Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Invasion of Time DVD - Out Now!

The Black Orchid special features name 'Invasion Of Time' as the story featured on the 'Coming Soon' trailer. And Lousie Jamesson has just recorded three commentaries for DW.....

Will it come in special tin foil packaging??
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I know it's not universally loved but I'd be interested in this as I've never really see the story before.

A poor choice. Again the powers-that-be ignore many worthy Tom Baker stories and insist on representing the show in this very high profile era of impressionable new fans with an cheap and incomprehensible end-of-season dullard.

Si.

On the bright side, we can chuck FOUR videotapes away with the news of these releases.

Si.

It makes sense, what with it being the last Sontaran story to get out of the door.

I demand a free model cog!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Can we foresee a Sontaran box set thing shaped like a big silver ball in the shops for Christmas?

Si.

It makes sense really to get this one out of the way... maybe we'll get the Deadly Assassin too and thus all the Gallifrey stories will be out of the way, ready for a special colour Gallifrey boxset. Or something.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well this doesn't excite me as much as Black Orchid but it'll be good to have it on DVD. At least it'll be out of the way.

Wayne Guest

Could be worse, but could be a lot better. At least we get to see Leela in her best cozzie in full shiny disc quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Could be worse, but could be a lot better. At least we get to see Leela in her best cozzie in full shiny disc quality.
    I was disheartened but things are looking up already

So who's going to be first to use DVD Zoom on the swimming pool scene?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Me probably.

It's not worth it, the camera angles mean you wouldn't see much, whatever you did. I imagine.

'The Invasion Of Time' isn't a bad story at all, considering the production problems, and is something of an epic. OK, so it's got its faults (Glaswegian Vardans, Cockney Sontarans etc.) but it's got one of those great companions-that-never-were in Rodan, the best Borusa in John Arnatt, and one of Tom's finest performances. Bring it on, I say!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    It's not worth it, the camera angles mean you wouldn't see much, whatever you did. I imagine.
    I see Dave has actually considered it seriously.

I have to play devils adocate/the villain for a moment and ask how many more shoddy stories we have to "get out the way" before we acknowledge that the release choices are consistently making Doctor Who look crap?

Maybe they think that they should get all the dross out now while the show is popular (and anything will sell) then if ever the range's future is in doubt when the show has a lower profile, then they'll have all the good stories left to bolster sales?

Unfortunately I disagree with this strategy! The show must currently be gaining new fans from the New Series and a lot of the stories coming out (most of them, last year) are among the worst! It's making 'classic Doctor Who' seem a lot poorer than it is!

That's my opinion anyway. I appreciate that "Invasion" being crap is, to some extent, just my point of view, but I think it's fair to say that most people would agree it's the show at its most speed-written and cheap-looking, at least.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I see Dave has actually considered it seriously.
    No, I wouldn't consider it that seriously.

Besides, I doubt you'd see more than you do in 'Talons'.

I agree. I want Seeds of Doom out there now!!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Besides, I doubt you'd see more than you do in 'Talons'.

Ah but Louise's thighs are at their (slightly chunkier) best during S15, & the Fendahl/Invasion of Time cozzie doesn't have that irritating flap getting in the way.

I don't think anyone who's coming to the show new will really be able to tell the difference between what we think looks crap and what we think looks good. I think archive tv always looks much the same to people who aren't as used to it as we are.

Personally I can't really find the effort to get worked up about the DVD release choices any more. We're going to get everything released eventually and it doens't matter whatever stories are picked, as someone will complain about them being a crapp'un. I'm always just pleased to see the extras and the clean up. Perhaps I'm losing my rabid fanboy edge.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I don't think anyone who's coming to the show new will really be able to tell the difference between what we think looks crap and what we think looks good.
    I guess that's the question. Certainly growing up experiencing the stories for the first time I could tell the difference, but then again my favourites then didn't match what I recognise now as the quality stories (which is more in line with general feeling) - for example I really liked "The Mutants", "The Time Monster" and (yes) "The Invasion of Time". So perhaps you are right.

I just hope new fans fall for the charm of the stories, and don't get put off by the wonkier visuals of some that are coming out. I only want stories like "Enlightenment" and "Full Circle" released because I know they look gorgeous, and I'd love to think of newcomers thinking "Wow! I thought they said this show was cheap? This looks fab!"

Si.

I may be being a naiive, but I'd like to think that somebody new who comes to look at the Classic Series and then becomes a proper fan would see something positive in every story, which, Timelash aside, I'd like to think that 'we' generally do.

In other words, if they're going to like the Classic Series it'll take a lot more than TIOT to put hem off.

it'll take a lot more than TIOT to put hem off.
    I just hope the cumulative effect of "Time Flight", "Timelash", "Arc of Infinity", "The Invasion of Time" etc. doesn't do it!

Si.

Wayne Guest

As good as 'Enlightenment' & others may look in comparison to some other Classic Who, i think it'll all be about the same to anyone who's only used to the New Series & modern/contemporary production values in general.

Pip Madeley Guest

I think this is fantastic news, can't wait to own it on DVD.

I agree with Pip! A wonderfully fun story and smashing to see it being released. It's one of my favourites.

2008 is shaping up like a good year, DVD release wise.
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"