Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Captain Tancredi Guest

It probably looked fine on paper, with heavy use of existing sets and costumes. I'm not sure that Read and Williams ever quite got the hang of structuring a six-part story, though, and in the case of 'Invasion' it was their first real crisis as most of the season's scripts had already been commissioned or written by Robert Holmes. So there's probably an element of one of their first projects as a team being to write a six-part season finale from scratch.

I think perhaps they took Robert Holmes' advice that a six-parter is just a four-parter and a two-parter stuck together, a bit too literally. To a large degree, it's true of Seeds, and Talons, but with this one the story actually does finish at the end of part four, with no loose ends left at all - so consequently the last two episodes always feel like an afterthought.

But for a script knocked out over a weekend, it's not that bad - the first four (particularly the first two) episodes are really excellent (IMHO).

Pip Madeley Guest

I enjoyed the commentary for this, nice mix of contributors, particularly Louise Jameson. Despite it being a six-parter they managed to keep talking & keep me interested. Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I think perhaps they took Robert Holmes' advice that a six-parter is just a four-parter and a two-parter stuck together, a bit too literally. To a large degree, it's true of Seeds, and Talons, but with this one the story actually does finish at the end of part four, with no loose ends left at all - so consequently the last two episodes always feel like an afterthought.

But for a script knocked out over a weekend, it's not that bad - the first four (particularly the first two) episodes are really excellent (IMHO).
    I've always thought of it as three 2 parters.

Make way for a naval officer!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I've always thought of it as three 2 parters.
    That doesn't surprise me.

I've always thought of it as four 1½ parters.

I think - and the Radio Times might back me up on this - that the story 'The Invasion of Time' is actually a six parter. But don't quote me on that.

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've always thought of it as boring...but I might be wrong.