Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post

I still think 7/10's way too generous!
    No it's not. You're renowned for your scrooge scoring.

It's true I score about 1 less but wait a minute...

Fistful of Dollars 8 and Devil Doll 7... is there really just one mark between these two!?

Wayne Guest

It's true I score about 1 less but wait a minute...

Fistful of Dollars 8 and Devil Doll 7... is there really just one mark between these two!?
    Yep. Westerns don't do it for me as much as horror films.
    If i had to choose between a 7/10 horror, & an 8 or even 9/10 western, i'd probably take the horror film. I admit it's not logical Captain, but i love my horror films. You know if i give a horror film a 3/10 score like 'Curse of the Werewolf', then's it's gotta be a real duffer!

Yes well I'll make sure and pay even more attention to your low scores on the Horrors!

For me I rate them the same across the board - sometimes I'm more in the mood for a particular genre but I enjoy the best of all types fairly equally

Wayne Guest

Totally fair enough.

Tonight i've been warming up for another big horror stint of (mostly) British films from the 50's to the 70's, (full list coming soon) by watching a Docu that i recently acquired.
    called 'Universal Horror', which obviously covers Universal's films.
    And also a Sci-Fi docu narrated by Christopher Lee called '100 Years of Science Fiction', which had loads of great clips from allsorts classic & cult films. Many of which i'd never heard of, & several of which were very amusing!

Sounds interesting Wayne - I shall await with anticipation

Wayne Guest

You can blame bloody Jonathan Rigby! Ive been trying to get all the films covered in his book.

1408 (2007)

Well I wasn’t quite sure what to make of this one. I think it starts well but I just wasn’t satisfied overall with it. Sure it’s got great effects and so forth but this is the problem, too much emphasis and reliance on this as usual with modern films. Where “The Others” succeeds big time as a modern offering in the haunted spooky stakes of thick atmosphere, this sadly should have been a lot better. I’d agree the ventilator shaft pursuit was one of the highlights and had this kind of suspense been kept up then the movie would have been far better.

I liked John Cusack’s performance so I see no faults there. It’s a 6/10 from me! Thanks to Matt & Wayne for lending

Masters of Horror S2 – Dream Cruise (sponsored by the MacNimon )

“Absolutely terrified of the sea, an American lawyer reluctantly goes on an ocean cruise to be near the wife of a client, with no idea of the grim situation that awaits them all.”

This one was definitely creepy I thought with some good suspenseful moments so I would recommend giving it a try. It reminded me of the asian horror style.

I’d give it 7/10 and not too gory either.
    Last edited by Ralph; 22nd Jan 2008 at 9:57 PM.

Wayne Guest

Fair comment, though i liked it more than you once again. It engaged me! I think Matt only gave it a 6 as well, though.

Meanwhile.......

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    i've been warming up for another big horror stint of (mostly) British films from the 50's to the 70's, (full list coming soon)
    Sounds interesting Wayne - I shall await with anticipation
    Here's my upcoming list of horrors. (In no particular order)
    (Including one or two borderline category ones, that may end up on other threads)

THE ASPHYX (uncut) (1973)
    THE INNOCENTS (1961)
    VAMPYRES (1974)
    THE DEADLY BEES (1967)
    THE OBLONG BOX (1969)
    BLACK SABBATH (1963)
    THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE (1973)
    BURKE AND HARE (1972)
    BIZARRE (aka SECRETS OF SEX!) (1970)
    MAGIC (I978)
    NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1957)
    THE HANDS OF ORLAC (1960)
    THE CITY OF THE DEAD (aka HORROR HOTEL) (1960)
    THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING (1965)
    PEEPING TOM (1960)
    CAT GIRL (1957)
    THE SNAKE WOMAN (1961)
    THE LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM (1988)
    THE TOMB OF LIGEIA (1964)
    CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD (1980)
    THE DEVIL'S MEN (1976)
    INCENSE FOR THE DAMNED (aka BLOODSUCKERS) (1970)
    THE SORCERERS (1967)
    CORRUPTION (1968)
    GOODBYE GEMINI (1970)
    THE NIGHTCOMERS (1972)
    MUMSY, NANCY SONNY, & GIRLY (1969)
    THE CAR (1977)
    DON'T LOOK NOW (1973) (Ta Ralph)
    THE TELL TALE HEART (1960)
    CRY OF THE BANSHEE (1970)
    HORROR HOSPITAL (1973)
    THE MASKS OF DEATH (1984)
    THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979)
    PANíS LABYRINTH (2006)
    DR JEKYLL & MR HYDE (1941)
    THE FLY (1958)
    RETURN OF THE FLY (1959)
    CURSE OF THE FLY (1965)
    CAT PEOPLE (1982)

