenly anf terribly I discovered the old OG forum. I've told the story many times of how I adopted the SiHart username because it was much the same as SiHunt's (and by a nice coincidence actually my name too) and I caused havoc for a bit before realising I was having a great time and was hooked. A fortnight later some of the guys from the forum were meeting up in London and I decided I'd take the plunge and meet them all too and made two very, very good friends that day. I'm so glad I did.

Anyway I stayed with OG until they moved to the new forum and in 2002 I tentatively started posting on PS too. I was a bit wary because my ex had been a prolific poster there to begin with and when we split he said a lot about our relationship which was rather painful to read. But I perservered. He disappeared and I joined full time by the end of 2002.

At the start of 2003 I went to my first ever PS meet. I met a lot of people that day who have gone on to be very, very good friends. Plus, I met the very wonderful Mr. McCow, who's a very special person and has made my life a wonderful thing ever since.

So I'm not going anywhere. It hasn't always been great on PS- I've had some trying days and a couple of awful weeks when a poster decided to bring a personal vendetta on here, but it's by far my favourite place on the web, full of great people and I love it here.

Long may that continue.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Oh and Pip, I never posted on the BBC Boards either.

Si xx

I rather get the impression that I was a bit mocked by Si and his friend Dan before I was known in real life (probably for my rapid posting rate on OG), a bit like we chuckle about Bayson and people, which I don't mind in the slightest! Luckily Si soon met me and discovered I was even more loopy in real life! Ha! He's not been able to get rid of me since!

Si.

It's true. We used to speculate that SiHunt was a front for a conglomerate of posters because there was no way that so many posts could be posted in one day. Also who would ask about "Your favourite moment in Season 20?"

Fortunately Si has become a very good friend since then, and I only mock him a little bit now!

Si xx

You forgot my "fantasy Season 20"! I was irresistable in those days! Irresistable!

One poster met me at the Tav with the immortal words "you must have a really crap job"! The truth is, I just type fast.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Oh and Pip, I never posted on the BBC Boards either.

Si xx
    I must be losing it then Maybe it was Si Rayner. Then again, probably not.

First things first, I've never known a time I didn't watch Doctor Who. It's always been there.

I started browsing the 'net at the start of 2002 (never needed it before then) & went to the BBC site first, in June 2002. I joined the Beeb Borads where I met Carol Baynes, Jo Grant & Pamela Rae & they made me feel welcome (I seem to have a thing for the ladies ) & I also met Jeff & Wayne there.
    I noticed some chaps called Jonno, Ant W & Phil talking about a message board called Planet Skaro, apparently they had been hacked & the site had to be remade from scratch.

I joined on 23 September 2002 & spent most of my time between the Beeb borads & here until the Beeb closed up shop. I joined OG but never felt at home there & never really got involved there. I joined the 'Doctor Who 2005' board but it wasn't a patch on PS. So here I stayed, until I die,it dies or they get sick of me & ban me.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 28th Dec 2007 at 2:13 PM. Reason: edited for date addition

Wayne Guest

I watched DW pretty much every Saturday from the beginning of S7 (aged 6) to the end of S15 (aged 14), by which time i'd started growing out of it, & didn't really see much after that.
    I got the internet on May 9th 2002, & joined Beeb Boards that day, where i met the likes of Jonno, Pip, Carol, Ant W, Pam, Tim, Dave Tudor, Darren, Jeff, & loads of others. Got told about PS, which was then on Ezboard, & joined on September 2nd 2002.
    I've been here ever since. The phrase 'part of the furniture' springs to mind.

Pip Madeley Guest

I got the internet on May 9th 2002
    joined on September 2nd 2002
    You've got a bloody good memory, Jefferies.

Wayne Guest

It's a musicians thing.

Hi Emma, I don't think we've met have we? I see you only have a few posts, and this is probably the first time I've replied to one of yours.

I first started watching Doctor Who in 1964 when I was a mere 8 year old. I remember being captivated by the Dalek as it emerged from the Thames at the end of the episode Worlds End. I've stuck with it through thick and thin since then, the magic has never died as far as I'm concerned.

