Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Why couldn't dvd's have been around 15 years ago? When I see how much money I spent on getting all those Doctor Who videos, almost the entire Star Trek (original & TNG) series, B5 seasons 1-3, and numerous ITC releases of such series as The Saint, Man In A Suitcase, The Baron, The Persuaders, Danger Man etc on VHS...and nowadays (when I haven't got the same money available to spend ) see them released at a fraction of the cost on dvd...

And the amount of space these videos take up in the loft is unbelievable...

The dvd season boxset is the best thing ever invented! Maybe one day I'll win the lottery...
    ah but had DVD's been around 15 years ago they would have been just as expensive to buy as a video. Don't forget 15 years ago there was no internet meaning there were no internet retailers to buy it cheaply from meaning you had no choice but to buy it at BBC prices.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Are you one of those who buys them religiously on their release, or do you tend to hang back a bit like me to pick and choose those you want when they're available more cheaply a few months later? I went through the phase of buying everything as soon as it was released on video in the late 80s/early 90s when I was single and had loads of cash, but nowadays I have to be more choosy what I spend my hard-earned dosh on.
    Snap.

The day of release saw me in HMV buying the latest VHS. Not any more. I havent bought that many DVD's and the ones I have have been bought for me as presents. I usually wait for the half price sale or get them BOGOF.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    ah but had DVD's been around 15 years ago they would have been just as expensive to buy as a video. Don't forget 15 years ago there was no internet meaning there were no internet retailers to buy it cheaply from meaning you had no choice but to buy it at BBC prices.
    I remember buying the very first VHS release in WHSmith's. The Revenge of the Cybermen cost me over 30!
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    I remember buying the very first VHS release in WHSmith's. The Revenge of the Cybermen cost me over 30!
    Revenge of the Cybermen, was the 1st video I bought way back in the mid 80's but i'm pretty sure I never paid 30 for it..

Initially I used to buy them as they came out, a tradition that continued when I was with my ex, but after leaving him I sort of lost track of them. I got the occasional one when it came out (like 'Horror of Fang Rock'), but recently I've started getting them as they come out. And the ones I've missed I buy in chronological order as and when my nephew and I get to them in our watching of the entire series (well, entire in the sense of every DVD release). Only got four left now, so all is well. By the end of Feb I'll be bang up to date. And will not slip again, since I preorder from play.com.

Yay!
    Last edited by Andy Frankham; 21st Dec 2006 at 10:14 PM.
    I am out there... somewhere.

I've only got the stories so far that I particularly want to own on DVD and, on a limited budget I get them when I can afford to and, cheapest possible place (although, not via online companies).
    "Have you betrayed US?" - "Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK! - Avon.

I gt them when I can afford them from the cheapest online retailer at the time. Even when I have the money there and then, I wouldn't go out and buy it from the shops or stick to one specific online retailer.
    My friend Steve's one of those people who feel they have to have it as soon as it comes out, and will pay more for the privelege, I respond that I'm not daft enough to pay more for something just to get it on the day it comes out, and have enough patience to wait. I still haven't got the Series 2 boxset, and my life hasn't fallen apart without it, I'm not sure he can understand that though.

I've had every one going back to 2002 pre-ordered from online retailers.

I`m a bit selective - I love the b/w era so i`ll buy those mainly!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Crewe View Post
    I`m a bit selective - I love the b/w era so i`ll buy those mainly!
    sadly we don't get an awful lot of those released ..

I am miles behind on the classic DVD's as I collected the whole set on VHS and am in no real rush to replace them. I have got both the new series boxsets and pre-ordered them.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    I am miles behind on the classic DVD's as I collected the whole set on VHS and am in no real rush to replace them. I have got both the new series boxsets and pre-ordered them.

I all so have bar 5 stories the whole lot on VHS - but decided to start getting them on DVD to cut down on space they took up and all so to have a much better quality of picture which so much improves my enjoyment of the story.

I dont have a VHS player to watch them anymore as we have a DVD recorder these days. If I see one going cheap then I'll pick it up. All my VHS's are on shelves around the top of the bedroom wall and are out of the way. It would be nice to change them all one day.

If you're not using the videos any more I'd say NOW is the time to sell as the amount they're worth is rapidly decreasing now we're more than half way through the DVD releases!

Captain Tancredi Guest

More than half way? I make it about a third- these are just rough figures from working through a list, but I make it 42 down with about 91 to go.

Either that, or somebody better start inventing a new format so we can start doing it all over again in ten years' time.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Either that, or somebody better start inventing a new format so we can start doing it all over again in ten years' time.
    Oh don't worry, they will.

More than half way? I make it about a third- these are just rough figures from working through a list, but I make it 42 down with about 91 to go.

I meant in terms of timescale rather than number of releases...it's about 8 years now since The Five Doctors came out, but it shouldn't take another 8 years to get the rest out at the present release rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    If you're not using the videos any more I'd say NOW is the time to sell as the amount they're worth is rapidly decreasing now we're more than half way through the DVD releases!
    I had toyed with the idea, but they were not fetching very much on EBAY.

haven't they now got some thing called Blue-ray not forgeting the M3pd (or what ever they are)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T
    meant in terms of timescale rather than number of releases...it's about 8 years now since The Five Doctors came out, [b]but it shouldn't take another 8 years to get the rest out at the present release rate[b].

Think youll probably find it will take more than 8 years to release every thing onto DVD - it took 20 years to release every thing onto video and that was with a release rate of 12 stories a year during the 90's.
    Last edited by Larry; 31st Jan 2007 at 9:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Think youll probably find it will take more than 8 years to release every thing onto DVD - it took 20 years to release every thing onto video and that was with a release rate of 12 stories a year during the 90's.
    There were only about 12 videos released in the whole of the 80s though remember! So the vast majority of the videos were released in the space of 13 years, 1990-2003.

The current release rate of the DVDs is ten slots a year, one of which being a box set with 3 or more stories in it. Going at that rate they should all be out by 2014.

Pip Madeley Guest

Nice number-crunching there, Tate.

I get the ones i really want when they come out-the lmore average stories i wait for. DVD's are secondary to me, its the BF stuff that matters most since its new every month.

Have yet to get series 1, series 2, City of death, The Invasion, Hand of Fear, Sontaran Experiment, New Beginings.

I'll wait until they get cheaper before i get those-they are not worth 12!

I tend to wait until they have been released for a while and then buy them

I can't find The Sontaran Experiment any where though
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

Pip Madeley Guest

Thasc, it's very easy to find. Cheapest at Choices UK at 8.39, but you can save a further 10% off this week only if you use the voucher code SALE10 during checkout (making it 7.55).

Ok, I'll have a look, thanks
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'