Also one for the Hammer thread:

THE MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH (1959)

and probably THE LEGEND OF THE WEREWOLF (from Mac)

And if that's not enough, I still have a 50 film Box Set from Matt! (List of those films HERE.

All that should keep me going for a while.

I haven't watched anything tonight, because i've been installing programs & transfering files on my new PC, & generally getting used to it & setting it up how want it.
    Just the broadband internet left to sort out now at the end of the month.
    However, i might have a stab at 'The Man Who Cheat's Death' over on the Hammer thread if i feel like it before bed.

Edited to add: Oh, i've also got THIS to do as well!
    Last edited by Wayne; 22nd Jan 2008 at 11:34 PM.

Wayne Guest

(Including one or two borderline category ones, that may end up on other threads)
    Which reminds me....... I've still got a few 'Monster Movies' to do as well.

GODZILLA (1954)
    GORGO (1961)
    KONGA (1960)

Just some instant thoughts on your mega list Wayne:

THE INNOCENTS (1961) - thats the one Carol was raving about - so at least worth a look
    BIZARRE (aka SECRETS OF SEX!) (1970) - oh my! described as a brainy sex flick on IMDB
    NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1957) - I still remember that from a BBC2 horror season back in the late 70s
    THE SORCERERS (1967) - a Michael "Witchfinder General" Reeves one - I fancied checking this one out
    CORRUPTION (1968) - Peter Cushing & Kate O'Mara - can't be too bad
    PANíS LABYRINTH (2006) - a friend tells me this is definitely worth checking out
    THE FLY (1958) - I haven't seen this for years but I suspect it's a classic just as the Incredible Shrinking Man
    RETURN OF THE FLY (1959) - never saw this one
    CURSE OF THE FLY (1965) - what a third one?
    THE MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH (1959) - never heard of this one but I see Chris Lee's in it

Which reminds me....... I've still got a few 'Monster Movies' to do as well.

GODZILLA (1954)
    GORGO (1961)
    KONGA (1960)

I got the 1998 version free with my TV back in the old century when DVDs were all new fangled and there only was about 20 in the shops

Wayne Guest

THE INNOCENTS (1961) - thats the one Carol was raving about - so at least worth a look
    BIZARRE (aka SECRETS OF SEX!) (1970) - oh my! described as a brainy sex flick on IMDB
    NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1957) - I still remember that from a BBC2 horror season back in the late 70s
    THE SORCERERS (1967) - a Michael "Witchfinder General" Reeves one - I fancied checking this one out
    CORRUPTION (1968) - Peter Cushing & Kate O'Mara - can't be too bad
    PANíS LABYRINTH (2006) - a friend tells me this is definitely worth checking out
    THE FLY (1958) - I haven't seen this for years but I suspect it's a classic just as the Incredible Shrinking Man
    RETURN OF THE FLY (1959) - never saw this one
    CURSE OF THE FLY (1965) - what a third one?
    THE MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH (1959) - never heard of this one but I see Chris Lee's in it
    Does that mean that you want to loan those particular titles?