As for internet forums, I posted on the BBC boards for a short while before they closed down, but I can't remember how I came to PS, it must be about four or five years now, how time flies.

I remember being nervous about posting on the BBC boards, I was new to the internet back then and had heard such a lot of bad about forums and chat rooms that it took me a while to decide to start posting, by the time I found PS it was becoming second nature to me and although I've only met one or two of the people who post here, I feel that I've made a lot of friends who I would be confident enough with in company.

PS is, and always will be, my favourite forum, I've joined others but never posted on them, feeling some of them are a bit over the top in their opinions towards Doctor Who. I feel PS has the perfect balance of fans and opinions, we can all post our opinions here and know we'll get a good debate on the topic whether it be Who or life in general.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaT View Post
    Chatting on another thread, I got thinking about how we all came together.

How did you get into Who? When was that? How did you come to join Planet Skaro?
    Good question Emma I sometimes wonder why I'm here

As far back as I can remember the show was always on tv on that 25 minute Saturday slot with my earliest memories being Spearhead in Space with that fabulous Mr Pertwee I was blessed like Wayne only being 6 at the time to enjoy the golden era of the show at the best possible age After 7 fabulous years I gradually drifted away as Tom Baker became top heavy with assistants just in time to be spared the 80s

These days if I had to defend myself in a court of law for apathy crimes against current Who I'd be sent down for 30 years with no appeals...

The reason I'm on here is because when the series reached the 40 year milestone at the end of 2003 I was curious to see what was being said on the internet about it. I was spellbound reading all those poster's thoughts on a series I had loved back in the glorious 70s sadly the BBC dismissed the posters with short thrift in early 2004 for cluttering up their boards so I found myself cast adrift and Wayne threw me a line from the good ship Skaro.

In fairness this board could be a Star Trek one just as easily for me or a general Sci-Fi or movie board. It would appear that the posters here can tolerate a total disregard and utter apathy for current Who which is most satisfactory and pleasing

Hi Emma

How did I get here? If you want a fuller answer, I'll tell you about my first experiences of Dr. Who. I used to think the first Who episode I watched was "The hand of fear", but now I think it was aclip on another show about the series (forgotten which), which explains why my memories of "Horror of Fang rock" in September 1977 are much more vivid. I remember much of season 15, particularly the 'contact has been made' moments in "The invisible enemy", the collector going down his 'plug hole' and the new K9 in a box at the end of "The invasion of time". I always watched it from then on.

I think I found the BBC boards by accident in 2000 I think it would have been, and joined Ant's Master cult site as many of the most fun people posted there as well. That became the first Planet Skaro and I stayed on. I nearly didn't join the new PS you know! (gasp!) I'm probably a bit of a lightweight poster really! I'm not really the kind of fan with every DVD on her shelf or who goes to conventions or anything. It'd mean spending time and money spent elsewhere, so I'm a bit set in my ways there I'm afraid. Still, I'm sure I add something to these boards. God knows what it is though!
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 28th Dec 2007 at 4:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    I'm probably a bit of a lightweight poster really! Still, I'm sure I add something to these boards. God knows what it is though!
    No more of a lightweight poster than myself really, look at the difference in post counts between us, but I'm sure that the members here would say that you DO add something to the boards. I would have thought you were considered something like PS's agony aunt as you always seem to speak sense if anyone has a problem.

Pip Madeley Guest

Carol's a firm member of the PS family and we're all close to her bosom. Or so we like to think we are.

You don't have to have a daft post count like mine to feel like you're a proper member.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Carol's a firm member of the PS family and we're all close to her bosom. Or so we like to think we are.

You don't have to have a daft post count like mine to feel like you're a proper member.

Exactly.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    but I'm sure that the members here would say that you DO add something to the boards.
    Agreed. But same goes for you as well Steve. I always read all your posts. (& i don't read everything on here anymore, not like i used to do.)

Awww. I feel a nice warm feeling inside me now!