Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alert! Si Hart has watched the Dominators and more!

The video's just started! It's the first time in 17.5 years!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's true! After the self imposed embargo of 17 years and 4 months I've just watched...

Episode 1:
    Funny thing this. It feels like whole new Doctor Who with Patrick Troughton, which is something quite unexpected. It wasn't too bad really. There was a good explosion when the lemon squeezer spacehip blows up and of course the Troughton, Hines and Padders interplay is really rather good, as usual.
    There are some strange things though. All the characters aside from Balon seem to be written as a whole lot younger than the actors cast in the roles. Culley should be about 18-20 but instead seems to be about 38 and balding, which makes the character seem very unconvincing really.
    The Dominators are quite good, but the costumes are silly (actually all the costumes are silly) but their constant bickring and the way they don't look at each other is already becoming wearing.
    There's a very, very unconvincing Troughton double on location. If only they hadn't shown his face.

Nice shot of Toba flanked by the Quarks on top of a hill in the cliffhanger.

I've seen far worse episodes of the show than this, but I'm sure it's going to go downhill shortly.

I'll be back after episode 2.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Isn't this one of the signs that the Apocalypse is about to begin ?
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Isn't this one of the signs that the Apocalypse is about to begin ?
    It could be. If there are Earthquakes and stuff tonight, you'll know why.

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

I like the Dominators.

I'm sure you'll be dressing up in curtains, whilst Steve chases you around the room wearing a cardboard box he made earlier ...

Traitor!

Si.

@Si!

Episode 2:

The Quark voices are good and different to what we normally get, which is rather nice. The fact that they sound like naughty children is likeable and makes them seem more meacing than their boxy design would suggest.

The Dulcians are a dull lot though. I'd side with the Dominators and make them all slaves.

I enjoyed the scenes with the Doctor and Jamie on the Dominator ship. It was good fun, and reminscent of the Teaching Mahine scenes in the Hall of Learning in The Krotons. Troughton and Hines are on good form and make this more enjoyable than it should be.

Si xx

Episode 3:

It's getting Tensa. Sorry bad joke. I keep imagining he's going to suggest to sending in the fire brigade or something, him being the highly recognisable Brian Cant.

Troughton and Hines are just great and are giving by far the most enjoyable performaces in the story.

The exploding Quark is very impressive.

The cliffhanger is exactly the same as the last one though, only with Zoe substituted by Jamie. Not good.

I'm actually quite enjoying this so far. It's not the best of the surviving Troughton's it's true, but there's quite a lot to enjoy in this new story. New to me anyway.

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

About time you watched this, Hart!

WhiteCrow Guest

One thing which elevates it though is that the Dominators tend to quarrel amongst themselves a little. This makes for good padding, and elevates the story a bit.

The Dulkans are dire - I read somewhere that early Doctor Who has a real anti-pacifist agenda, and there indeed is some delight taken in wiping out the Dull Dulkans wherever possible. I'm sure if there was a director commentary it'd be "take that you beatnik hippie".

The day the Dominators arrived meant curtains for many a Dulkan!

Episode 4:

We're marking time here, as in many stories of this era, there's not a great deal going on. However, the tensions between the Dominators and the Doctor and Zoe exploring the ship (which is really well realised- I love the screens with the pop art displays) are pretty good stuff.
    I was pleased to see Rago and a Quark visit the council of Dulcians. Shame they didn't kill more of them really, and that only Brian Cant gets shot. He deserved better than to be outlived by the ineffectual old men that had the seats!

One more to go.

Si xx

I take it you're pleasantly surprised by this so far? If so, I might give it another chance myself soon. My last viewing of this was the BSB Doctor Who weekend in 1990.

Episode 5:
    So, like in The Dalek Invasion of Earth they intercept the bomb to save the planet. Good thing Kando and Teele are now really good at physical activity!
    Lots more explosions on location too, and a nice little chase with Quarks. I liked Jamie's relish at blowing them all up and I love the fact that after every explosion all that's left of the Quarks are a pair of smoking feet! Ha!
    At least in this episode we don't cut back to the city. I'm pleased not to see how they react to everything this episode.

So, overall, I think I've misjudged this story and my hatred has been misplaced. It's nothing special, but there are many stories far worse than this one. It's main failing is that it's dull. Nothing more than average despite some good design work and some strong performances from the regulars.

6.5/10

Now I think it might be 17 years before I watch Planet of Evil again. That's a far worthier target!

Si xx

Wayne Guest

So, overall, I think I've misjudged this story and my hatred has been misplaced. It's nothing special, but there are many stories far worse than this one. It's main failing is that it's dull. Nothing more than average despite some good design work and some strong performances from the regulars.

6.5/10
    About right i'd say!

It's good when people confront their feelings on something in this way. After all, 17.5 is long time! Well done Si!

Now then, Mr.Hunt......

I think Si should give in too. I think he'd enjoy it.

Si xx

Oh my! The thread I've been waiting almost 5 years for (I met Si 5 years ago next month for the uninitiated!) I'm a little surprised you've done it all in one night, but well done!

Your overall summing up matches mine - a bit dull, but not that bad. As you say, there are a lot worse stories out there - from each Doctor (well, maybe not 9 & 10! )

I actually wouldn't mind seeing this on DVD - the VidFIRE may give it a new lease of life. I haven't seen it myself for some 8-9 years, though I should see it later this year as and when I resume my episode by episode viewing which has stalled during S5.

If I didn't do it in one night, I might have given up!

It definitely could do with a good going over by The RT. The prints are really wrteched and it looks there's a fly crawling over the screen during one of the middle episodes.

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

I really enjoy this story - I think I last watched in 2003 I believe.

The irony is some people on this thread who dislike it will probably be buying it before me on DVD.

Pip Madeley Guest

Here's my chance to promote my Dominators fanvid...

Doctor Who: Holiday On Dulkis

Ah, I remember that video I have yet to see the Dominators, but is it really all that bad? I've only seen the first ten minutes and disliked cos' I had no idea what was going on cos' the man togas and skirts were all too distracting

I still have one surviving Troughton to see. I shall give in, never. Even if some have caved in to the dullness.

I am now alone, in the bleakness!

Si.

Wayne Guest

I bet you can barely remember it, it's so long ago!

Pip Madeley Guest

Si Hunt's too cool for school.

A pact is a pact. The quest is the quest. I'd rather it be a "missing story".

Mwahahahaha.

Si.

Your loss, Si!

I was genuinely surprised to find it was a whole lot less dull than I remembered it was. Funny the tricks time plays on you.

Si xx