I've ended up with a spare copy of 'The Man Who Could Cheat Death', so you have can that one for a start.

Well I'd put these 3 on the back burner until you've checked them out:

Bizzare, Return & Curse of the Fly

Otherwise I'd be pleased to borrow - ta

Wayne Guest

Ok, but the final 10 films on my list are still being done for me as we speak, but they should be here by the time i get those Carry On's.
    The one's i have here i will do tomorrow on the new superfast PC.
    Last edited by Wayne; 23rd Jan 2008 at 12:47 AM.

No rush Wayne - I'm happy to borrow whenever

Wayne Guest

Ok.
    Btw... I've just realized i've actually got 2 copies of 'Bizarre' as well, so you might as well have that one as well.
    Anything you don't like can be recycled round the network. Mac gets most of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by enzo1701 View Post
    Yeah I've seen the Silent Hill movie. And own it on DVD too... normally I'm not a fan of video game adaptations but this is the most accurate adaptation I've seen. It's not 100% of course but it's so in keeping with the style of the first two games.

Oh and yes... it has its shock moments too.
    I've got this one stored on my DVR (with probably 30 or 40 other movies) to watch one day... I have the original game for playstation... very creepy to play at night by yourself..

Still haven't seen 1408 either, but I did re-read the short story a couple of months ago when I went to re-read The Little Sisters of Eluria in my read through of The Dark Tower series (both stories are in the 'Everything's Eventual' collection.)

Wayne Guest

Well i made the first dent in my list of 40 films tonight, with two fairly random choices: 'Burke & Hare', & 'The Car'.
    I've still got about half left to do of 'The Car' because i was interupted by the phone, so that will come a bit later, but it's somehow traditional to post around midinght, (i blame 'Last Blah Standing') So here just for now is:

Burke & Hare (1972)

What a load of old tosh this was! Not a great start at all to my new batch of films!
    I have to admit that i didn't heed the clue that this was largely skipped over in Jonathan Rigby's "English Gothic", because i was admittedly attracted by the fact that Hammer Babe Yutte Stensgarrd got her kit off alongside Francoise Pascal, who older posters may remember from the TV Sit-Com 'Mind Your Language'.
    But the truth is that aside from the eye candy nudity, this film doesn't have much going for it at all. As a take on the story of the infamous bodysnatchers, i was expecting something along the lines of 1959's 'Flesh & the Fiends' as reviewed on the previous thread, but this is not a patch on it!
    The big problem is that the tone of the film is so unexpectedly lightweight! It's full of pseudo-comedy, & incredibly banal jokes! It feels more like you're watching 'Confessions of Burke & Hare'. I kept expecting Robin Askwith to pop up at any moment with his annoying DOH! faced grin! Even the incidental music sounded much more suited to a Carry On film.
    It did descend to a darker tone at times. After all, there are a few murders involved in the Burke & Hare story! But these scenes were few & far between, & it's hard to understand why this film was marketed as a Horror film at all!
    There are several familiar faces that range from Derren Nesbitt to Yootha Joyce(!), but their are no real noteworthy performances. In fact, if it wasn't for those babes romping around in the buff, this film would be a complete waste of time! No wonder it's hard to get hold of, It's crap! And has only ever been released in the States on NTSC Video.
    2/10. Half a point for each of Yutte & Francioise's tits!

You're not inspiring me to this new list of yours

I think it's safe to say I'll pass on this one If you think a Horror movie is a 2 and you rate these overall above Westerns where you've never gone below 4.5 .....

In fairness I think you've been unlucky so far - I reckon there's some nuggets in that there list

Wayne Guest

If you think a Horror movie is a 2 and you rate these overall above Westerns where you've never gone below 4.5 .....
    Not quite. There are two straight 4's at the bottom. But yes, it's an indication of how poor 'Burke & Hare' is!

In fairness I think you've been unlucky so far - I reckon there's some nuggets in that there list
    Yeah, i bloody hope so!

