Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Wayne Guest

I can see why you didn't put Dudley in then, he would've won on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I can see why you didn't put Dudley in then, he would've won on both counts.
    As much as I adore Dudley's music, some of his purely electronic Pertwee scores are rather hard on the ear (though not, I admit, when compared to The Sea Devils!).

I think Dudley really came into his own from Season 11 onwards.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    I think Dudley really came into his own from Season 11 onwards.
    I agree up to a point. Seeing as how my favourite's of his are the likes of Pyramids & Talons. Some of his earlier work right back to the Troughton era, is variable but mostly good IMO.
    I really liked Burgon's music, He has a great feel. But i'd liked him to've had the chance to do more, (even at the expense of Dudley) to see whether he would've proved to've been as versatile as Dud, because i think the scores he did provide, were very similar, much as i liked them.
    Although as a rule, i don't often listen to incidental music on it's own. Because it's incidental music. And IMHO, the best incidental music is written to provide mood/ambiance, & underscore what's happening on the screen. That IMO is the function of incidental music. It's not about wring pretty melodies, even though that might make better listening to in isolation, if you get what i mean.
    That's why i don't get on with some of Paddy Kingsland's stuff. Some of which i found a bit twee, when i was doing 80's re-appraisal threads a few years back.

What an odd result!
    Surprise in a "Last Standing thread" where fairness and fairplay get cast to the four winds?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Surprise in a "Last Standing thread" where fairness and fairplay get cast to the four winds?
    It's still very much a surprise for all the reasons I gave.

I really liked Burgon's music, He has a great feel. But i'd liked him to've had the chance to do more, (even at the expense of Dudley) to see whether he would've proved to've been as versatile as Dud, because i think the scores he did provide, were very similar, much as i liked them.
    That’s an interesting thought. I agree with you entirely that his two scores are brilliant but samey.

Although as a rule, i don't often listen to incidental music on it's own. Because it's incidental music. And IMHO, the best incidental music is written to provide mood/ambiance, & underscore what's happening on the screen. That IMO is the function of incidental music.
    Again, I agree. You’re not really supposed to consciously notice incidental music, it’s supposed to form part of the whole package of the film or show. However, I listen to Who incidental music quite a lot, mostly out of nostalgia.

It's not about wring pretty melodies, even though that might make better listening to in isolation, if you get what i mean. That's why i don't get on with some of Paddy Kingsland's stuff. Some of which i found a bit twee, when i was doing 80's re-appraisal threads a few years back.
    Paddy Kingsland isn’t my favourite either, but I adore his moody score for Logopolis – partly due to nostalgia again, but also because it’s soooo perfect for the atmosphere of the story.

Wayne Guest

However, I listen to Who incidental music quite a lot, mostly out of nostalgia.
    The reason why Carey & Burgon were my favourites on this thread, is because on the rare occasions when i fancy listening to stuff like this, it's almost always their music.
    Not really from a nostalgia point of view, but because of the atmosphere they create. Especially Carey.

Maybe I ought to try and find the Carey CD then so I can give his stuff some proper consideration.

Wayne Guest

Look no further.

Oh yes - I hadn't thought of that!

Thanks.

Devil's Planets:- The Music of Tristram Cary is one of my favourite incidental music albums.

OK, shall we do it all over again, only this time with Murray and Dudley....?

Pip Madeley Guest

Easier just to have a poll, surely?

Easier just to say Dudley wins & save everyone the time & effort!