6 35.29%
  • Colony in Space Version 2

7 41.18%
  • Caves of Androzani Version 2

2 11.76%
  • Ark Version 1

0 0%

Default Target Cover Competition - Group 13

Ooh, some really good ones here, and I was toying with voting for either Full Circle, The Daleks and The Caves Of Androzani, but, in the end, the iconic Doomsday Weapon cover was just too damned good to ignore.

Pip Madeley Guest

Wot Tudor said.

tougth choice between The Daleks and The Doomsday Weapon , but The Daleks, for me is one of those iconic Target covers so wins it for me.

It's a tough choice for me with so many iconic covers but I had to go with Caves. Memories of it are too strong to ignore.

Although the Marshmen look good on the cover of Full Circle, I think the cover could have done with something else being on there, such as the Starliner or the spiders etc...

The Daleks is a great cover, although the purple TARDIS looks more than a little odd. It does need a little toning down colourwise throughout really.

Doomsday Weapon/Colony in Space is a dull cover but does have a very good likeness of Roger Delgado on it.

Davison doesn't look right on the Caves of Androzani cover, and the square insert of Sharaz Jek looks wrong for some reason.

I would have preferred to see the Monoid take more of a centre stage in the Ark cover. It should have dominated the picture but it's far too small to be really effective.

So, not a great round really, and Daleks eases its way to my vote here.

I won Full Circle in a Target book competition back in 1982, so I'm pleased to give it my vote for the most lovely cover in this round.

Ther Ark might have won it for me if it wasn't against this one. I've always had a great fondness for that cover.
    The Daleks is great and all, but not quite right. The Doomsday Weapon is undoubtably great and alas I've never really been that keen on that Androzani cover.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Doomsday Weapon/Colony in Space is a dull cover but does have a very good likeness of Roger Delgado on it.
    I'm really surprised to read that! I think it's a great likeness, & it's reason i voted for it, even though i was tempted by 'The Daleks', as it was one of the first 3 target books i ever bought.
    The others don't really get a look in for me, though admittedly 'Caves' is quite good, but 'The Ark' is dreadful!

The Creature From the Black Lagoon doesn't do it for me.

The Daleks has strong nostalgia as it was the first Target book I bought back in '73

The Doomsaday weapon has a very good picture there of Delgado looking his sinister self and I think it's the best so my vote is cast.

Caves does nothing for me and The Ark is just total crap as others have said

I guess thats the first Pertwee vote for 2008

The Ark - a so-so cover, but a superb book.

Caves of Androzani - very striking, although putting Jek in a rectangle looks almost like a deliberate attempt to be 'arty'.

The Doomsday Weapon - another superb book. My Auntie Mar bought me this book, with this cover, in Carlisle WH Smiths in (probably) 1978 or 79, and I can still remember standing outside the shop and suddenly being presented with it.

The Daleks - I hated this cover as a kid, because the TARDIS and Daleks are just blatantly 'wrong'. Now, of course, it has such a powerful nostalgia kick that I really love it. But it has to be said, a purple, blank-doored, non-angular TARDIS is an odd thing to draw.

And, Full Circle - the DWM reviewer was right when they mentioned the main Marshman, who appears to have breast pockets in his outfit!

So, I'm going for....... Hmm..... I think - Full Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm really surprised to read that! I think it's a great likeness, & it's reason i voted for it, even though i was tempted by 'The Daleks', as it was one of the first 3 target books i ever bought.
    The others don't really get a look in for me, though admittedly 'Caves' is quite good, but 'The Ark' is dreadful!
    Wayne, did you want to reread what I wrote? I said it was a good likeness of Delgado... age, does funny things to ya...

Wayne Guest

Doh!

They're all pretty good, although The Daleks loses marks for its wierd TARDIS. I've gone for Caves because it has the best composition, and also because I got a little smile out of noticing that Peter looks more like Christopher Eccleston. What did the artist know?

Daleks - No contest!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Yay! Colony in Space wins! (it's good to see it can win something )

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post

The Daleks - I hated this cover as a kid, because the TARDIS and Daleks are just blatantly 'wrong'. Now, of course, it has such a powerful nostalgia kick that I really love it. But it has to be said, a purple, blank-doored, non-angular TARDIS is an odd thing to draw.
    Christos Achielleos did that a lot with this Dr. Who illustrations, although deliberatly stylising the show's icons in his own way quite often pays off. I always thought we were looking from at the TARDIS from an elevated angle, but looking at it again I'm not sure.

Great cover though- always thought so!