'The Car' is pretty good so far. I'm gonna finish it off over my cocoa in a bit. You'll probably see my review in the morning.

I look forward to your review on "The Car". Tommorow's a busy day plus there's a Burn's Supper piss up in the office in the evening so I probably won't be on much

Wayne Guest

I look forward to your review on "The Car". Tommorow's a busy day plus there's a Burn's Supper piss up in the office in the evening so I probably won't be on much
    As it happens i'm off out to Birthday bash tomorrow night anyway, & i have gym & shopping tomorrow day, but i might squeeze one in during the afternoon if i get chance. It may be the next western.

Wayne Guest

The Car (1977)

(My review contains spoilers, but i don't think it's type of film where it matters that much. It's visual film which you need to see.)

Fortunately this was rather more entertaining than Burke & Hare!
    I saw this film once many years ago, & thought it was fun. Total hokum, but enjoyable with it! Clearly influenced by 'Duel' made a few years earlier, but with a Twilight Zone slant to it. It's not really a horror film as such, but it surely must've been an influence on the Stephen King adaptation of 'Christine' made in 1983.
    This is the story of a mysterious possessed(?) black car that rolls up to a small desert town & causes mahem & terror! The apparently driverless car first starts running people down, (including a local police officer) & soon ups the anté by going after the town's marching band as it practices! The police assume that the it's a 'crazy job', ie: a nutcase driver, but a local native american elder also gives a warning of an evil omen.....
    There are some great scenes as the officers try to trap the car with road blocks, but seemingly with an intelligence of it's own, it outwits their plans big style! Goading one officer into giving chase, it lies in wait round a bend at the edge of a cliff. It gently shuts the police car's door so that he can't get out, & then deliberately forces it off the edge of a cliff, hooting it's horn & revving it's engine in apparent victorious glee! My favourite bit comes shortly after when two more patrol cars try to force it to a stop by driving straight at the car side by side to try to force it to stop. But in spectacular fashion it speeds up & up, only to brake & swerve suddenly, which forces it into a spin which goes right over the top of the patrol cars, taking out their windscreens causing them to crash & explode, whilst The Car comes shooting victoriously out of the ball of flame honking it's horn! Totally ridiculous, but it's filmed so well, & in the spirit of OTT entertainment, it makes for great fun viewing!
    Lead character Wade (also a police officer) played by James Brolin, comes close to getting a tantalizing glimpse inside, there's again the suggestion of no driver, especially when the passanger door suddenly opens with enough supernatural force to land him in hospital. But it's not all just comic strip hokum. People are killed, & it's treated seriously by the actors, who give good performances. When Wade chews out the officer who didn't cancel the parade, the officer is visibly upset, & when The Car attacks his next victim it has a darker tone. Waiting in the shadows of the night, it advances slowly towards the house before driving at full force, smashing through the windows to claim it's next victim. It sounds crazy, but it's actually quite chilling. Not only is the camera work superb, but emotional aftermath is convincingly played by the actors.
    I've seen this film described as 'Jaws on wheels', & there's certainly an element of that, but The Car is possessed with a malevolent intelligence, again portrayed in a tense scene where it traps Wade in his garage & tries to suffocate him with it's exhaust fumes until he manages to escape on his motorbike.
    Eventually, the film builds up to a tense, final chase which leads to an inevtitable but hugely enjoyable explosive climax. It was definitely a fun ride, but it also had enough of a serious edge to it as well. It could never be a terrifying film by any means, but it certainly has it's share of disquieting moments. Backed up with good, solid performances, & cracking location shooting, it makes for a more than worthwhile viewing experience, in the right frame of mind, & roars onto my shelf with a score of 7.5/10. Infact, it came damn close to getting an 8!
    Last edited by Wayne; 24th Jan 2008 at 3:00 AM.

Yay! No time to read this at the mo Wayne but I think I'd defo like to check it out! 7+ is always good on the Waynescale